Choose one

• Win the Rose Bowl / NY6 game

Votes: 76 79.2%
  • Lose the NCAA basketball championship game

Votes: 20 20.8%

• Total voters

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Agreed, but when you factor in the fact that football is so much more important than basketball these days I think it makes the two different scenarios much more equal. If you play in and win a Rose Bowl/NY6 game you have a championship-caliber team, and when you have that in by far the most important, relevant sport that is about as good as it gets.

Would you rather be an Alabama or Kentucky fan?

I’d rather have TCU diploma...

netty2424

Agreed, but when you factor in the fact that football is so much more important than basketball these days I think it makes the two different scenarios much more equal. If you play in and win a Rose Bowl/NY6 game you have a championship-caliber team, and when you have that in by far the most important, relevant sport that is about as good as it gets.

Would you rather be an Alabama or Kentucky fan?
I would be willing to bet, Texas Tech’s MBB program got more publicity/hype/benefit (whatever all that means collectively, not sure how you quantify it) leading up to and being in a national championship game than TCU got for smoking Ole Miss in the Peach.

Just a guess.

There are multiple NY6 games. There’s only one championship game.

Wexahu

I would be willing to bet, Texas Tech’s MBB program got more publicity/hype/benefit (whatever all that means collectively, not sure how you quantify it) leading up to and being in a national championship game than TCU got for smoking Ole Miss in the Peach.

Just a guess.

Maybe so, but it's all kind of fleeting anyway, and it's easy to think TT got more pub because it all happened so recently. I remember we got a ton of pub back in 2014 as well for not just the Peach Bowl, but for being in the mix for the better part of 6 weeks. If football and basketball were remotely equal your last sentence would have a lot more validity IMO, but they aren't.

I'm not trying to discredit Tech in any way, what they accomplished was damn near amazing, and I was rooting for them pretty hard because I liked that team so much, but college football is just on another than college basketball in terms of importance.

YA

College football drives the media bus and conference stability, not basketball. Always been that way and will always be that way.

Eight

College football drives the media bus and conference stability, not basketball. Always been that way and will always be that way.

conference stability is driven by eyes on the television screens and don't downplay the importance of the value of the basketball side of the contracts for conferences such as the big 10 and the acc.

the biggest difference between the sports is that the conferences control their football rights and that isn't the case for basketball but the big 10, acc, and sec all have solid revenue streams off their other sports which is driven by men's basketball.

cheese83

10 years ago I would've definitely said Rose Bowl/NY6. Today I might say lose the NCAA Final in MBB, just because we've already done the football thing.

Both are/would be amazing accomplishments for a school like TCU...and yes, Texas Tech.

I’m with you, at this pt everything outside of the CFP has lost a lot of meaning IMO. Playing for the title in one of the two major sports is only exceeded by CFP games.

Brog

I was thinking the same thing. Look at College World Series. Going four times in a row was quite an accomplishment. Would you rather 4 trips in a row or go once and win it all. I think I lean to the four trips.

With you until your last sentence. No way.

mesohornedfrog

I think the better question for this board would be:

Win the Rose Bowl
or
Lost the National Championship game in FB

I think this would be dumb to not answer #2 personally. In order to get to the NCG you would, by default, have to win a Rose Bowl/NY6 game first. I kind of apply the same logic to the original question and would answer #2. Tech winning a final four game will be a lifelong memory for those fans, much like Rose Bowl was for me.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1

Just a guess.

Give it a few weeks, only the most avid fan may not even be likely to remember TT even played.