• The KillerFrogs

Will Smoo lose their next 5 games?

They have managed to beat up on their OOC schedule, including the Frogs, and the 3 worst teams in their conference.

But I could easily see this ending up like the 2016 Baylor Bears who started 6-0 only to finish 6-6.

LVH

They have played a really bad schedule so far. Sagarin has their schedule ranked #130 and that's why they aren't in the Top 40 of Sagarin. They are also outside the Top 40 in ESPN FPI and Bill Connelly's S&P. We are by far and away their best win and we aren't even any good.

Needed a Hail Mary to beat a 2-5 Louisiana Tech team

Just beat a Tulane team that is 0-6 against the FBS. They have also played North Texas and South Florida, both teams which have zero FBS wins as well.

Woof. SMU literally only 3 wins over teams that have beaten an FBS team this year. All of those wins were by a TD or less

Wexahu

They have played a really bad schedule so far. Sagarin has their schedule ranked #130 and that's why they aren't in the Top 40 of Sagarin. They are also outside the Top 40 in ESPN FPI and Bill Connelly's S&P. We are by far and away their best win and we aren't even any good.

Needed a Hail Mary to beat a 2-5 Louisiana Tech team

Just beat a Tulane team that is 0-6 against the FBS. They have also played North Texas and South Florida, both teams which have zero FBS wins as well.

Woof. SMU literally only 3 wins over teams that have beaten an FBS team this year. All of those wins were by a TD or less
It’d be cool to trash teams that we can actually beat. I don’t think they are some juggernaut and I’d guess they’ll lose some games over the next couple months, but is this what it’s come to?

They aren’t a bad team.

SuperTFrog

Maybe? Houston will be a test next weekend. But we whipped up on a Tulane team who took OU to the wire in Norman.
No trash talk here because y’all came to our house and took it to us. The facts are your schedule sucks. This UofH team got hammered by a TTU team that will likely finish just above KU in the big 12. All of U of H’s wins are crappy and they are 56 in the Sagarin rankings.

Literally you have one shot to prove yourself because the Memphis, UCF and Tulsa games won’t prove anything. You may well be undefeated going into the Cincinnati and they will blow your doors off. At the end of the season you’ll play Arizona St or something in the bowl game who will beat you by 10 and you’ll prove to everyone of you were in a real conference you would be a 6-6 or 7-5 team.

Obviously, a 6-6 or 7-5 that absolutely dominated us. This is not TCU trash talk because we have no words. This is real talk of what type of team SMU really has this year. You are living what TCU did from 2002 to 2007. At the end of the season you can hang your head high that you finished runner up in the AAC, lost a bowl game to a mediocre team from another conference and you know in your heart, that if the ball bounced your way this year, you might have finished 5th in the big 12. And that is something to be proud of.

ECM

No trash talk here because y’all came to our house and took it to us. The facts are your schedule sucks. This UofH team got hammered by a TTU team that will likely finish just above KU in the big 12. All of U of H’s wins are crappy and they are 56 in the Sagarin rankings.

Literally you have one shot to prove yourself because the Memphis, UCF and Tulsa games won’t prove anything. You may well be undefeated going into the Cincinnati and they will blow your doors off. At the end of the season you’ll play Arizona St or something in the bowl game who will beat you by 10 and you’ll prove to everyone of you were in a real conference you would be a 6-6 or 7-5 team.

Obviously, a 6-6 or 7-5 that absolutely dominated us. This is not TCU trash talk because we have no words. This is real talk of what type of team SMU really has this year. You are living what TCU did from 2002 to 2007. At the end of the season you can hang your head high that you finished runner up in the AAC, lost a bowl game to a mediocre team from another conference and you know in your heart, that if the ball bounced your way this year, you might have finished 5th in the big 12. And that is something to be proud of.
Fair enough. Coming into this evening I thought the only two games we’ve actually played well were vs yall and ACU. I think UH on the road will be a good barometer of where we’re at. If we take care of business we should get two cracks at Cincy; with that said, they’re really good and I don’t know if we can move the ball offensively on them.

