• The KillerFrogs

When ALL the dust settles

SnoSki

As I keep hearing the news stories coming out, the writing on the wall seems to read there will be five conferences left over. We know (and the media knows) that the Big East has stunk it up for years. The ACC and Big East will merge, keeping the best teams and dumping the worst. The MWC said today that 16 teams may be too many, but you can't think they'll stay at 14 and potentially be seen as inferior as a result. Same reasoning for all conferences jumping to 16 teams: $$$$$$$$$$$

This leaves us with 5 plausible conferences:

PAC 16 - (16 teams) USC, California, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State, Arizona, Arizona State, Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Colorado, Texas Tech

Big Ten - (16 teams) Illinois, Indiana, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan St., Minnesota, Northwestern, Ohio St., Penn St., Purdue, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Mizzou, Rutgers

Mountain West - (16 teams) TCU, BYU, Utah, Air Force, Colorado State, Wyoming, San Diego State, New Mexico, UNLV, Kansas, Kansas State, Baylor, Iowa State, Boise State, Fresno State and Houston

SEC - (16 teams) Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi St., Florida State, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Miami

ACC/Big East merger of best teams - (16 teams) Clemson, Pittsburgh, Duke, Georgia Tech, Cincinnati, West Virginia, Connecticut, North Carolina, Maryland, North Carolina State, Wake Forest, Virginia, Louisville, Syracuse, South Florida, East Carolina

This brings the BCS to 80, count em, 80 teams.

There are 5 BCS bowls: Rose, Fiesta, Orange, Sugar and BCS Championship

Seeding for the BCS bowls works as follows:
- All 5 conferences get 2 autobids.
- BCS #1/#2 battle it out for the crystal football
- The other 8 teams in these conferences are "drafted" to the BCS bowls like they are now, but there are no conference tie ins. Bowls can choose who they want out of the remaining 8 teams.

Not sure how a playoff would work, but mostly b/c I hadn't considered that yet.

Your thoughts?

SnoSki

QUOTE(Frognosticator @ Jun 10 2010, 04:44 PM) [snapback]574282[/snapback]
Change Baylor to SMU and I'm with ya.

Ef Baylor. Let them rot in the CUSA.

While I would like to agree with you, I think they bring too much to the table in other sports...hello baseball especially.