• The KillerFrogs

Why all the coaches are being fired…

Sangria Wine

Mike Leach nailed it…

“Because people are nuts,” Leach said, via Football Scoop. “First of all, I think things go in trends. General societal mental illness, I think, and I think the other thing that contributes to it, and the same thing has happened with (athletics directors), it’s almost like there’s been a bounty on A.D.s. Then as a result there’s been one on coaches, too.

“I think that, to me, it seems like when people were all stuck at home with COVID (in 2020), they had all this nervous energy, and you saw a bunch of A.D.s and coaches fired that hadn’t coached a game for that season. [Like people said] ‘Well, we’re not doing anything so let’s fire somebody.'”

Leach also believes too many decisions are made in haste. We live in an instant gratification era and that has found its way into the football ranks.”

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
young dolph plies GIF by Worldstar Hip Hop

Wexahu

Mike Leach nailed it…

“Because people are nuts,” Leach said, via Football Scoop. “First of all, I think things go in trends. General societal mental illness, I think, and I think the other thing that contributes to it, and the same thing has happened with (athletics directors), it’s almost like there’s been a bounty on A.D.s. Then as a result there’s been one on coaches, too.

“I think that, to me, it seems like when people were all stuck at home with COVID (in 2020), they had all this nervous energy, and you saw a bunch of A.D.s and coaches fired that hadn’t coached a game for that season. [Like people said] ‘Well, we’re not doing anything so let’s fire somebody.'”

Leach also believes too many decisions are made in haste. We live in an instant gratification era and that has found its way into the football ranks.”

I totally agree with the last two sentences. But our situation is the exception, we didn't fire our coach in haste or because of the instant gratification era.

We've got coaches being fired today after a year or two on the job, before they really even have a chance to recruit their own players. Have a few bad games, the media machine (and social media especially) gets revved up, and before you know it there's so much negativity about the program being spewed around that just snowballs, and then the people in charge feel like they need to do something to create a positive "buzz". Rinse, repeat. And it works the other way too. Some guys get a nice little streak going, often with players they didn't even recruit, and are suddenly the next new hotshot, before they've really accomplished much.

vicarfrog

Mike Leach nailed it…

The human response to Covid has wrecked our brain.

Sangria Wine

If you don’t think our replacement options would be have been different if Gary, truly of his own free will, had decided he was ready to retire then you truly don’t understand the mindset of coaches. The legend gets shoved out the door and the vast majority of great replacement coaches all feel at odds with their own natural interest in the job. Not all of them, but a good portion just decide this isn’t a job they should want to attain anymore. You guys who ascertain that “it was time” and “it had to be done” simply don’t know the way that coaches think about these situations. And when you’re a TCU of the world that reality leaves you trying to convince yourself to be excited about whatever you can string together as the program savior. Patience has become a totally lost notion and the overall population has normalized being irrational, self-centered a-holes. I cannot wait to see GP land someplace else and go scorched earth on the opponents. He’s damn sure not done and all that we’ve done here is assure he’s been reignited, if in fact he even needed being reignited.

If you don’t think our replacement options would be have been different if Gary, truly of his own free will, had decided he was ready to retire then you truly don’t understand the mindset of coaches. The legend gets shoved out the door and the vast majority of great replacement coaches all feel at odds with their own natural interest in the job. Not all of them, but a good portion just decide this isn’t a job they should want to attain anymore. You guys who ascertain that “it was time” and “it had to be done” simply don’t know the way that coaches think about these situations. And when you’re a TCU of the world that reality leaves you trying to convince yourself to be excited about whatever you can string together as the program savior. Patience has become a totally lost notion and the overall population has normalized being irrational, self-centered a-holes. I cannot wait to see GP land someplace else and go scorched earth on the opponents. He’s damn sure not done and all that we’ve done here is assure he’s been reignited, if in fact he even needed being reignited.

When has he ever gone scorched earth on an opponent outside of a press conference?

He had multiple opportunities to reignite here but chose to proceed according to other priorities. When he repeatedly choose to do everything in a manner that was to maintain his comfort rather than fix the things that were broken, he gave TCU no choice when those choices didn't work out.

TAINTed frog

Honest question, are you his agent?

Sangria Wine

Honest question, are you his agent?
I spent about a decade in the sports business and got to know a number of high profile coaches. I just know how they think and how the fraternity of coaches responds when a legend is shoved out. It’s pretty damn special to have a coach stick around for 20+ years when he’s had a load of chances to leave. Throw that out and you generally pay the consequences. Short of throwing out 10-12 million a year and totally money whipping a top coach, what’s happening is what was supposed to happen. I hope like hell the new coach kicks butt wins .750 or better and I’m totally wrong in my fears and expectations, but history in these type situations says that’s unlikely.

Sangria Wine

When has he ever gone scorched earth on an opponent outside of a press conference?
You make my point about people not maintaining two way loyalty. They guy took a JOKE of a program to a level that could win a Rose Bowl, be among the nations elite, win 10+ games more than only a handful of programs during the same stretch, put dozens in the NFL, win national coach of the year awards, then down opportunities at blue blood programs, etc. But, now he was washed up. Yea…ok.