• The KillerFrogs

Whistling past the graveyard.....

NORMLFROG

kinda cute to watch all the false bravado knowing that a stream of pee is running down their legs with the potential re-alignment.

You know who you are and karma can be tough sometimes :cool:

NF

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(NORMLFROG @ Apr 22 2010, 01:28 PM) [snapback]548730[/snapback]
kinda cute to watch all the false bravado knowing that a stream of pee is running down their legs with the potential re-alignment.

NF

It worries me, but I haven't peed on myself yet.

Big Frog II

QUOTE(NORMLFROG @ Apr 22 2010, 12:28 PM) [snapback]548730[/snapback]

NF

I am guessing you are talking about other conferences and those who could possible be left holding the bag.

Frog_Fan71

QUOTE(Big Frog II @ Apr 22 2010, 01:45 PM) [snapback]548738[/snapback]
I am guessing you are talking about other conferences and those who could possible be left holding the bag.

Would you be referring to the under-performers?

Gunner

If Nebraska left and say Missouri, the Big 12 wouldn't lose much. Neither one could beat Granny Emma and haven't had a serious team in many, many years. Nebraska almost beat a below average Welfare UT last year, but that's their best effort in 15 years. And they just lost their best player and have no QB. BTW, they basically offerred themselves out to the Big 10.

Question is would TCU get the invite if that happened, to the 12? I guess they would, since no one else around has any credibility and the geographics work. They must recognize TCU isn't going away and Patterson appears settled in to stay in Fort Worth...plus MWC is headed for BCS membership.

What I can't figure is all knowledgeable (and unknowledgeable) sources say TCU won't be offerred by Big 10 in all this. Why? It all makes too much sense as to TV, recruiting, Big 10 image improvement(which they desparately need), and a much better product. It is too simple for people to believe it.Only hold up could be Big 10 arrogance. And there is plenty of that going around, not to mention slime. Nearly all agree that TCU is likely one of the 15 schools the Ten is looking at. But they won't admit we should be at the top of that list.

None of those 15 schools talked about is ranked anywhere near as high as TCU...

JimSwinkLives!

QUOTE(Gehörnter Frosch @ Apr 22 2010, 02:16 PM) [snapback]548751[/snapback]
Gunner, please stop with the Big TEN dream of yours. TCU does not fit the overall profile academically, athletically, or geographically. It's not happening.

+1

QUOTE(Gunner @ Apr 22 2010, 03:12 PM) [snapback]548749[/snapback]
What I can't figure is all knowledgeable (and unknowledgeable) sources say TCU won't be offerred by Big 10 in all this. Why?

I've lived in Big 10 territory for 18 years -- and I know a few donors at OSU / Michigan / Penn State, etc. When it comes to collegiate sports, they are the most arrogant people in the world. They also think the Big 10 is the Ivy League without the Ivy as far as academics. Additionally, it's the university presidents that will have to endorse any kind of expansion. They will only look at schools that have "diverse" academic offerings, meaning they aren't interested in a little arts or business college. They want schools with medical schools and law schools and have large research facilities, etc.

If they've already ruled out UT -- which is actually a very good fit for them academically -- you can bet they won't come knocking on our door.

QUOTE(gohornedfrogs @ Apr 22 2010, 03:23 PM) [snapback]548784[/snapback]
I've lived in Big 10 territory for 18 years -- and I know a few donors at OSU / Michigan / Penn State, etc. When it comes to collegiate sports, they are the most arrogant people in the world. They also think the Big 10 is the Ivy League without the Ivy as far as academics. Additionally, it's the university presidents that will have to endorse any kind of expansion. They will only look at schools that have "diverse" academic offerings, meaning they aren't interested in a little arts or business college. They want schools with medical schools and law schools and have large research facilities, etc.

If they've already ruled out UT -- which is actually a very good fit for them academically -- you can bet they won't come knocking on our door.

Exactly. I've said for years that TCU needs to buy Weslyan Law School...and then add a Vet school as an extension of the Ranch Management program. There is only one Vet school in all of Texas!

Do those two things, and watch TCU's academic reputation explode.

JimSwinkLives!

QUOTE(Gehörnter Frosch @ Apr 22 2010, 04:36 PM) [snapback]548824[/snapback]
Exactly. I've said for years that TCU needs to buy Weslyan Law School...and then add a Vet school as an extension of the Ranch Management program. There is only one Vet school in all of Texas!

Do those two things, and watch TCU's academic reputation explode.

