• The KillerFrogs

Why Can’t We Hire a Special Team’s Coach?

M

mkel43

Year after year our special teams are poor to mediocre. Why can’t we hire a dedicated ST Coach? Why do we need Two defensive line coaches? I’m tired of special teams playing so uneven. In close games they make a huge difference.

Is the special teams coach actually labeled a coach? I'm looking at the TCU website and don't see a actual special team coach. If there is no special teams coach then why in the heck not?

CryptoMiner

Year after year our special teams are poor to mediocre. Why can’t we hire a dedicated ST Coach? Why do we need Two defensive line coaches? I’m tired of special teams playing so uneven. In close games they make a huge difference.

We had Eric Russell until he left for TAMU prior to last season. DeMontie Cross filled his spot.

CryptoMiner

Is the special teams coach actually labeled a coach? I'm looking at the TCU website and don't see a actual special team coach. If there is no special teams coach then why in the heck not?

Tyler Wright (a GA) is the closest we have now to a ST coach. They also use consultants.

M

mkel43

I realize people from Deloitte and McKinsey and the like think they know everything about everything but they must not know much about special teams play.

So a GA coaches something that makes up 1/3 of the game? That's a lot of responsibility for a GA.

Eight

So a GA coaches something that makes up 1/3 of the game? That's a lot of responsibility for a GA.

maybe, but it is relative when you consider that it wasn't that long ago the linebackers were coached by a ga (who did have nfl experience) as well as the offensive line was basically coached by a ga.

Mean Purple

maybe, but it is relative when you consider that it wasn't that long ago the linebackers were coached by a ga (who did have nfl experience) as well as the offensive line was basically coached by a ga.
The frustrating part is all of them should have been coached by a guy with quality experience, considering the money this program has. how does so many other P5 programs get assitants with good experience and we get so many that are development material?

Eight

The frustrating part is all of them should have been coached by a guy with quality experience, considering the money this program has. how does so many other P5 programs get assitants with good experience and we get so many that are development material?

source.gif

M

mkel43

If we

If we had a guy with NFL experience then why didn't we just make him our special teams coach? I know it looks like the NFL puts a lot of emphasis on the special teams units, will the ones they actually still use, and from what i can see our guys need some serious improvement in the special teams area. Has Reagor been the return guy that I heard he was supposed to be? If not is it him or is it the fact that we don't game plan for him to have success in that area?

Eight

If we

If we had a guy with NFL experience then why didn't we just make him our special teams coach? I know it looks like the NFL puts a lot of emphasis on the special teams units, will the ones they actually still use, and from what i can see our guys need some serious improvement in the special teams area. Has Reagor been the return guy that I heard he was supposed to be? If not is it him or is it the fact that we don't game plan for him to have success in that area?

tenor.gif

CryptoMiner

TCUs current overall special teams ranking is #47 which is pretty good considering our punting is #115.

Its hard to find a ST coach that can teach all required skills and our punting has been atrocious the last few seasons and getting worse.

I was excited when they signed Sandy but he has been a huge disappointment but some of that falls on the way Patterson likes the the punt team to perform.

Eight

LOL sorry bad suggestion?

no, not a bad suggestion.

the why question has an easy answer, but a trickier explanation.

the easy answer is simply that tcu already was a maximum number of full time coaches they could have on their staff so they covered the linebacker position with a grad assistant, jason phillips, who played linebacker at tcu and in the nfl.

i had and still haven't heard of a d-1 program having a position group coached by a grad assistant especially for multiple years and the biggest draw back is he could not leave campus to go recruit.

as far as the trickier explanation, i guess according to some we aren't allowed to question gary's decisions so i guess we will never no why he allocated his coaches the way he did for those two seasons.

M

mkel43

no, not a bad suggestion.

the why question has an easy answer, but a trickier explanation.

the easy answer is simply that tcu already was a maximum number of full time coaches they could have on their staff so they covered the linebacker position with a grad assistant, jason phillips, who played linebacker at tcu and in the nfl.

i had and still haven't heard of a d-1 program having a position group coached by a grad assistant especially for multiple years and the biggest draw back is he could not leave campus to go recruit.

as far as the trickier explanation, i guess according to some we aren't allowed to question gary's decisions so i guess we will never no why he allocated his coaches the way he did for those two seasons.

Never heard of that either. Did he do it for multiple years because GP won't get rid of any of his coaches especially the long time ones or the ones who played for him? Sorry I'm still lost bc isn't the LB coach Gladgow?
What does according to some mean? who are the "some" and why is it even a big deal?