• The KillerFrogs

What do you cook at your tailgate?

froginmn

Off season more or less started so this seems like a good place to start. I got a new tailgate spot for the first time and had a very good first year but looking to up my game.

Looking for food and creative ideas, both for regular but maybe especially early tailgates. Just got a Coleman grill that has exchangeable cooktops so I'll have a griddle and stove as well.

What have you done, experienced, enjoyed?

Long Pig.

My pig found itself smart enough to hop over in the the barrier from his pen to the next pen and eat all of that pigs food and then go to the next one and eat all of that pigs food and then the next one and eat all of that pigs food and make his way back in time for when it was my turn my time to feed him he had already eaten three meals and would just be sitting there waiting for me and I would feed him and he would eat that. That’s why he gained so much weight and got sifted at the fat stock show.

Last edited:

Ron Swanson

If you'd post that recipe I'd be much obliged...
I’ve never made jambalaya and this was me just kinda winging it based on other things I’ve cooked, but it turned out great. Not really a traditional jambalaya…

Get a pot going with chicken stock, diced tomatoes (like Rotel), and a little can of tomato paste. Sear a few whole flattened/seasoned chicken breasts in a pan (kosher salt/pepper/garlic powder). Don’t cook it all the way through, just get a good crust on them using avocado oil (high smoke point).

Pull the chicken out, add more oil and then sautée onions, mushrooms, celery, bell peppers and a bunch of garlic with kosher salt/black pepper in the same pan you cooked the chicken in (add jalapeños and Tony’s if you want spice). After the mixture is good and done, add in some of the stock from the pot and let simmer for a while (this helps get all the stuff stuck to the surface of the pan to release, it’s full of flavor). If you do this part correct, the onion mixture will be pretty dark from all the burnt stuff in the pan.

Then scrape everything in the pan into the pot. Add some (drained) beans if you like. Add a bunch of already cooked rice.

Then cut the chicken and a link of sausage into bite sized chunks and add them to the pot and let simmer for a while. How long will depend on how much liquid you have in there that you need to simmer away.

Depending on how much liquid you add and how long you let it simmer, it can either be like a jambalaya or a stew.

Last edited:

froginmn

I usually cook something similar to the mascot of our opponent or similar themed. It's always popular when UT is in town. SMU not a much....
In Big Ten country that wouldn't be good. Boilermakers (although a good drinking option), Illini, Cornhuskers....

FrogAbroad

I’ve never made jambalaya and this was me just kinda winging it based on other things I’ve cooked, but it turned out great. Not really a traditional jambalaya…

Get a pot going with chicken stock, diced tomatoes (like Rotel), and a little can of tomato paste. Sear a few whole flattened/seasoned chicken breasts in a pan (kosher salt/pepper/garlic powder). Don’t cook it all the way through, just get a good crust on them using avocado oil (high smoke point).

Pull the chicken out, add more oil and then sautée onions, mushrooms, celery, bell peppers and a bunch of garlic with kosher salt/black pepper in the same pan you cooked the chicken in (add jalapeños and Tony’s if you want spice). After the mixture is good and done, add in some of the stock from the pot and let simmer for a while (this helps get all the stuff stuck to the surface of the pan to release, it’s full of flavor). If you do this part correct, the onion mixture will be pretty dark from all the burnt stuff in the pan.

Then scrape everything in the pan into the pot. Add some (drained) beans if you like. Add a bunch of already cooked rice.

Then cut the chicken and a link of sausage into bite sized chunks and add them to the pot and let simmer for a while. How long will depend on how much liquid you have in there that you need to simmer away.

Depending on how much liquid you add and how long you let it simmer, it can either be like a jambalaya or a stew.
Thanks for the info... gonna give it a try! It's similar to my late f-i-l's "mulligan," made with squirrel. Now I'm just waiting for the next cold snap!