TCU refused to buy Wesleyan at Wesleyan's asking price about eight years ago. TCU offered, Wesleyan thought it was too low and countered, TCU walked away. Again, this was eight years ago, so I'm not sure what may have transpired recently, if anything.

QUOTE(JimSwinkLives! @ Apr 22 2010, 04:40 PM) [snapback]548825[/snapback]
TCU refused to buy Wesleyan at Wesleyan's asking price about eight years ago. TCU offered, Wesleyan thought it was too low and countered, TCU walked away. Again, this was eight years ago, so I'm not sure what may have transpired recently, if anything.

Well maybe it's worth looking at again, I dunno? Just seems like the one HUGE missing piece of TCU's academic resume is a professional graduate program (e.g., Medical, Dental, Law, Vet).

Adding one of these would be HUGE...and would pay dividends immediately AND down the road. The endowment would grow at an even faster pace, and TCU would move up the rankings along a comparable/relative curve.

I know one thing for sure: TCU is in a better financial position today than it was eight years ago. Somebody should spearhead the analysis to determine the cost-benefit analysis of both a Vet school and buying Weslyan Law. They could still call it The Weslyan School of Law. Just hop on Rosedale and you're there!

Big Frog II

Does anyone think that Louisville, Cincinnati, and USF have got to be very concerned about their predicament? They could very well find themselves without a football conference. I remember how Eric went and visited all of the Big East schools trying to get us in when the ACC raided part of their conference, but we were told, no thanks. I wonder if they realize what a big mistake they made?

froginaustin

QUOTE(Big Frog II @ Apr 22 2010, 03:51 PM) [snapback]548830[/snapback]
Does anyone think that Louisville, Cincinnati, and USF have got to be very concerned about their predicament? They could very well find themselves without a football conference. I remember how Eric went and visited all of the Big East schools trying to get us in when the ACC raided part of their conference, but we were told, no thanks. I wonder if they realize what a big mistake they made?

Reading the BE board, there seem to be a number of posters that think the Big East can simply whistle and TCU will come running to a football-only membership. That is the ONLY autobid conference membership idea that I can remember seeing, that TCU should turn down.

Their football side doesn't make a bit more money than the MWC does, and the conference is horribly unstable. The whole thing could fall apart before TCU had finished paying entrance/exit fees. I suppose we could join the Missouri Valley for our other sports, but I would hope that TCU would insist on an all-sports membership in any conference we would be associated with.

Having made the above remarks, I stand by my opinion that the most likely change in MWC membership in the next 5 years is none, and the second most likely change (and a distant second) is Utah out, BSU in. This "superconference" scenario is too complicated, too risky. The amount of coordination among 30 - 50 jealous, suspicious institutions for "superconferences" to suddenly appear is mind boggling. Details are truly the devil for any complex business arrangement, and conference agreements (and their related media contracts) have to be very complex.

So I don't see the B12 blowing up. And I don't see the PAC losing its snotty attitude that will most likely block any expansion attempt by that league, any time soon. And I don't think MWC membership will change much, if any.

oldscribe

QUOTE(gohornedfrogs @ Apr 22 2010, 02:23 PM) [snapback]548784[/snapback]

I agree.

West Coast Johnny

QUOTE(Big Frog II @ Apr 22 2010, 01:51 PM) [snapback]548830[/snapback]

The Big East is obsurd. Too big for basketball, not big enough for football. The worst case scenario that I see from conference expansion is to be in a conference comprised of the remnants of the Football only Big East, and C-USA.

Honestly, I'm hoping the Big 12 breaks apart. I hope that some combination of Texas, Colorado, Tamu, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Missouri bolt for other conferences and we land in a re-shuffled big 12 with:

Baylor, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa, Colorado State, BYU, Utah.

BaylorHistory

I'd rather see a new version of the SWC for those teams that don't get picked up.

Tech
oSu
TCU
Baylor
SMU
Rice
Houston
New Mexico
BYU
UTEP
Southern Miss
Colorado State

Has some potential...

Deep Purple

QUOTE(JimSwinkLives! @ Apr 22 2010, 04:40 PM) [snapback]548825[/snapback]

Wesleyan's asking price at that time was $60 million, which was ridiculous. For $60 million, you didn't need to buy a law school, you could easily start your own.

TCU wasn't the only university to walk away from that negotiation. University of North Texas and Texas Tech, who were competing with TCU for the purchase, threw up their hands and walked away as well. It seems the Texas Wesleyan folks seriously overestimated their worth and drove all potential buyers out of the market.

Latest posts