• The KillerFrogs

WFAA: TCU student found dead at home near campus

VictoryLap

QUOTE(magicJack @ Jan 19 2010, 11:38 AM) [snapback]505547[/snapback]
I understand its not my room to judge... I know Matthew. However I also know other verses as well. God gave us the gift of life and rejecting it is not a good thing.

Read Proverbs 3:5-6 it says we have a God who loves us and cares for us and promises to meet all of our needs if we place our trust in Him.

Do I believe a Christian is forgiven for suicide? Yes. But I also believe suicide is not an option. We do not have the right to take our own lives. That belongs to God.

After analyzing this I just find it hard to believe God would still welcome her into his Kingdom. However that is above my paygrade so again its just an assumption.

I am also going to assume that you have been lucky enough for this subject to be out of the realm of your experience as well. For that, I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

People who commit suicide are often mentally ill. Since committing suicide is by definition irrational- one can easily say that someone who commits suicide is not in their right state of mind to say the least.

For you to say that all someone has to do is pray to x and y and they will be okay I think is pretty unbelievable. It is all fine and good that you are lucky enough to know who you are- and are healthy- and have a religion to believe in. That is fantastic.

I know the power of faith and prayer- but in all honesty- when someone is suffering day in and day out to the point that they consider suicide, much less attempt it- I think simply praying to an invisible entity that has no tangible/physical impact on someone's life probably won't be enough for most people in this state.

You are not sad for someone who hates life so much- likely because of a chemical imbalance through no fault of their own-but rather the result of the "gift" they were given by their maker?

So rather than admit there is something more to suicide- ie mental illness that can be addressed and managed- you would rather shrug it off as someone who should of just prayed. I wish you would have a little empathy towards the situation and heck- maybe even learn a little something about the topic to possibly help someone in a dire situation should it arise.

Dogfrog

QUOTE(magicJack @ Jan 19 2010, 12:38 PM) [snapback]505547[/snapback]
I understand its not my room to judge... I know Matthew. However I also know other verses as well. God gave us the gift of life and rejecting it is not a good thing.

Read Proverbs 3:5-6 it says we have a God who loves us and cares for us and promises to meet all of our needs if we place our trust in Him.

Do I believe a Christian is forgiven for suicide? Yes. But I also believe suicide is not an option. We do not have the right to take our own lives. That belongs to God.

After analyzing this I just find it hard to believe God would still welcome her into his Kingdom. However that is above my paygrade so again its just an assumption.

From an earlier post you said: Therefore I think she descended into hell and all prayers for her are wasted.

In this latter post you said: Do I believe a Christian is forgiven for suicide? Yes.

I suggest you determine your beliefs before committing them to writing.

BelushiBob

I can not stand it when people take one line in the bible and take it out of context. Magicjack, in no way is the Proverbs verse you quoted as authority to us addressing the issue of suicide. You cant construe words together in the bible to suit what argument you want. It makes us look stupid.

A human being died and it is a loss to all, christian or not. To assume Christianity is sovereign to emotion is absurd.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
Prayers and condolences for Amanda Michelle & her family. Hope all find some peace in this eventually. Has to be just devastating to a parent and hopefully they never see this thread.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(FROGDADDY @ Jan 19 2010, 12:00 PM) [snapback]505561[/snapback]
And after analyzing your views on this I've come to the conclusion that he probably isn't real happy with you right now either.

Amen.

PurplePassion

Princess
QUOTE(FeistyFrog @ Jan 19 2010, 01:16 PM) [snapback]505611[/snapback]
Prayers and condolences for Amanda Michelle & her family. Hope all find some peace in this eventually. Has to be just devastating to a parent and hopefully they never see this thread.

well if they did, hopefully they will see one jackass and a lot of prayers by others. every crowd has a bad egg.

an unimaginable tragedy, no matter the cause, and a life that has ended way too soon.
:(

BABYFACE

QUOTE(crunch @ Jan 19 2010, 01:03 PM) [snapback]505563[/snapback]
Babyface,

I guess it would help if you recall the rather heated threads from about a year ago, referencing Ft. Worths Home Team. I, too, hug my 2 daughters multiple times each day (as much as I can, they are slippery). In fact, stories like this sure warm my heart as I am sending my eldest off to TCU in 7 months.

I live in a metro area that has a lot of crime every day, yet none has touched my home or family. Some of the reasons for that is I (and many others) remain vigilant, communicate, and are very careful about who is in our neighborhood. I don't really care how that sounds, because what I do care about is my families safety, and I choose to take few risks on that front.

I also care about TCU.

I either missed of forgot about those. I do agree with you about stories like this do raise fear and we wonder if the university and the police are doing evry thing possible to address crime and prevention. I will never forget about that TCU gal that went missing in 80's. My recollection may be wrong but I thought they eventually found her body when they drained one of the canals by the Greek dorms.

I was not questioning your feeling on safety and your family, just the " Yeah Ft. Worth's Home Team" raised my eyebrows and got my attention. Just seemed like an odd post to me.

Do you live in Atlanta? From your past posts, I figured you lived somewhere out in that direction. Best wishes to your eldest this coming fall on going to TCU.

P.S. One of the most dangerous metro areas IMO, I have ever visted is the Bay Area in Calfornia. Oakland, the largest slum I have aver seen in my life goes without saying. Surprisingly, beautiful San Fran after sunset, is pretty darn dangerous at night. I lived in Miami for 3 years and it had nothing on the Bay Area in Cali. I was also smart enough to stay away from Liberty City while in Miami.

