• The KillerFrogs

Why does the school reject the 1921 Ft. Worth Classic?

According to the school our all-time bowl record is 13-13-1. According to wikipedia and the NCAA it is 13-14-1 (actually 12-14-1 before the last bowl game). The difference is that the latter two don't exclude the 1921 Ft Worth Classic .

Why does the school not recognize this as a bowl game we participated in? Everyone else, in particular the NCAA, does.

Is it just to make our record look better? Is it because it was only played once? Is it because we were blown out by some school that no one has ever heard of? FWIW, Centre was pretty good in that period. The year following the bowl game, they upset Harvard to stop their two year win streak and become the first team outside of the east to beat Harvard, Yale or Princeton.

Of note, there is only one bowl game that was played before this game- the Rose Bowl.

Why does the school reject the Ft. Worth Classic?

P

PrayingColonel

I'm guessing the reason is probably shame. There's nothing to be ashamed of though really. Centre has always been a Superior Program to T.C.U.

You are still a very nice football school, just not as good as us.

I'm guessing the reason is probably shame. There's nothing to be ashamed of though really. Centre has always been a Superior Program to T.C.U.

You are still a very nice football school, just not as good as us.

Whatever. You can't even spell the name of your school properly. This is America, not Canada ...

P

PrayingColonel

Whatever. You can't even spell the name of your school properly. This is America, not Canada ...
I will pray for you and your deformed head, Orange Boy.

Nobody has superior scoreboard on TCU than the Prayin' Colonels of Centre College. That's why you continue to avoid playing us year after year.

I'm reminded of apple's "There's an App for that" ad campaign, except in this case it is "There's a troll for that".

BTW, if it was embarrasment, there is a ton more the school leaves in there that qualifies as "embarrasing", like, for example, the entire 1970s.

I wonder if it was oversight or the fact they probably don't even have a box score from the game and some media relations guy at some point decided it wasn't important enough.

At any rate, I think they should add it in.

P

PrayingColonel

I'm reminded of apple's "There's an App for that" ad campaign, except in this case it is "There's a troll for that".

BTW, if it was embarrasment, there is a ton more the school leaves in there that qualifies as "embarrasing", like, for example, the entire 1970s.

I wonder if it was oversight or the fact they probably don't even have a box score from the game and some media relations guy at some point decided it wasn't important enough.

At any rate, I think they should add it in.
I think the Fort Worth Classic may have been the first bowl game outside of the Rose Bowl.

HFrog1999

I think the Fort Worth Classic may have been the first bowl game outside of the Rose Bowl.
You are correct sir.

http://collegefootball.org/news_article.php?id=2128

December 26, 1921 - Centre (Ky.) defeated Arizona 38-0 in the inaugural San Diego East-West Christmas Classic. Following a shocking upset of Harvard, future College Football Hall of Fame quarterback Alvin "Bo" McMillan led the Praying Colonels to two bowl games to complete the 1921 season. One week after the victory over Arizona, Centre faced Texas A&M in the inaugural Dixie Classic at Fair Park Stadium in Dallas. The Praying Colonels were key figures in the postseason bowl era; one season prior, Centre defeated TCU in the Fort Worth Classic, which was the first bowl game played outside the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif. In all, Centre competed in the first three bowl games staged outside the Rose Bowl.

HFrog1999

According to that NCAA link, it was.

According to wiki, the Bacardi bowl was played before, but apparantely the NCAA only recognizes the 1937 Barcardi Bowl (the only time the game didn't have a Cuban team as one of the participants, I guess).
Not to be confused with the Bourbon Bowl.

Waterboy-movie-01.jpg

HFrog1999

Bacardi Bowl? That sounds awesome.
Just another reason why life was better before Castro showed up.

A few years ago I took a cruise that passed by Cuba. I couldn't help but think how awesome it would be if Cuba was the resort location it used to be.

Yeah, Murder and Theft are pretty bad, but at least the Mafia knows how to party.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
You are correct sir.

http://collegefootba...cle.php?id=2128

December 26, 1921 - Centre (Ky.) defeated Arizona 38-0 in the inaugural San Diego East-West Christmas Classic. Following a shocking upset of Harvard, future College Football Hall of Fame quarterback Alvin "Bo" McMillan led the Praying Colonels to two bowl games to complete the 1921 season. One week after the victory over Arizona, Centre faced Texas A&M in the inaugural Dixie Classic at Fair Park Stadium in Dallas. The Praying Colonels were key figures in the postseason bowl era; one season prior, Centre defeated TCU in the Fort Worth Classic, which was the first bowl game played outside the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif. In all, Centre competed in the first three bowl games staged outside the Rose Bowl.

That bowl game against TAMU is famous for creating one of the aggie traditions.

P

PrayingColonel

Are you guys more proud of your 17-6 victory over the Deaf and Dumb Institute in 1906 or your 59-0 beating of them in 1908?