• The KillerFrogs

Who would be the Coach?

LawFrog504

The good news is that GP's shutdown defense is absolutely smothering opponents right now. That ISU offense reminded me of the LaMichael James Oregon teams. God we are stacked on defense.

Truth be told we haven't had a good defense since 14. Don't reply to me with 2017 which was simply stat padding against bad teams. We looked great against OU, wish we got to play them a second time

Moose Stuff

Is Morris that good an OC? I know he had a great reputation at Clemson but we didn't see much at SMU or in his current gig to indicate he's good. Having said that I think his experience alone would make him an upgrade at TCU. Whatever happens we won't be looking for a head coach any time soon. As you are getting at, its much more likely we bring in a new OC..The questions really is do we bring in just an OC and make him work with the current staff or actually let him hire his own guys...

Nothing Gary has ever done suggests he would fire Sonny, bring in a new guy, and let the new guy decide whether he wants to keep guys like Luper and Thomsen around.

Moose Stuff

The good news is that GP's shutdown defense is absolutely smothering opponents right now. That ISU offense reminded me of the LaMichael James Oregon teams. God we are stacked on defense.

Truth be told we haven't had a good defense since 14. Don't reply to me with 2017 which was simply stat padding against bad teams. We looked great against OU, wish we got to play them a second time

CardFrog

I don't think anyone who has followed TCU over the last 20 years thinks replacing GP is the answer, but clearly we either don't have the talent we thought or we not executing with the talent we have. We need to figure that out soon....and hopefully its the latter as it might be easier to fix.

LawFrog504

I've said it since 16 and was blasted for it- but this staff has gotten to where it is based on taking undervalued talent with a chip on its shoulder and getting the absolute max out of them. They have NO earthly idea what to do with talent that's already at that level when it steps on campus. None.

Wexahu

I don't think anyone who has followed TCU over the last 20 years thinks replacing GP is the answer

Not true. It very well could be the answer if he isn't willing to make some significant changes.

Let me ask you, which program is in better overall shape right now, TCU or Baylor? Given where the two programs were 3 years ago, that you even have to step back and think about that is a damn shame.

What we are doing isn't working, a shake up is necessary.

Eight

Is Morris that good an OC? I know he had a great reputation at Clemson but we didn't see much at SMU or in his current gig to indicate he's good. Having said that I think his experience alone would make him an upgrade at TCU. Whatever happens we won't be looking for a head coach any time soon. As you are getting at, its much more likely we bring in a new OC..The questions really is do we bring in just an OC and make him work with the current staff or actually let him hire his own guys...

morris' knows offense, he knows how to create one, to teach it, but you better be ready to allow him to run a tempo offense out of the spread the is heavy to the passing game.

he also has been part of creating staffs and has ties in the coaching ranks to draw from if he were to bring in new staff.

the key though is not about who might or might not be a candidate for a position that isn't open, but will gary allow whomever is the oc to truly run their offense.

eddie o damn near blew up his dream job running a stone age offense and learned from the mistake and not only brought in help, but he got out of the damn way and let the offensive staff at lsu open up the offense.

some have noted miles' firing koening at kansas but koening got thrown under the bus by miles as it has been miles offense at kansas to date. does les let the new oc run the show or does he still exert control?

PO Frog

morris' knows offense, he knows how to create one, to teach it, but you better be ready to allow him to run a tempo offense out of the spread the is heavy to the passing game.

he also has been part of creating staffs and has ties in the coaching ranks to draw from if he were to bring in new staff.

the key though is not about who might or might not be a candidate for a position that isn't open, but will gary allow whomever is the oc to truly run their offense.

eddie o damn near blew up his dream job running a stone age offense and learned from the mistake and not only brought in help, but he got out of the damn way and let the offensive staff at lsu open up the offense.

some have noted miles' firing koening at kansas but koening got thrown under the bus by miles as it has been miles offense at kansas to date. does les let the new oc run the show or does he still exert control?
I always thought it was a red flag on Morris that they got better at Clemson after he left. Same goes for SMU although as a HC not OC. Don't remember if he was calling plays at SMU.

PO Frog

But those old school instincts die really hard. He wanted to sit on it at the end of the Texas game but was convinced to keep the pedal to the metal. If they don't do that and don't convert that 3rd and long for a touchdown, they lose.

LeagueCityFrog

In Gary we trust, he will get this fixed. He had that smile going into this season like he knew something good about this team. He'll fix it. I don't support this thread at all. There was a couple of people that had TCU as a dark horse for the playoff nationally. A Big XII title and a trip to New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl would be just fine by me! Beat K-State!

Eight

But those old school instincts die really hard. He wanted to sit on it at the end of the Texas game but was convinced to keep the pedal to the metal. If they don't do that and don't convert that 3rd and long for a touchdown, they lose.

he wanted to, but he listened to his staff and let them run their offense right?

he was willing to take the risk and trust them.

compare that to running tempo from the middle of the third quarter on against smu to come back to where you have a chance to win the game and you slow the freaking tempo down so you can try to run out the clock..........

Eight

I always thought it was a red flag on Morris that they got better at Clemson after he left. Same goes for SMU although as a HC not OC. Don't remember if he was calling plays at SMU.

very possible and i know he wasn't loved by all the high school coaches when he was at lake travis.

was that because he was winning or how he was winning and how he was acting to them.

HFrog1999

For everyone wanting a new coach, just who would that be?

Coach Riggendorf

baylor.gif

PurpleBlood87

How about any of these guys?

Current Head Coaches (Alphabetical Order)
Jason Candle, Toledo (39 years old)
Seth Littrell, North Texas (41)
Sonny Dykes (49) (Might be too old)
Jeff Monken (52) (Might be too old)

Current Assistant Coaches (Alphabetical Order)
Dave Aranda, LSU DC (43 years old)
Tony Elliott, Clemson Co-OC (39)
Alex Grinch, OU DC (38)
Jeff Scott, Clemson Co-OC (39)
Brent Venables, Clemson DC (48) (might be too old)