1. The KillerFrogs

Why is college tuition so high? Heather MacDonald thinks she knows why.

Discussion in 'Killingsworth Court, Formerly The General Forum' started by Paint It Purple, Dec 7, 2018.

1. About 15 minutes long.

Leap Frog likes this.
  2. As someone who has worked as faculty on college campuses since 2002 I have to admit she makes some very salient points, however I think she's a bit off on her timeline of what happened on campuses in the 80's. While I don't doubt that there were several seeds of gender studies being sowed in the 80's it wasn't until the late 90's when those seeds began to germinate and infest the college system at large.

Leap Frog likes this.
  3. Just discovered this lady a couple of weeks ago-- she makes a lot of sense.
    Hope to see much more of her in the future.
    Thanks, Paint it Purple and TxFrog for the posts-- I'll be watching.

4. She sure has impressive credentials, and interestingly enough they’re from unlikely places.

I heard a mom speaking the other day describing her 30 something aged college graduates whom both now “hate” America. She sounded heart broken and confused as she described their upbringing and backgrounds that included Eagle Scouts. What has happened to us?

Leap Frog likes this.
  5. When you’re told for 4 years that you’re a victim or an evil person victimizing people you’ve never met empathy typically starts to cloud reality as you begin to believe the lies.

Paint It Purple likes this.
  6. I agree with every word discussed, but I don't see this as the reason for such high tuition. I have a friend that is a professor at TCU and he is constantly reading me emails that are floated by TCU's diversity, and sensitivity and inclusiveness administrators. They seem to not be hitting the mark entirely at a place like TCU.

When you look at the students that come from California that attend TCU and SMU, you see a small bastion coming from conservative families represented in the central, non urban parts of the state, who don't want their kids getting the liberal influences of the Cal Berkley's of the world.

However, I believe that a certain "softness" already exist in the world, where students coming in expect a certain standard of living, and at a place like TCU, it's country club like.

The rise in tuition comes from the fear of being able to compete in offering the amenities required by these "soft" kids.

First off, as a parent, your kids should carry the influences of their 18 years with you, over the 4 years in college. But it doesn't come from diverse ideologies as compared to overprotective parents sending their kids off to stand on their own.

7. Oh I agree with you that the least of our concern in this regard is about tuition. I happened to use "tuition" in the thread title since she did mention it and to sorta satisfy the "keep it TCU related" police. I also agree with you about the 18-4 thing. But, we have to remember that the 4 come at a time when young minds are out on their own for the first time. They come into contact with new peers and seemingly very credible authority figures; with some convincing opinions and points of view. The pressure to fit in can be intense especially when the pressure is coming from activists and radicals that are pretty skilled in art of humiliation, personal attacks and playing to emotions rather that reason.

8. I get this, but what makes these 18-22 year olds such easy targets, such dry sponges? I am old but if presented with this kind of propaganda back in the 70’s there would have been very spirited debate rather than blind acceptance. Maybe this has reached a level of peer groupthink where taking an alternate position precludes you from friendships or the prospects of getting laid. Don’t know.

9. That is certainly part of it, as this group of students place social acceptance on a much higher level than generations before. It's not enough to just find your spot within a clique, you have to be a part of the whole, have the right societal mind or you're bullied as a "hater."

10. Hesitating to give social media too much credit for this, but it's hard to ignore. In the past if one expressed a contrary view to someone or some group, that's as far as it went. Now, a contrary view is instantly broadcast to the masses. It's used as a bludgeon by savvy activists or just plain petty a-holes who want to make themselves feel superior. Powerful stuff when you're only 18.

11. Look no further than the USA Today reporter who dragged out a tweet by Murray when he was 14-15 and attempted to shame him about it the very night he won the Heisman. Kevin Hart’s Oscar hosting ordeal is another example. These platforms are being co-opted by SJW to help them shame people into a group think mentality and although it’s a small percentage who are constantly outraged they get a lot of press and support from people with larger platforms.

Paint It Purple likes this.
  12. A pull quote from a commentary piece in the Washington Times by Tammy Bruce. She wrote the piece in response to the two examples you site above.

".............. but it is meant to cement the notion that not conforming to the liberal narrative will have dire personal consequences.

What’s really dangerous is not a man who wants his son to be heterosexual or a boy who uses a gay slang to upset another boy — it’s the adults who cynically use those situations to destroy lives in a fascist effort to gain political and social power by controlling people through fear."

• Tammy Bruce, president of Independent Women’s Voice

Leap Frog and TxFrog1999 like this.
  13. Interesting Question: Do you agree that societal pressure should be used to reject inappropriate behavior by individuals (as opposed to government efforts), and just have a problem with the specific examples you've seen recently as that effort "going too far", or are you suggesting that any is a "fascist effort"?

14. For years we—older generations—had it drilled into us to buck peer pressure and not feel forced into a behavior just because "everyone else is doing it" as that is a bad excuse to act ("If all of your friends jumped off a bridge..."). It's a sound principle, and one we no longer teach our children, to stand as an individual and not bow to outside pressure. Today's kids want to go with the majority, crave attention and validation of their thoughts and actions, and desperately want to belong. Those are all dangerous character traits as it leads to group think and mob mentalities. The groups that have weaponized social media to pressure individuals into "getting back in line" with the way they view the world are using this character flaw to their advantage in increasing numbers and with a level of success that would shock both George Creel and Edward Bernays.

Todd D. and Leap Frog like this.
  15. Good point, well said.

On the other hand though, surely there are times where organized behavior can and should exert social pressure to produce desirable outcomes, right? I 100% agree that you shouldn't blindly go with the crowd, but if you've concluded that your behavior / belief is correct, isn't that where the whole "vote with your dollars" mantra comes in to play?

16. Certainly. Voting with your feet and wallet is what should be done, however the type of societal pressure being brought to social media far outpaces that basic tenant. Now it’s about destroying lives, even taking it so far as to prevent people from earning a living. The Buzzfeed, “Has Justine Landed”, debacle shows just how far this mob will take even the slightest bit of offense. Young people seeing these sorts of examples learn a lesson that is dangerous to our overall common good.

17. FWIW, not all of us are raising kids the way you describe.

I also believe every generation adopts a similar perspective at some point in their age.

Not to minimize actual societal problems, but to say over the long arc society has constantly moved in a certain direction.