• The KillerFrogs

with spring football, hope springs eternal........

Eight

pick a word to describe the frogs' football season last year, unforeseen, unexpected, unprecedented, unbelievable, unimaginable, unforgettable. heck, that is just a few of the words beginning with the letter "u"

starting with the second half against colorado, the return of max against smu, quite possibly the best half of offensive football played by a frog team against ou, the string of comebacks, the texas game, bazooka, the fiesta bowl, and yes, the title game i am fairly sure no one saw the frogs winning 13-games, playing 15, max making the award circuit how do you pick the right one word, pick one memory from the season?

tomorrow starts frog spring football 2023 and while a repeat for 2022 would be even more unimaginable than the 2022 itself, it isn't unbelievable to think that starting on monday this program reinforces the idea that the work is being done to move this program from one that competes from conference every few seasons to one that each year is on the short list as a conference favorite.

the opportunity to make this move is there with texas and ou headed to the sec, talent on this roster, and success had last season to build upon. yes, there will be big challenges for this team, texas and ou want to piss on the teams they are leaving behind, and a few other programs want to make the same claim the frogs are hoping to establish this year. what lessons were learned from last year, what changes have been made, and who is ready to take the next step in their career(s) started in january and takes root come monday.

two big lessons were learned last year. first, you can not have enough true depth. not simply names on a roster or a table posted on a website, but players who can truly compete in practice, who can play 20-30 quality snaps in a game, or step in when someone goes down. the frogs saw it last year and when you play12,13-14 games fatigue sets in, injuries pile up, and you must have depth.

second, the frogs were a more physical team last year, but they saw in the title game they have to become even more physical. not just in the lines, but in all areas. michigan showed it and georgia emphatically reinforced it that the frogs receivers must get more physical getting off the line, the frogs secondary must get physical, some will say that there is no way tcu could get as physical as that georgia team and i agree that georgia was the 1%. i would also point to the 2 games against kstate, the texas game, the baylor game, heck, the trend across the big 12 is teams getting more physical and that isn't going to change.

there are some things i hope to see happen this spring. we don't need to full blown answers, but would hope to see some signs. offensively:

quarterback - morris staying healthy and hoover showing he is capable of making the reads and the throws. still need to get another qb, but would love to see josh show some true potential

running back - bailey clean up his issues with ball security and pass protection, wren consistent signs of life, and sanders flash the 5-star potential before the wreck

receiver - don't expect savion to become quentin but he does need to get more physical, better in his short to immediate routes, the transfer receivers to adjust and show the potential for creating big plays, and someone else flash as the second big body receiver

offensive line - coker and colemen to stay health and take the next step in being pro prospects. both struggled against elite pass rushers and if they want to play on sundays there is enough film to show them they need to get better. more importantly who fills the spots left by steve and ali. can ezra can the center spot? do we finally see garrett hayes step forward? who else emerges as contributors in the offensive line rotation

defensively the frogs made a huge change last year and at times they struggled simply because they didn't really have the players at key positions. somehow though, the defense made key plays and this team won 13-games. with the changes on offense will the defense be ready to carry the weight a bit at the start of the year?

there are a number of players returning on defense, but the staff is still overhauling the talent on the defense so i wouldn't be surprised to see some changes and some surprises on defense this spring

defensive line - dam williams came in an unheralded recruit and made a significant impact on the center of the frogs' defense. who starts with him now that horton and cooper are gone? caleb fox was a late transfer who was an afterthought for me and he made big contributions in the second half of the season. does he continue to improve and take cooper's sport? ecu transfer d'abreu projects to be the guy who replaces horton, but what about two red-shirt freshmen? does ty mitchell get a shot to replace cooper or does he stay the primary back up for dam? we know that tcu will rotate 6-9 guys in their defensive line so how some of these red-shirt and true freshmen progress will be important

linebacker - the frogs return a great deal of experience in hodge and hodges plus the potential of marcel brooks. mix in banks and this is a very solid group, but who is ready to consistently make big plays to replace winters? who steps up in the second group?

cornerback - who replaces the nephew and lines up opposite of newton? the frogs return contributor ish burdine, added two very promising juco's, a top notch transfer, and return noah daniels so there will be bodies to compete not only for starting minutes but those important next two spots. what is really interesting is how the competition for minutes at corner in the spring impacts the development of the receiver's.

safety - frogs return a number of players who have started or been a contributor (perry, bradford, camara, obiazor, and clark), a trio of experienced players, and a number of young players who have great potential . who comes out of spring as a projected starter? who pushes into that critical rotation? as with cornerback, the competition at this position in the spring is also going to have an impact on the development at receiver.

thoughts on the spring?

Limey Frog

Good write-up, thanks.

