• The KillerFrogs

When will SMU game time be announced?

Frog45

Ticket Exchange Pass
I think TV ratings still matter. And there are so many platforms that televise games. If half the games are at 7:00 on a given Saturday, that would be about 30 games in that time slot. There aren't that many networks televising games.

The trade off to having all games start at 7:00 would be about half the games wouldn't be televised at all and the payouts to the conferences would be about half of what they are, if not less.

If networks pay you $40M/year, you pretty much play when they want you to play.

I totally understand, just selfishly it sucks.

But if you need 4 in 201 with a Lot 4 pass let me hear from ya.

Wexahu

Says the guy constantly bitching about Maniac's bitching.

Maniac has a point and it's the same one every fan base has about early season day games. Night games are electric and provide a great atmosphere as well as a true home field advantage.

I think the statistics show that night games really don't give any more a home field advantage over any other time slot. In fact, home field itself isn't near the advantage it's made out to be. Perception does not really match reality.

CountryFrog

No. It's going to suck.

Make this a night game, and this would have been one of the better attended games we've had in a long time. It's family weekend, and ticket prices were holding shockingly strong. I think there is a lot of excitement and interest around this game, but the 11am kickoff will suck a majority of the momentum out of our sails for what could have been a really fun environment.

Attendance will probably be decent by the start of the 2nd quarter. I could have been great. This sucks sucks sucks.
You sound like an 8 year old who wanted stuffed crust pizza but his mom only came home with regular crust so he had a screaming fit about it for 30 minutes.

Punter1

I think the statistics show that night games really don't give any more a home field advantage over any other time slot. In fact, home field itself isn't near the advantage it's made out to be. Perception does not really match reality.

I'd like to see that stat somewhere because the VAST majority of road wins or upsets feel like they are during the daytime.

Either way...day games during September in general do suck...advantage or not. But I think the crowd is 10x more hyped at night which has to count for something.

Wexahu

I'd like to see that stat somewhere because the VAST majority of road wins or upsets feel like they are during the daytime.

Either way...day games during September in general do suck...advantage or not. But I think the crowd is 10x more hyped at night which has to count for something.

A couple years ago I had a hunch that home field advantage was being wildly overrated, so being the football dork I am I decided to check and see, as least as far as the Big 12 was concerned. Through 6 or 7 years the home teams won like 51.5% of the conference games. So an advantage I suppose, but barely. And believe it or not, Tech had the worst home field advantage in the conference.....they had a better road record than home, as did TCU and another team or two. Whether the game is at night or not, I don't have the stats, but I think you'd be surprised how little difference it makes.

When you are at a game and the stadium is full and loud, it feels like you have an advantage more than you really do. The bottom line is the good teams win at home and on the road, the bad teams lose both places too.

Paradoxotaur

“Home field advantage” is just stupid fans like Maniac wanting to feel like they’re somehow relevant to the outcome of a game. They’re so important and amazing that if everyone were just half the fan they were then they could collectively shepherd the team to victory.

Between college and NFL, you could count the number of stadiums with any sort of actual home field advantage on one hand. And even then, it’s extremely minor.

CountryFrog

A couple years ago I had a hunch that home field advantage was being wildly overrated, so being the football dork I am I decided to check and see, as least as far as the Big 12 was concerned. Through 6 or 7 years the home teams won like 51.5% of the conference games. So an advantage I suppose, but barely. And believe it or not, Tech had the worst home field advantage in the conference.....they had a better road record than home, as did TCU and another team or two. Whether the game is at night or not, I don't have the stats, but I think you'd be surprised how little difference it makes.

When you are at a game and the stadium is full and loud, it feels like you have an advantage more than you really do. The bottom line is the good teams win at home and on the road, the bad teams lose both places too.
I can neither confirm nor deny the stats but I absolutely believe the feel of a raucous crowd far surpasses any tangible effect on the game. It looks awesome and feels awesome. But it doesn't actually mean a ton I don't think.

I think people also often falsely equate amazing atmosphere to amazing football. The SEC and other big schools with great atmospheres benefit from this. I think announcers watching Missouri play at South Carolina can be fooled into thinking they're watching a heavy weight slugfest just because the atmosphere and crowd can be so electric. But if those teams played at a neutral site in California with no fans then it would probably just look like bad football.

Eight

“Home field advantage” is just stupid fans like Maniac wanting to feel like they’re somehow relevant to the outcome of a game. They’re so important and amazing that if everyone were just half the fan they were then they could collectively shepherd the team to victory.

Between college and NFL, you could count the number of stadiums with any sort of actual home field advantage on one hand. And even then, it’s extremely minor.

did you happen to watch texas v arkansas this past weekend?

home field advantage can be a very real thing, but i truly don't feel it has existed in ft worth since the utah game in the old stadium

CountryFrog

did you happen to watch texas v arkansas this past weekend?

home field advantage can be a very real thing, but i truly don't feel it has existed in ft worth since the utah game in the old stadium
I don't think that last part is true at all. I think we've had several games with great atmospheres since then. Nothing that has quite gotten to that level but still lots of great crowds imo.

The stadium during Paul Dawson's pick 6 against OU is maybe the best moment at ACS for me personally.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1

I doubt anyone that has played the game would agree with you. I recall GP has given game balls to the crowd in the past.

Eight

I don't think that last part is true at all. I think we've had several games with great atmospheres since then. Nothing that has quite gotten to that level but still lots of great crowds imo.

The stadium during Paul Dawson's pick 6 against OU is maybe the best moment at ACS for me personally.

wasn't at that game so i will take you word for it on the ou game.

do feel the change to some degree is similar to when the cowboys left the cotton bowl for texas stadium. things just feel different, as you are going out to an event instead of going to a game, but maybe i am just wrong again.