SuperTFrog

Fair enough. Coming into this evening I thought the only two games we’ve actually played well were vs yall and ACU. I think UH on the road will be a good barometer of where we’re at. If we take care of business we should get two cracks at Cincy; with that said, they’re really good and I don’t know if we can move the ball offensively on them.
Don’t you dare take the high road when I was clearly trying to draw you offsides!

Spike

FWIW I wish you luck.

SuperTFrog

If SMU beats Cincinnati, feel free to come back here and rub it in my face. I will officially have respect that the SMU team is legit with a win against them. That Cinci team looks the part this year.

y2kFrog

They haven’t really played anybody, but I can assure they’re good enough to win more games this year.

Last edited:

Wexahu

If SMU beats Cincinnati, feel free to come back here and rub it in my face. I will officially have respect that the SMU team is legit with a win against them. That Cinci team looks the part this year.
So they need to go basically undefeated or beat a top 5 team to get any respect? I don't know what's so terrible about just saying they are a pretty good team and leave it at that.

Frog fans are really showing their insecurity here IMO.

SuperTFrog

So they need to go basically undefeated or beat a top 5 team to get any respect? I don't know what's so terrible about just saying they are a pretty good team and leave it at that.

Frog fans are really showing their insecurity here IMO.
Because how can you tell they are really good? We would almost certainly be sitting at 5-1 with their schedule. Would we be a pretty good team? Last year if we would have played teams like La Tech over and over, we would have been 9-1. That doesn’t make us good. That means we played crappy teams.

Last edited:

Big Frog II

They have a good coach and team. That being said, I think they loose 2 games. Still a good season, and it makes Dykes ripe for the picking.

SuperTFrog

Another example of why who you play matters was TCU vs Wyoming in 2009. We were at their place and threw a pick in the first quarter and had a fumble returned for a touchdown in the second quarter. Against most teams in the big 12, that would be highly predictive of a loss. Against the Cowboys in Laramie, it yielded a 45-10 win. You can get away with so much against crappy teams and still destroy them.

Wexahu

Because how can you tell they are really good? We would almost certainly be sitting at 5-1 with their schedule. Would be a pretty good team? Last year if we would have played teams like La Tech over and over, we would have been 9-1. That doesn’t make us good. That means we played crappy teams.
Why would we "most certainly" be 5-1? Are you certain we would have won at La Tech and Navy? SMU beat us by 8 at our place. They only beat La Tech and Navy by 7. La Tech took them to overtime. Seems like there is at least a decent chance we would have lost at La Tech, and with our run defense, at Navy. It's not like we never lose to below average teams.

I just don't like those kind of arguments. We haven't beaten a good team yet, unless you want to call TT good (and they lost to UT by 35 points). Duquense, 1-5 Cal (by two at home), and Texas Tech.....that's who we've proven we can beat. Why is it such a no-brainer that we run through SMU's schedule?

LVH

Another example of why who you play matters was TCU vs Wyoming in 2009. We were at their place and threw a pick in the first quarter and had a fumble returned for a touchdown in the second quarter. Against most teams in the big 12, that would be highly predictive of a loss. Against the Cowboys in Laramie, it yielded a 45-10 win. You can get away with so much against crappy teams and still destroy them.

Don't forget San Diego State in 2010 - we spotted them 14 right out of the gate by giving up a trick play TD on the first play of the game, followed by a block in the back penalty on the kickoff, fumbling our first play deep inside our own territory and SDSU scoring another TD and we were down 14-0 quick. Then we scored 37 unanswered and took our foot off the gas and gave up a couple long TD passes where Jason Teague was beat 1 on 1 and all of a sudden we have to recover an onside kick to win the game. Against a better team that would have been a loss.