• The KillerFrogs

Would TCU Join A Super Conference?

Nick Danger

All this emphasis on TV viewers and media market size, brings up another point about why wouldn't one of these super conferences, particularly the Super Big-10 one, want TCU as a new member. In the past, one of the big knocks on TCU was the relatively small seating capacity of Amon G. Carter Stadium, but that no longer seems to matter to the people putting together these super conferences.

When discussing the requirements for membership in the separate new FBS 10 conference football group, they don't say anything about minimum stadium sizes required. Their only stated requirement has been a minimum number of sponsored teams.

It seems like with today's emphasis on the TV numbers, you could make the case that a stadium that has a maximum seating of 50,000, like The Carter has an advantage over a school that has a 60,000 seat capacity stadium. ESPN and other media providers don't actually want a large number of fans/potential TV viewers watching the game sitting in the South Endzone at the Carter. They would prefer they stay at home and watch the game on TV! That would seem to negate another TCU drawback to admission to one of these Super Conferences.
;)

McFroggin

All this emphasis on TV viewers and media market size, brings up another point about why wouldn't one of these super conferences, particularly the Super Big-10 one, want TCU as a new member. In the past, one of the big knocks on TCU was the relatively small seating capacity of Amon G. Carter Stadium, but that no longer seems to matter to the people putting together these super conferences.

When discussing the requirements for membership in the separate new FBS 10 conference football group, they don't say anything about minimum stadium sizes required. Their only stated requirement has been a minimum number of sponsored teams.

It seems like with today's emphasis on the TV numbers, you could make the case that a stadium that has a maximum seating of 50,000, like The Carter has an advantage over a school that has a 60,000 seat capacity stadium. ESPN and other media providers don't actually want a large number of fans/potential TV viewers watching the game sitting in the South Endzone at the Carter. They would prefer they stay at home and watch the game on TV! That would seem to negate another TCU drawback to admission to one of these Super Conferences.
;)

Because we don’t add enough viewers

mc1502

I tend to differ just a bit: The businesses I have known, admittedly not terribly large enterprises, certainly not Fortune 500 outfits, never operated in such a fashion. Also admittedly, I am nearing Certified Old Fart status and have long been a Retired Dispenser of Wisdom/Curmudgeon, thus my perspective on matters ethical and Basic Investment Strategy differ greatly from the now fashionable methodology. It used to be that one looked to the future, and built for the long-term. This is evidently no longer the case. The Vampire Strategy seems to be fashionable: Bleed them dry and leave the husk. The former method built value, and provided stability. The current fashion is simply nihilistic, and devoid of thought for the future. It is concerned solely with the here and now, and tomorrow be damned. Devil take the hindmost...

Beyond the current Showcase of Modern Business Ethics on display from ESPN, this is going on all over the Nation. It does not bode well for the future.
Agree. I currently work for a 120+ year old fortune 200 company. The landscape of modern business has changed the way my (and most global companies) have to do business. In the past it was always, “provide the absolute best product possible”, regardless of the cost. Now it’s, “provide the absolute cheapest product the client may accept”. My company always pitches the quality option, but the client rarely wants anything other than cheap.

Thank you global economy where every decision boils down to which company can produce the product the cheapest. Anyway, the link here is that building things of quality that last, including school spirit has gone the wayside. Today it’s all about how much $ someone can make today.

Last edited: