• The KillerFrogs

Who are we for, Penn St or Ohio St?

dawg

When looking for two losses, need to start rooting against Notre Dame, Clemson, Miami and Washington. And would be very nice for Georgia to lose a game so that they get to two losses after losing to Bama in CCG.

Right now, I don't see a realistic scenario where TCU gets in with one loss.

This. We really need ND to lose, either to NC St or Stanford. ESPN and it's Committee are already drooling at the prospect of one-loss ND. Miami looks beatable and liable to lose (possibly twice). Georgia "Georgia-ing" against Florida, Ga Tech, or Auburn would be nice, too.

#BeatISU

MAcFroggy

this is why I am leaning toward cheering for PSU

The only difference is that PSU will not have that many (any) good wins if they lose to Ohio State. Their only ranked wins will be potentially MSU and/or Michigan. It is possible that only one of those teams will be ranked at the end of the season. Last year Ohio State had 3 wins over top 10 teams and 8 wins over teams with >.500 record while Penn State had one top 10 win last year. I do not think a one loss Penn State will have the resume to make the playoff this year (if the loss is to Ohio State).

Last edited:

Zubaz

Right now, I don't see a realistic scenario where TCU gets in with one loss.
Regular season loss, avenge that loss in Big 12 CG (so, basically, it would have to be OU). We have the edge on the Pac-12 right now just in terms of quality teams. Notre Dame needs to lose another one. In that scenario, 1-loss TCU would probably get in.

If we lose the CCG we are out, 1-loss TCU vs. 1-loss Notre Dame would be really iffy given their schedule.

jake102

Regular season loss, avenge that loss in Big 12 CG (so, basically, it would have to be OU). We have the edge on the Pac-12 right now just in terms of quality teams. Notre Dame needs to lose another one. In that scenario, 1-loss TCU would probably get in.

If we lose the CCG we are out, 1-loss TCU vs. 1-loss Notre Dame would be really iffy given their schedule.

If we assume one loss (not in CCG).

Alabama
Penn State/Ohio State
Notre Dame
Clemson/Miami
Georgia (one loss in CCG)

You need to find some losses in the above. Notre Dame losing to NC State, Stanford or Miami is possible. Georgia losing to Auburn to Georgia Tech is a possible.

Another decent option is Miami and Clemson losing one more, knocking the ACC behind TCU.

I think a HUGE question, and potential epic argument (like 2014) is if it comes down to 12-1 Conference Champ TCU or 12-1 Georgia whose only loss was in CCG.

I think 11-1 Notre Dame is a guarantee over 12-1 TCU, IMO.

Zubaz

I just don't buy the idea of 1-loss non SEC Champion Georgia getting in compared to other 1-loss conference champions and / or Notre Dame. I think they'll view that as a playoff quarterfinal.

Notre Dame definitely needs another L. In that scenario: Alabama, ACC, Big 10, 1-loss TCU.

jake102

I just don't buy the idea of 1-loss non SEC Champion Georgia getting in compared to other 1-loss conference champions and / or Notre Dame. I think they'll view that as a playoff quarterfinal.

Notre Dame definitely needs another L. In that scenario: Alabama, ACC, Big 10, 1-loss TCU.

I hope you are right on the Georgia thing. I can just already see the disaster.

Let me ask you this, are you concerned more than 1 Big 10 school will make the playoff?
exactly. the past haunts us. you know college football is corrupt and the CFP committee loves Ohio State so that is why I posed the question. My initial thought was to cheer for Ohio State.

Zubaz

I hope you are right on the Georgia thing. I can just already see the disaster.
The only thing that might help Georgia is a TCU / Baylor situation between them and Notre Dame. ND's schedule is so good that everyone's assuming that if they win out they are in, but if it comes down to 12-1 Georgia losing the SEC Title game vs 11-1 Notre Dame...who Georgia beat in South Bend, that H2H is certainly going to be a factor. That could make things VERY messy.

Frog-in-law1995

exactly. the past haunts us. you know college football is corrupt and the CFP committee loves Ohio State so that is why I posed the question. My initial thought was to cheer for Ohio State.

Please tell me which past year’s or years’ playoff scenario I should consider to justify fears of a second team from the same conference making the playoff.

dawg

One thing that might give ESPN pause about putting two SEC teams in the playoff is the ratings of the 2012 MNC rematch of LSU - Bama; it was one of the lowest of the BCS era. The rest of country had zero scheisss to give about an secsecsec rematch. If two secsecsec teams are in this year, I'm not watching any of the semi games or MNC game.

jake102

The only thing that might help Georgia is a TCU / Baylor situation between them and Notre Dame. ND's schedule is so good that everyone's assuming that if they win out they are in, but if it comes down to 12-1 Georgia losing the SEC Title game vs 11-1 Notre Dame...who Georgia beat in South Bend, that H2H is certainly going to be a factor. That could make things VERY messy.

The fun part would be that the committee would completely rig it to where Georgia somehow slides into the #3 spot to avoid an immediate re-match with Alabama.

Without some serious upsets, things could get crazy.

ifrog

Penn St. The CFP committee will go out of their way to get Ohio State back in the top 4. In addition, Ohio State fans are the worst. They can all EAD (hopefully this doesn't offend any of our closet tOSU posters)

Last edited:

finafrog

"they" did now view bama as eliminated back in 2012, why would they necessarily view a one-loss georgia (or a one-loss big 10 runner up) as eliminated? heck, osu were somehow not eliminated last year.

if there are enough 1-loss teams, and no or few undefeted, anything can happen.

jake102

I do think it's perhaps imperative that TCU's loss comes against OU and that OU is then the opponent in the CCG. Since that game is on the road, it would almost be like TCU erasing that loss.