• The KillerFrogs

Yahoo! Sports: Everything Brent Venables had to say following Oklahoma’s loss to TCU

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Everything Brent Venables had to say following Oklahoma’s loss to TCU​

John Williams

What can a head coach say after a game like yesterday but “we’re bad.” Now Venables went on to say, “but we’re not that bad,” however the game didn’t provide much to the contrary on Saturday against TCU.

On both sides of the ball, from start to finish, there wasn’t much to write home about for the Oklahoma Sooners in their 55-24 loss to the TCU Horned Frogs. Head coach Brent Venables couldn’t hide his disappointment in the Sooners in his postgame press conference.

Let’s take a look at what he had to say.

Read more at https://sports.yahoo.com/everything-brent-venables-had-following-205047931.html

Limey Frog

Mom lives in Oklahoma and has a lot of OU friends. She said almost no one there gives TCU an ounce of credit. It was all about OU not showing up, looking ahead to Texas, blah blah blah. She is about ready to unfriend some. Haha

All my in-laws are Sooners, although most of them very reasonable. I hate to defend backstabbing SEC-types, but it kind of goes with the territory and it's going to be the same with Ohio State, Alabama, or whomever that has that much history. They beat unranked team X, it's because they're awesome; they lose to unranked team X, it's because they suck. Fans do it, beat writers do it, national writers do it. It will ever be thus. That's why you need the expanded playoff, then it's just about as much noise as the basketball AP poll.

Eight

Mom lives in Oklahoma and has a lot of OU friends. She said almost no one there gives TCU an ounce of credit. It was all about OU not showing up, looking ahead to Texas, blah blah blah. She is about ready to unfriend some. Haha

not just in the state of oklahoma, this board has seen more than one poster attempt to make last saturday's game appear as some sort of polished [ Finebaum ] as opposed to tcu being the better prepared, more physical, better executing team which is what i saw on saturday

don't know how this season plays out for the frogs, don't know if dykes is the long term answer for this program, and not certain what i am going to have for lunch today

two things i am certain is there will be no pumpkin for lunch and a pretty good tcu football team whipped ou's collective arses last saturday

Last edited:

froginaustin

Dykes may not be the long term solution for TCU because a lot of the people associated with OU football who count in their decision-making are not dummies, and actually watched the game (and last week's OU v. K-State game). Having watched OU football, and TCU football last year and this year, I wouldn't be stunned if they tried to money-whip Dykes to Norman.

A'nM ought to be thinking about Dykes too, but I doubt he is a big enough name (not yet, anyway) to attract their attention.

To change the subject ever so slightly, I can't imagine A'nM not having the resources to buy out Jimbo's contract. Vast waste of resources? That happened when A'nM signed that contract. Getting rid of a disappointment can't be stopped by a sunk cost-- although the litigation over either side claiming a "for cause" firing or a breached contract would be fun to watch.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Dykes may not be the long term solution for TCU because a lot of the people associated with OU football who count in their decision-making are not dummies, and actually watched the game (and last week's OU v. K-State game). Having watched OU football, and TCU football last year and this year, I wouldn't be stunned if they tried to money-whip Dykes to Norman.

A'nM ought to be thinking about Dykes too, but I doubt he is a big enough name (not yet, anyway) to attract their attention.

To change the subject ever so slightly, I can't imagine A'nM not having the resources to buy out Jimbo's contract. Vast waste of resources? That happened when A'nM signed that contract. Getting rid of a disappointment can't be stopped by a sunk cost-- although the litigation over either side claiming a "for cause" firing or a breached contract would be fun to watch.
How much does OU owe Venables? They would have to take care of that before attempting to money-whip Sonny. And, Sonny is no dummy: I'm not entirely certain what the TCU Contract stips are, but they won't be broken cheaply, so OU would be looking at that expense, too, in addition to the gargantuan sum his agent would lay out before them. The other thing is, Sonny has a little of that "I'm in a pretty good spot right here" thing going on right now. Why would he leave a place he is (currently) adored, for someplace which just tied their brand new coach to a post and burned him alive? And who is heading to the SEC with a bare cupboard? OU has a tough sell if that is what they are thinking...

A&M might be getting off easy with Jimbo, comparatively.

As to the Aggie derlemon, oh, how fun it is to watch them writhe in consternation! Somewhere (most likely on a golf course), Kevin Sumlin is roaring with laughter...

Hemingway

I think Dykes sees a clearer path to the cfp through the B12. I think that he left smu because he was frustrated with the conference alignment. If we pick up the four corner schools and maybe another , this would probably be one of the most competitively balanced conferences. OU and A&M will never make it out of Atlanta.
Look at Nebraska, rarely does the new conference workout for the old bluebloods. He’s a baseball guy at heart so he should be smarter then a lot of others.

Eight

Man, if I were a coach I think I'd want to stay away from the cesspool that is Aggie boosters.

On the other hand, the instantaneous guaranteed generational wealth that you could easily con them into giving you would be sorely tempting...

we see things differently, any ag who wants to hire me to that contract and five years in come to me and ask if we can come to some agreement on the 75M you owe me to walk away i am open to discussion

82 Frog Fever

…..I wouldn’t be stunned if they tried to money-whip Dykes to Norman.
I doubt they’d fire Venables unless he goes less than .500 on the season, & Venables has more than $35m remaining on his 6 yr contract after this year.
Plus Sonny has an $8m buyout clause, plus they’d need to pay Sonny at least $7m/year.
Lebby might be a more economical choice

Eight

I doubt they’d fire Venables unless he goes less than .500 on the season, & Venables has more than $35m remaining on his 6 yr contract after this year.
Plus Sonny has an $8m buyout clause, plus they’d need to pay Sonny at least $7m/year.
Lebby might be a more economical choice

agree, think it is far more likely venables cleans house among his defensive staff and i am not sure you hold him accountable for their quarterback issues.

by the time he could truly address the talent transferring out there were very few choices.

froginaustin

I think Dykes is off to a great start here at TCU, but talk of teams poaching this coach are way premature. Beating OU (a much depleted OU and without Lincoln Riley) may not be much of a test. We have much tougher games ahead.

I think you are right and I sure hope you are.

But with the insane numbers that are being thrown around in college football these days, I certainly wouldn't be sure. Any time a program with TCU's resources is lookin' good, and a program with significantly bigger budgets isn't, the former's coaches will be eyed by the latter.

Change the names in the hypothetical a bit, and SMU should have mixed feelings if Lashlee nails it in Dallas.
:)