I'm interested to see the off-field dynamics: how does a changed coaching staff work together? Dykes is shaping up to need to regularly reconfigure after his guys get hired away. How does it work out with Johnny Finger-tape? Similarly and related: what's the team's mojo with Max, Dee, and other leaders gone? Also now that they're not scrapping to prove everyone wrong but trying to live up to expectation? We aren't sneaking up on anyone now: how will they handle that?

LVH

Great read!

I really think experience matters in college football, especially with our program - our best years were always when we were dominated with experience. And even in the transfer portal Era, it matters.

This season needs to be a season to build on future years - just don't take too big of a step back

ShreveFrog

Biggest keys are replacements in the trenches - both sides of the ball.
Lost a ton of production, speed and big plays at WR. But hopefully the additions of Richardson, Earle, Bech and the freshman Russell will adequately fill that need.

Last edited:

Wexahu

This.

Our OL and DL were very strong last year and we have some spots open. It is not just their production but their leadership that must be filled.
I think the OL was pretty strong. The DL got by and did about as well as possible given the personnel. It was exposed big time against UGA.

The key to building a consistent winner is in the trenches. And having a competent QB of course.

Eight

Good write-up, thanks.

I'm interested to see the off-field dynamics: how does a changed coaching staff work together? Dykes is shaping up to need to regularly reconfigure after his guys get hired away. How does it work out with Johnny Finger-tape? Similarly and related: what's the team's mojo with Max, Dee, and other leaders gone? Also now that they're not scrapping to prove everyone wrong but trying to live up to expectation? We aren't sneaking up on anyone now: how will they handle that?

thanks, you make some great points limey, the chemistry for last year's team seemed unique and the entire year might be something that can't be reproduce, but a winning environment and a winning culture is something that can be repeated.

the one thing about this team going forward is while they are missing some key leaders you have a number of guys who have played big minutes and made big plays in their own right. consider at safety the return of bud clark and camara who both made huge plays in that fiesta bowl in large part to recognizing, reacting, and making the play in front of them

sonny's mantra all last year was do your job and both of those guys are examples along with others. time for the new leaders to emerge.

how briles fits with the staff is a big. how does the offense and defense continue to evolve.

also think a big key for this program going forward when you bring up staff changes is the loss of carrington to az state. think he did much more in recruiting than some realized and they need to regain that momentum

Eight

Great read!

I really think experience matters in college football, especially with our program - our best years were always when we were dominated with experience. And even in the transfer portal Era, it matters.

This season needs to be a season to build on future years - just don't take too big of a step back

thanks, when i reviewed the roster posted on gofrogs last week i was surprised by the number of juniors and juniors who have played in some very big games. the number of seniors, especially on defense is small, but this isn't an inexperienced group

they have game experience and just as importantly practice experience. might sound silly, but recall last season about halfway through that shad made the comment he now understood why gillespie was asking him to take the steps he was asking of his linebacker and use the specific shoulder etc.. not knocking shad, the prior staff, as part of learning a new scheme and working with a new staff is not only learning the scheme but what is expected in practice. learning what technique is going to be asked of you and when you naturally do that and understand the why your practice reps get that much better, you start focusing on the next aspect of how you fit in that scheme and maybe most importantly the young guys behind you see the standard and habits that are expected of them.

agree, this season, especially with all the juniors needs to be about reinforcing the foundation of the program and getting ready to fill the void when ou leaves the conference

Eight

Biggest keys are replacements in the trenches - both sides of the ball.
Lost a ton of production, speed and big plays at WR. But hopefully the additions of Richardson, Earle, Bech and the freshman Russell will adequately fill that need.

agree, have to find the two guys who help stabilize the center of the offensive line and then continue to build depth. time for guys like hayes and bolticoff to emerege

defensively, outside of dam there is a great deal of potential. can fox handle starters minutes? what about the ecu transfer? where does ty mitchell fit? what about the three red-shirt freshmen?

those young guys don't have to show they are ready to play big minutes as much as show they have the potential to play next year, flash some potential.

connor lingren is interesting to me, he has the raw size and strength is something that can be gained so.....does he have the quickness, agility, mindset to play on the defensive side of the ball in college. he doesn't need to be crushing people from the start of practice, but again, does he show the raw tools needed

Limey Frog

thanks, you make some great points limey, the chemistry for last year's team seemed unique and the entire year might be something that can't be reproduce, but a winning environment and a winning culture is something that can be repeated.
the one thing about this team going forward is while they are missing some key leaders you have a number of guys who have played big minutes and made big plays in their own right. consider at safety the return of bud clark and camara who both made huge plays in that fiesta bowl in large part to recognizing, reacting, and making the play in front of them

sonny's mantra all last year was do your job and both of those guys are examples along with others. time for the new leaders to emerge.

how briles fits with the staff is a big. how does the offense and defense continue to evolve.

also think a big key for this program going forward when you bring up staff changes is the loss of carrington to az state. think he did much more in recruiting than some realized and they need to regain that momentum

I definitely expect Sonny to keep things going. I think he's proved that he's a great coach and that TCU is a place you can win (it wasn't just Gary). But even the best coaches miss on hires and player leadership transitions sometimes. Every change is a chance to improve and a chance for something to go wrong.

