• The KillerFrogs

What’s the future of our worst group - OL

Froggish

-The future QB is in place.
-The future RBs we think are in place. -The Future at WRs still a question mark

OL is beyond a question mark. No position is performing as poorly right now so I wanted to take a look at the Fr and Sophs to see who’s waiting in the wings. Just what are the chances we see a 3-4 year starter emerge? Fr, RFr, and Sophs being penciled in as starters are very unusual. So let’s look at those kids.
TFr- Coker, Brown, and Williams
RFr- Lanz, Burnette, Dike, Avila,
Soph- QWhite, Harris, McMillon,
** For the heck of it ..JRs - Meyers, Hollins, Altman? (Has Altman seen the field in his career?)

So who in that group of Non JRs do you see busting in to the top 8?

-Coker, McMillon, QWhite are certainties
-Harris is still injured and we have no idea if its career threatening
-Can Brown or Williams break in early?
- Which of the RFr have a chance to get in the mix..
-JC Commit Coleman perhaps

OL is now on 2 year run of awful football. Recruiting at the position has been turned up in recent years but when does it start to pay off? Just how soon do we get back to competency up front?

Wexahu

OL is beyond a question mark. No position is performing as poorly right now so I wanted to take a look at the Fr and Sophs to see who’s waiting in the wings. Just what are the chances we see a 3-4 year starter emerge? Fr, RFr, and Sophs being penciled in as starters are very unusual. So let’s look at those kids.
** For the heck of it ..JRs - Meyers, Hollins, Altman? (Has Altman seen the field in his career?)

OL is now on 2 year run of awful football. Recruiting at the position has been turned up in recent years but when does it start to pay off? Just how soon do we get back to competency up front?

I don’t think it’s been as awful as you say, and I actually think the future looks pretty bright. I think we’ll have 7 or 8 very capable guys next year and the best 5 of those will make for a decent group. At least we seem to have recruited fairly well at the position. Call me crazy but I think WR and especially DE are more worrisome.

Froggish

I don’t think it’s been as awful as you say, and I actually think the future looks pretty bright. I think we’ll have 7 or 8 very capable guys next year and the best 5 of those will make for a decent group. At least we seem to have recruited fairly well at the position. Call me crazy but I think WR and especially DE are more worrisome.

No doubt DE and WR are a problem but one baller can alter the landscape drastically at those spots. To be clear, I’m not down on our future at the position but it’s clear that the future is now. What we’ve seen in recent years is below average OL play. Some of that is on the scheme and some is on the players. I’m excited that we’ve raised our talent level. Just hoping some of that talent is ready to get in the mix

4th. down

We all share your same concerns but historically, GP's best teams are jr./sr. dominated offensive lines. We will have to wait awhile.

4th. down

No doubt DE and WR are a problem but one baller can alter the landscape drastically at those spots. To be clear, I’m not down on our future at the position but it’s clear that the future is now. What we’ve seen in recent years is below average OL play. Some of that is on the scheme and some is on the players. I’m excited that we’ve raised our talent level. Just hoping some of that talent is ready to get in the mix

Both, but scheme is more important in my view, especially running the ball and our offensive line is not undersized per Big 12 opponents. Look at any of this year's film, we don't fire off the ball on running plays - zero push.

Wexahu

Both, but scheme is more important in my view, especially running the ball and our offensive line is not undersized per Big 12 opponents. Look at any of this year's film, we don't fire off the ball on running plays - zero push.

I don’t think O-lineman are supposed to fire off the ball in our scheme. We go out of the shotgun every play, you’ll have all kind of defenders running free if O-lineman fire off the ball on slow developing run plays, and that’s all we’ve got in this scheme. It’s zone blocking all the way.

PO Frog

I don’t think O-lineman are supposed to fire off the ball in our scheme. We go out of the shotgun every play, you’ll have all kind of defenders running free if O-lineman fire off the ball on slow developing run plays, and that’s all we’ve got in this scheme. It’s zone blocking all the way.
Hard to fire off the ball when nobody knows when the ball will be snapped. Including the quarterback.

4th. down

Absolutely true, which is my point, bad scheme plus recruiting misses.

GP has plainly stated over and over, you must run the ball in the red zone. For some reason this has not resonated over to our offensive staff because running the same schemes is proof of that. With all the experience and football knowledge GP has, don't understand why he puts up with it. It sure wasn't this way with Fuente. A different run scheme is obviously needed for the red zone. Hopefully, in the Spring, we will put that in.......but you never know, maybe not.

Last edited:

Limp Lizard

DE has a great history here, so I'm not worried. We put a lot of OL players in the NFL, but as a unit, the OL does not perform well. Like Texas under Brown put a lot of players in the pros, but had bad teams.

So I don;t know if that is due to the OC, or the OL coach. To me, the only time we had really good OL play was in 14-15...when Anderson was the OL coach!

4th. down

DE has a great history here, so I'm not worried. We put a lot of OL players in the NFL, but as a unit, the OL does not perform well. Like Texas under Brown put a lot of players in the pros, but had bad teams.

So I don;t know if that is due to the OC, or the OL coach. To me, the only time we had really good OL play was in 14-15...when Anderson was the OL coach!

And, that's hard to figure, as Anderson has been kicked around alot.

MTfrog5

Think in 2 years the DE will be the best unit on defense. We have got some dudes on OL the last couple classes so hopefully they develop to what they should. Future seems bright

Froggish

I hope McMillon can put on a little weight and muscle. I think he has potential to be a really good interior player but he's playing 25 pound lighter than he needs to be. It really shows up in the B12 where you play all these 3 man fronts with huge heavy NGs like Roy, Lima, and Coburn are tough on him.

The size of this season's OL did not appear to be the root cause of their inadequacy. The problem seemed to stem from

a lack of agility and mobility. Both tackles had great difficulty in providing protection from the outside rush. At times,

their maneuverability seemed to be glaringly deficient. IMHO