• The KillerFrogs

WVU Game and Other notes

Skip Jansen

a little? you are being polite skip....culver worked him last year in that game to the tune of 22 & 21

LOL. Yeah, you're probably right. He's wasn't the only culprit unfortunately.

I think the Frogs PGs had a Ortg of around 60 and a Drtg of over 100. Gonna have to clean it up if the Frogs are to have any chance tomorrow night.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
He graduated a long time ago so I am not sure how that is supposed to help RJ and FF get the ball up the court.
Yes, but when he played for Killer he just carved up pressing defenses like a roast. One hopes that this knowledge has been retained...

Skip Jansen

This is the type of game that would catapult us forward. Probably in top 25 with a win. A loss wouldn't be a big deal either way IMO because it is expected but as long as we play relatively close I would feel good.

One thing I can guarantee about tomorrow night's game. Neither team is going to sniff the century mark like last year (regardless of the 3 OTs).

StinnettFrog

I am hoping we compete well. A win there would be a big surprise to me. West Virginia and Tech are the two teams I think we will have a very difficult time even staying close. I just don't think our ball handling is good enough at this point. I am hoping to be very pleasantly surprised.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
I think we keep it close because from what I understand, they don't shoot well. Teams that have snipers we struggle against. Teams that struggle to score themselves risk a game like we've had against KSU and ISU, aka a coin flip.

Skip Jansen

I think we keep it close because from what I understand, they don't shoot well. Teams that have snipers we struggle against. Teams that struggle to score themselves risk a game like we've had against KSU and ISU, aka a coin flip.

As long as there isn't a huge discrepancy in post play (like last year), it should be a close game.

Huggins is going to go right at Kev from the jump. It'll be interesting to see how we defend it.

Jamie's basic philosophy is for the strong side wing to play half way when the ball enters the post. Against Culver and Oscar, it might be better to double on the catch and dig out the post. I would take my chances on giving their perimeter players an open look before I would let their post players try to get Kev and Ledee in foul trouble. Maybe Jamie changes it up tomorrow night.

Purp

This is a good point. Before reading that I was expecting a double-digit loss. Now I agree this could be a coin flip type game if we don't have a lid on our basket.

I'm still worried, though. Tech was an awful offensive team last year until we went to Lubbuttock and they couldn't miss Larry Bird/MJ McDonald's commercial shots for 40 minutes. I'm hoping the Eer offense doesn't have a similar renaissance against us tonight. We're more athletic and better defensively this year than last so I don't expect the same type of blowout is likely this year, but we're certainly capable of turning the ball over 25 times giving them a ton of extra possessions. We're also capable of missing 60% of our free throws, which is like a turnover every other trip to the line.

I made the point a week or two ago that I felt Tech and WVU are tougher match-ups for us than Baylor and Kansas simply due to the way they play defense and our proclivity to turn the ball over with pressure on our young players. Probably the same reasons Stinnett feels that way. Hopefully their offensive struggles can make me eat crow at least once this season.

Eight

i believe this game becomes a game of wills on the wvu offensive end.

wvu is not a good outside shooting team. roughly over 30% from 3 for the year and ~ 22% , but they don't want to shoot 3's

they want to pound the ball inside as they have taken 599 shots inside the arc and 297 from outside the arc this year.

they took roughly 2/3 of their shots inside the arc against kansas and tech and they might have won that game against kansas if they don't miss 10 free throws (shot 12 of 22)

wvu pounds the ball inside, they got it inside against kansas and they did against tech. ok state is the only one of the three that forced them to shoot almost half their shots from 3.

tcu does not have the front court size of kansas or the overall length of tech so a great deal is going to depend upon making the entry pass as tough as possible on the player feeding the post and the frogs absolutely, positively must minimize the number of offensive rebounds.

the other areas that concern me the most are that teams for the year are shooting 22% from 3 against wvu and their opponents have an inverted assist to turnover ratio.

the frogs 3-point shooting carried them through the first 3 big 12 games. will that continue and will they do a better job protecting the ball against a team that turns people over? frogs assist to turnover ratio in conference is close to 1:1 which is a downward trend.

Last edited:

TRF51

They are smashing us but there is another half. Was hoping we would cut it to under 10 by the half. That white Dude is dropping 3s in our face.

Nolaeer

Huggins is a hof coach. Dixon isn't a good x and O coach. there's your difference.

He calls a time out when his team had just hit 4 3's in a row. Idiot. But what can you expect from a Pitt coach?