• The KillerFrogs

What freshman and JUCOs will see playing time this year?

Wexahu

Here, is the 2018 recruiting class for reference: http://landgrantgauntlet.com/2018-class/tcu/

Hopefully all the JUCOs and very few or none of the freshman. Only kidding a little, with the new redshirt rule I would guess they all will play some but when I look at the roster I don’t see many spots for freshman to get much time. If they play a lot, that probably means a player or two at the same position got hurt.

ThisIsOurTime

Hopefully all the JUCOs and very few or none of the freshman. Only kidding a little, with the new redshirt rule I would guess they all will play some but when I look at the roster I don’t see many spots for freshman to get much time. If they play a lot, that probably means a player or two at the same position got hurt.

Seems like we always play at least a couple on special teams if nothing else as an incentive for good play and what not. I would think a few players who would not be redshirted or at least in the running would include:

Ben Wilson- I think he will play as we currently really only have what Summers, Evans and Wallow?.
Tevailance Hunt, Taye Barber and/or John Stephens- 1 or 2 from the receiving corps because we rotate so much.
Fabian Franklin- we seem a bit thin at RB after Sewo and Anderson.
Ochaun Mathis- for depth reasons and injury risk

We probably will also have 1 or 2 from the OL as well but I don't know who is most likely.

FrogLifeYo

Seems like we always play at least a couple on special teams if nothing else as an incentive for good play and what not. I would think a few players who would not be redshirted or at least in the running would include:

Ben Wilson- I think he will play as we currently really only have what Summers, Evans and Wallow?.
Tevailance Hunt, Taye Barber and/or John Stephens- 1 or 2 from the receiving corps because we rotate so much.

We probably will also have 1 or 2 from the OL as well but I don't know who is most likely.
Fabian ? He’s gone to JC..

FrogLifeYo

With the new Redshirt rule we will see a ton of Freshman this year. In fact probably most of them.

The JC OT McKinney will likely start and J. Johnson the transfer in will play significantly at LB

FrogLifeYo

What about Ben Watson?
Ben is in and should see some snaps. I don’t see him cracking the rotation this year but you never know.. He’ll probably be a special teams guy for sure. Remember the new redshirt rule meens the staff has 4 games of their choice to see who might be able to contribute this year...

Your missing M. Wilson and A. Dunham in your LB assessment... both have played snaps

Eight

barber showed in the spring he very much will not only see the field but has the ability to make plays this fall

mckinney was brought to play from jump

would not be shocked if we saw hunt and stephen's contribute at war

would not be shocked if vonger had an impact especially on special teams

FrogLifeYo

If you haven’t listened to the 247 FrogCast there are some nice nuggets about the newcomers who should contribute in the 2-3 deep..It’s a good listen

TX_Krötenechse

We have a lot of returning LB so I do not envision Wilson being a regular contributor.

Taye Barber might be a starter by the end of the season, and Hunt/Stephens will certainly play opposite Reagor.

Franklin did not enroll at TCU and, while he will probably play a ton, it won’t be for us.

Mathis will get some snaps but hopefully we can develop him, he will be sorely needed next season.

FrogLifeYo

Mathis will get some snaps but hopefully we can develop him, he will be sorely needed next season.

2019 Defense could be really raw next year. I think the development this year of guys below Is going to be absolutely critical.

DE- Bowen, Overshown, and Mathis

LB- Wallow and ??? .( man we are PAPER thin at LB!!) M. Wilson will be the only Sr LB next year and everyone else probably won’t even have a start to their name..This is guaranteed to keep GP up next year. B. Wilson and J. Simpson probably won’t get any meaningful snaps outside of special teams..

CB- Daniels needs to be a contributor

DT - Ellis III ..He needs to round out the 4 man rotation this year and get some blood in his teeth.

PhillyFrog

Blood in his teeth can be a sign of gingivitis, which has been linked to heart disease.

one-does-not-simply-eat-the-booty.png

Eight

2019 Defense could be really raw next year. I think the development this year of guys below Is going to be absolutely critical.

DE- Bowen, Overshown, and Mathis

LB- Wallow and ??? .( man we are PAPER thin at LB!!) M. Wilson will be the only Sr LB next year and everyone else probably won’t even have a start to their name..This is guaranteed to keep GP up next year. B. Wilson and J. Simpson probably won’t get any meaningful snaps outside of special teams..

CB- Daniels needs to be a contributor

DT - Ellis III ..He needs to round out the 4 man rotation this year and get some blood in his teeth.

maybe i don't understand the jargon being used, but when you say raw what do you exactly mean?

at d-tackle we could have back blacklock, bethley, ellis iii, cooper, and filikitonga. if raw is lingo for the ability to really scheiss up an offense i would say the frogs could be really raw at d-tackle next year and even if big ross is gone the cupboard is hardly bare. in fact in past years we would have been elated to return talent like bethley, ellis 3, cooper, and filikitonga at d-tackle

de you forgot dennis collins who i think is going to surprise as he develops, kid graduated and was 17, from a very good program in north louisiana, built like a number of the shorter de's frogs have had great success in developing

cb- we return 4 senior corners in 2019 as i would be shocked if any of gladney, lewis, reed, and flowers left school early for the nfl. it would be a great problem this year because for that to happen they would have to ball their asses off. otherwise frogs look deep in bodies and don't forget hidari ceasar is getting a look at corner.

safety- the depth at that position is ridiculous with young talent which also opens a line of thought on linebacker

lb- wallow, wilson and simpson are givens at the position. wilson is a great story, but he has to stay healthy as i don't think he has a full year playing yet. would not be shocked if one of the safeties grows into a linebacker position and i mean naturally fills out into a body big enough to play that other linebacker.

in all honesty, i am very bullish on the frogs defense this year and in 2019, but not trying to project too far out into next year when we haven't even gone to pads in practice this year.

the one thing i know is this staff will coach the hell out of the kids that want to learn and want to get better. someone always emerges out of "nowhere" and that pattern isn't going to change because gary and his staff are not going to change especially on that side of the ball.

enjoy this year and the way it unfolds and also remember they have a pretty decent recruiting class coming in as well.