• The KillerFrogs

Why Does UT’s $34 Million Head Coach Need a “Special Assistant”?

Asher Price (@asherprice) Tweeted:
.@UTAustin is paying Gary Patterson $150,000 annually as a special assistant to the head football coach, per info I just received in response to an open records request. As head coach at TCU, Patterson's salary was more than $6 million.#Longhorns

I ran into GP at Yogi's yesterday morning. My client who I was meeting with knows GP through FCA and they chatted for a minute. He said FW is home. He's not moving. Not selling the house. He'll commute to Austin if he needs to.

Almost sounded like he didn't care to go to Austin at all. Speculation on my part but I wouldn't be surprised if all he does is send a few emails with notes about the opposing team every week.

When he left he fist bumped us. I said good luck except for one game. He turned around and said "I deserve that."

He was wearing a lavender shirt and had some kind of football ring on his finger. Not a big one. Probably CUSA Champs or something.

I had the chilaquiles.

TAINTed frog

Asher Price (@asherprice) Tweeted:
.@UTAustin is paying Gary Patterson $150,000 annually as a special assistant to the head football coach, per info I just received in response to an open records request. As head coach at TCU, Patterson's salary was more than $6 million.#Longhorns
Could certainly be wrong but I’m not sure you can “open records request” a private school. TCU is not subject to “public” disclosure laws.

asleep003

Gary was the top of the food chain for the football program. I assumed that my declaration about that matter wouldn’t need to be clarified. I didn’t say he was the top of the food chain for TCU. There is always somebody who can fire you unless you are the individual owner of a business. In this case those who can fire Gary (VB and JD) chose to do so after - according to the experts on KFC - they told him to make some specific football program related changes such as changing staff members, tactics, schemes, etc. If they say him down and said you have to win x number of games next year or you’re fired if respect that. Then Gary would have had to make whatever changes HE viewed necessary in order to meet the budget placed in front of him. Instead they apparently said we think we know what needs to be done in order to win more games and they are this, that and the other and you need to do those things. THAT is what I do not respect. Those type of decisions are not the expertise of an AD or a Chancellor. That’s what real world business looks like. You try to micro manage a person who has been massively successful for a number of years (even if down recently) and you’re doing the opposite of showing respect. They could give their advice about how to potentially gain leniency in holding the minimum wins budget as absolute standard at the end of the next year and then he could make a decision if he wanted to lower himself to play along with their attempts at control. Setting a clear bar and demanding results I am totally ok with. They didn’t do that. They told him HOW to do his job and he wasn’t playing along so they fired him.
Wouldn't be surprised if either or both told GP, that Ourselves/Alums /Big Donors/etc. are quite wary of the modestly talented staff you continue to hold on to, while there is budget to get top talent... and for the last several years it appears the teams in the Big12 have caught on to your Defense schemes and should seriously consider a less predictable format. We're going to need your commitment primarily to these 2 issues to continue on.

Last edited:

TAINTed frog

UT OR is correct. TCU on 990 is 6$+.
Ah, so since GP is now an employee of UT his previous salaries from TCU show up?

Not disputing the salary. I believe that was fairly well known. Just curious about the open records request because my understanding is that private schools are not subject to them except for limited exceptions (salaries not being one).

helcap

Ah, so since GP is now an employee of UT his previous salaries from TCU show up?

Not disputing the salary. I believe that was fairly well known. Just curious about the open records request because my understanding is that private schools are not subject to them except for limited exceptions (salaries not being one).
As Sweat Equity pointed out tax exempt organizations have to file financial information to the IRS on a form 990.. One of the schedules is of the compensation of the highest paid employees, which Patterson was certainly one at TCU. These returns are public information