Frog Wild

Ticket Exchange Pass
QUOTE(riffram2011 @ Jan 19 2010, 07:12 PM) [snapback]505608[/snapback]
This thread is why so many people are put off by Christians.

Actually, I think it's why people are put off by people who call themselves "Christian".

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
I have a daughter in college, and while she is not into partying, not wild as far as that goes, anything can happen and as a parent I worry about her every day. If I had a call like the parents of that girl, well being single, no other children, I don't know that I'd have any reason to continue.

BABYFACE

QUOTE(riffram2011 @ Jan 19 2010, 02:12 PM) [snapback]505608[/snapback]
This thread is why so many people are put off by Christians.

While I agree to some extent with with some of what you are saying, there are a few thoughts I would like to share.

I have always called people that outward profess their faith and reference God or Christ in their conversations as Holy Rollers. I believe that those that fall into this group, have to hold themself to a higher standard since they hold everyone else to it.

As for me, I chose to believe in Christ, but I go to church every so often. I am not a Sunday regular and neither do I profess God and expectations upon others. But, I am still a Christian. If,you don't believe in Christ then you are not a Christian. The term Christian is often misused and defined on a daily basis IMO.

So my point to all this is to say people are put off by Christians is an innacurate statement and basically condemns all that believe in Christ. Where as saying that people are put off by Holy Rollers after they say or do something very unChristian-like would be more accurate. Hypocrisy is what agitates most people.

Okay, I will get off my soap box.

Shaboozie

QUOTE(Frog Wild @ Jan 19 2010, 02:01 PM) [snapback]505654[/snapback]
Actually, I think it's why people are put off by people who call themselves "Christian".

+1

I am a follower of Jesus Christ, and do not share the same mindset as MagicJack. I do feel sympathy for the lost soul who felt that suicide was the answer. I have, and will continue to pray for those who are searching for something greater, and for those who take their own lives.

TheSheik

The saddest and scariest part about magicjacks comments (besides not waiting for all the facts to come out) is that he claims to work for TCU. Now THATS scary.

Shaboozie

QUOTE(magicJack @ Jan 19 2010, 11:38 AM) [snapback]505547[/snapback]

Then pray for this:
"Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted." Matthew 5:4

FrogBones

QUOTE(TheSheik @ Jan 19 2010, 03:17 PM) [snapback]505667[/snapback]
The saddest and scariest part about magicjacks comments (besides not waiting for all the facts to come out) is that he claims to work for TCU. Now THATS scary.

+1

I don't really care for religion, but the FWPD and to a very slightly lesser extent the TCU Police Department HAS TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS!

This is getting out of hand even if there is no foul play involved in this one instance. Between what happened last semester and the fact that TCU is overwhelmingly female, the FWPD really needs to step up and protect TCU students.

It is time the FWPD start protecting TCU students and not trying to ticket them at every possible chance.

HToady

QUOTE(magicJack @ Jan 19 2010, 10:25 AM) [snapback]505455[/snapback]
Suicide is never an answer. If that was the case, I simply can not have any sympathy for this young lady. I'll pray for her family and friends that she did wrong instead.

Star-Telegram now reporting no duct tape was invovled

Can't imagine posting this once let alone on two separate subjects. Can't imagine even making a speculative comment like this!

I'm sure that young lady's family don't require your sympathy.

Oh by the way, there is a drinking game played by students that requires that you attach a large drink to your hand with duct tape, until it's empty. Of course that is speculation too, but at least she has my sympathy regardless.

HFrog1999

QUOTE(HToady @ Jan 19 2010, 03:43 PM) [snapback]505704[/snapback]
Oh by the way, there is a drinking game played by students that requires that you attach a large drink to your hand with duct tape, until it's empty. Of course that is speculation too, but at least she has my sympathy regardless.

Nobody knows what happened. However, this game sounds like a royally bad idea. It sounds like it makes it easy for someone to continue to drink while blacked out which would lead to an extremely high danger for alcohol poisoning.

bullfrog69

QUOTE(HFrog1999 @ Jan 19 2010, 03:49 PM) [snapback]505711[/snapback]
Nobody knows what happened. However, this game sounds like a royally bad idea. It sounds like it makes it easy for someone to continue to drink while blacked out which would lead to an extremely high danger for alcohol poisoning.

sorry no chick is going to be doing edward fortyhands (duct tape 40's on each hand). besides why in the world would you be doing that by yourself? thats a hazing game

HFrog1999

QUOTE(bullfrog69 @ Jan 19 2010, 04:00 PM) [snapback]505718[/snapback]
sorry no chick is going to be doing edward fortyhands (duct tape 40's on each hand). besides why in the world would you be doing that by yourself? thats a hazing game

I wasn't implying that she was doing that. I was talking about the game in general. If it's 40's then that's not nearly as dangerous as what I was thinking about. If someone taped a bottle of Scotch to both of my hands you could call the mortician right then and there.

BTW, your avatar makes me throw up a little in my mouth.

oldscribe

QUOTE(FrogBones @ Jan 19 2010, 03:18 PM) [snapback]505700[/snapback]
+1

I don't really care for religion, but the FWPD and to a very slightly lesser extent the TCU Police Department HAS TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS!

This is getting out of hand even if there is no foul play involved in this one instance. Between what happened last semester and the fact that TCU is overwhelmingly female, the FWPD really needs to step up and protect TCU students.

It is time the FWPD start protecting TCU students and not trying to ticket them at every possible chance.

If this tragedy should turn to be a suicide, how exactly do you propose the FWPD protect TCU students from suicide? :blink: