• The KillerFrogs

Yahoo! Sports: ‘Like 100 men have left the room’: Sally Jenkins’ stirring tribute to her father

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
ed5ceeb89353fb79a029e8043a8ea018

‘Like 100 men have left the room’: Sally Jenkins’ stirring tribute to her late father Dan

Sally Jenkins
Golf Digest

Editor's Note: Dan Jenkins, the Hall of Fame golf writer and Golf Digest Writer-at-Large, died on March 7, 2019. Below is the eulogy written by daughter Sally Jenkins (also an acclaimed sports writer) for his funeral at Christ Chapel Bible Church in his native Fort Worth, Texas.

Looking at the number of people here today, and having seen the flags at half-staff at TCU and Colonial … and Dad’s picture on the front page of the papers, and on the wall of restaurants like his beloved Paris Coffee Shop, I’m reminded of what our friend and fellow sportswriter Bryan Curtis once observed when he walked around Fort Worth with our father: If you didn’t know better, you’d think Dan Jenkins was the dictator of a small banana republic.

I want to begin with some of our Dad’s own words, a sentence that is among my mother’s favorite that he ever wrote. It’s the opening to his novel Baja Oklahoma.

Read more at https://sports.yahoo.com/100-men-left-room-sally-125739942.html

Deep Purple

Dan was a salty writer, but he was a great salty writer.
He was even saltier in private speech. That guy could drop more F-bombs in 10 minutes than I have dropped probably in my entire life. But when he got a keyboard in front of him, he was a master of Texas prose.

Once upon a time, the greatest sportswriter in American history was Grantland Rice. Than along came Dan Jenkins and claimed the throne. Now the exalted seat is empty again. Who will be the next to occupy it?

The King is dead. Long live the King.