I'm optimistic about Chandler's skill potential, and whatever else you can say against Coach Finger-tape, his teams score points.

agree, have to find the two guys who help stabilize the center of the offensive line and then continue to build depth. time for guys like hayes and bolticoff to emerege

defensively, outside of dam there is a great deal of potential. can fox handle starters minutes? what about the ecu transfer? where does ty mitchell fit? what about the three red-shirt freshmen?

those young guys don't have to show they are ready to play big minutes as much as show they have the potential to play next year, flash some potential.

connor lingren is interesting to me, he has the raw size and strength is something that can be gained so.....does he have the quickness, agility, mindset to play on the defensive side of the ball in college. he doesn't need to be crushing people from the start of practice, but again, does he show the raw tools needed
3 big players: Kendre Miller, Dam @ NG, and the Kaz. Miller - I am not sure we appreciate just how great he was last year. He made QB and O lines life’s a lot easier. If his knee is OK, I want to see what he does in the NFL. Can someone likecMiller step forward? Bailey? Dam - how many 17 year olds can play college ball, in the middle? I just think of Kaz feeding him raw steak in the weight room this offseason. Every LB and DE in the US is going to want to play with this guy, as he becomes the biggest disruptor on our roster. Kaz, maybe the biggest key but his magic needs more than 2 months after the National Championship to show progress. Last year was the first time in almost a decade where we manhandled teams. Losing that strength/ toughness edge is what cost GMFP his job. Kaz weight room conveyor belt should start delivering annual products to fill in the roster. Kaz makes everyone stronger/ better, Max, QJ. They were all visibly superior to their 2021 versions last year.

ticketfrog123

I definitely expect Sonny to keep things going. I think he's proved that he's a great coach and that TCU is a place you can win (it wasn't just Gary). But even the best coaches miss on hires and player leadership transitions sometimes. Every change is a chance to improve and a chance for something to go wrong.

I'm optimistic about Chandler's skill potential, and whatever else you can say against Coach Finger-tape, his teams score points.
Tape finger teams really aren’t that good at scoring and moving the ball.

Go look at his track record at Arkansas and after Baylor (worst losses were bc of offense - Liberty)

Eight

3 big players: Kendre Miller, Dam @ NG, and the Kaz. Miller - I am not sure we appreciate just how great he was last year. He made QB and O lines life’s a lot easier. If his knee is OK, I want to see what he does in the NFL. Can someone likecMiller step forward? Bailey? Dam - how many 17 year olds can play college ball, in the middle? I just think of Kaz feeding him raw steak in the weight room this offseason. Every LB and DE in the US is going to want to play with this guy, as he becomes the biggest disruptor on our roster. Kaz, maybe the biggest key but his magic needs more than 2 months after the National Championship to show progress. Last year was the first time in almost a decade where we manhandled teams. Losing that strength/ toughness edge is what cost GMFP his job. Kaz weight room conveyor belt should start delivering annual products to fill in the roster. Kaz makes everyone stronger/ better, Max, QJ. They were all visibly superior to their 2021 versions last year.

agree that it is too early to see the impact of kaz's work from last year, but some of those young linemen who weren't here last spring will have a chance to flash talent in the spring,

perfect example is a guy like bax who has been on campus since january. he has barely been working with kaz, hasn't really been coached yet by gillespie, but that doesn't mean he can't show the burst off the edge that had him wrecking shop for edna karr

2themax

Give me alphas in all 3 phases
Find and develop that young talent on the off line
Concerned with the edges of the def front but like the size and potential of the youngsters
Looking forward to watching the wr battles
Lastly, keeping quality team depth out of the portal

FrogCop19

threw the word count out the window as i finally was talking about football and not conference realignments and ty contracts

did avoid the use of diagrams and gif's
Well that was because you actually had original thoughts on this post...:p

Last edited:

Eight

Don’t forget Jordan Hudson at WR. Remember the Big 12 title game were he shook a DB so hard the official that it was offensive pass interference.

would be great if jordan takes a step forward and becomes a consistent contributor through the spring and into the fall

he is one of 4-5 receivers the frogs have on their roster who are in between the bigger receivers such as savion and cordale and the smaller receivers such as robinson, earle, and bailey

have the potential to place outside or the slot and create mismatches