• The KillerFrogs

Why all the coaches are being fired…

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Remind me the coaches who are better, equal and worse. The worse list will be very long. The better list will have maybe 1-2 coaches on it. The equal will have 1-2 on it.

I agree the NIL issues are very real across the country. Some universities will figure it out better than others and make big waves. That’s not the coaches job though as I understand NIL. I think GP was a little pissed that TCU donors/boosters weren’t more aggressively jumping into it all. I never got the vibe he was opposed to it, but seemed like he felt like TCU was falling behind quickly with regards to it.

For instance, why isn’t Killerfrogs.com putting together some sort of fund to pay players for appearances at midweek functions for podcasts? Why aren’t we hearing of major moves being engineered for the players through university liaisons? That’s not GP’s job. So who’s fault is it?
Why aren’t you spearheading this fund on kfc? Nothing is more ridiculous than someone complaining about other people not doing something that that someone could do hisself. Or herself. I don’t want to assume.

OmniscienceFrog

Remind me the coaches who are better, equal and worse. The worse list will be very long. The better list will have maybe 1-2 coaches on it. The equal will have 1-2 on it.

Last I checked he also brought home a title as well. Way to shape it by qualifying the stat though. Owned Texas. Beat OU more than about anybody else during his career. Time will tell. Couldn’t have paid me to make the choice that was made though. Huge risk of a 5-10 year slide to a true bottom. Half the power 5 would like to be what we’ve been the last 3-4 years even with the drop in recent production.
GP's record during his real TCU heyday ('08-'15) was 80-22 (.784). His record from '16-'21 was 38-32 (.542) and his record in just the last four seasons was 21-22 (.488). The trend was downward and still falling.

Most people weren't looking to move on from GP going into the '21 season. In fact due to what were perceived to be three consecutive very good recruiting classes and a stout roster, most were looking to the '21 and '22 seasons to be bounce back seasons and hopefully shots at a Big 12 championship. But alas, the train continued to runaway downhill and there was nothing slowing it down. I don't know if the players completely quit on GP or if they just aren't as good as we thought they could be, but whatever the reason it was not working anymore.

I hate it, and nobody will appreciate EVERYTHING he did for TCU and this city more than I, but there needed to be serious changes made and Gary didn't seem to be able to make them so it was just time to try something else.

OmniscienceFrog

Well when we had Schlossnagle and Patterson it kinda means you are “patient” and don’t have many high profile hirings.

This one for me feels exactly like when Billy Tubbs was shown the door. Half of Frogdom bought into the AD push and recited the “it was time”, “it had to be done” lines and was happy we moved on from the legend. And following that move we sucked until a couple of decades later when a donor decided to fund money whipping a successful head coach to bring back to FW. And even that hasn’t really done much other than get us back to where we were already at when we ran off the program maker Tubbs. I hope the hell I’m wrong, but this one feels exactly the same to me right now.
I was as big a Billy fan as anybody and I was completely against them running him out like they did, but I don't see that as a parallel to GP's separation. Donati didn't tell GP to stop recruiting as far as I know.

Eric Hyman was a good administrative AD I guess, but he sucked at handling coaches.

Last edited:

OmniscienceFrog

No that is not who we are now. People talk about complacency here were not around in the last half of the 10th century. We rest on our laurels from the first half of the century and include up through 1959. We were competitive for the day until then. As the big schools began gobbling up recruits with no limits on scholarships, TCU did nothing dramatic to improve itself. Facilities and the stadium began to lag behind and coaches for the most part were selected by either connection to the university or because of a network of good old boys. A few seemed like good hires later on but for whatever reason ever worked our (Wacker and Sullivan come to mind). We finally woke up with the fortunate hire of Coach Fran.

Those old says are now behind us and tho many on this board may not like it, i was Patterson who brought us out of our slumber and built our rep
I'm going to bet the ranch that NOBODY here was around for the last half of the 10th century. ;-)

JAB331

Mike Leach nailed it…

“Because people are nuts,” Leach said, via Football Scoop. “First of all, I think things go in trends. General societal mental illness, I think, and I think the other thing that contributes to it, and the same thing has happened with (athletics directors), it’s almost like there’s been a bounty on A.D.s. Then as a result there’s been one on coaches, too.

“I think that, to me, it seems like when people were all stuck at home with COVID (in 2020), they had all this nervous energy, and you saw a bunch of A.D.s and coaches fired that hadn’t coached a game for that season. [Like people said] ‘Well, we’re not doing anything so let’s fire somebody.'”

Leach also believes too many decisions are made in haste. We live in an instant gratification era and that has found its way into the football ranks.”

Wow, this has aged poorly, considering what we're seeing on the field today.

NewFrogFan

And 2-11 is 2 more than most others during that stretch. So I guess stats would say il right. Sure it’s nothing that a guy might put on his resume, but it’s as true and relevant as only quoting his record against current B12 coaches…
I believe LSU has never lost to OU in this century!