• The KillerFrogs

Wizard of Westwood Passes Away

West Texas Frog

John Wooden passed away tonight at the age of 99. Growing up as a kid in the 60's and 70's UCLA was my team. I had the utmost respect for one of the nicest and best coaches to have ever lived...regardless of the sport. What a great long life. God Bless!

steelfrog

Tier 1
Old guys hell. This is a great loss for all of us. But also a time to celebrate the loss of a Great Man. As legendary as his coaching accomplishments were, they are exceeded by what he represented in terms of character. God's Speed Coach Wooden.

RMZ466

I went to his basketball camp in Thousand Oaks, CA twice as a kid. The first thing he taught everyone was how to put on your socks and tie your shoes! He was at camp every day and spent time with all of us. He was a real teacher of the game. I am proud to say I earned two Pyramid of Success awards there. Maybe I should go out to the garage and find them.

RIP Coach Wooden.

Frogs1983

QUOTE(WestTexasFrog @ Jun 4 2010, 09:33 PM) [snapback]568762[/snapback]
John Wooden passed away tonight at the age of 99. Growing up as a kid in the 60's and 70's UCLA was my team. I had the utmost respect for one of the nicest and best coaches to have ever lived...regardless of the sport. What a great long life. God Bless!

I used to love watching those great UCLA teams when I was a kid.Wooden was a class act on and off the court.What he accomplished with the dynasty he put together will never be duplicated again in College basketball.

LVfrog

The finest basketball mind I have ever seen. To top it off, he was an even better person. God Bless you sir, and thank you for the wonderful memories you left us all with.

Limp Lizard

His teams were not only dominant, but entertaining, too. If you held UCLA to under 100, that was quite an accomplishment. And this was before the shot clock in college ball, too.

jack the frog

I might suggest that those that did not know much about Wooden go to ESPN and read a few articles about the man, how he honored his wife, some of his quotes, things like that. Truly a great guy.
Not many like him coming out of the hopper these days.....

pcf

As Coach Wooden was before my time a bit, my reaction to reading all his collected wisdom and about his success culminates in one question. Was this man a space alien from an advanced race?

He seemed to be an unlikely mixture of truth and eloquence with success and humility. It is amazing what happens when we actually apply our beliefs to our behavior.