• The KillerFrogs

Welcome Coach Sonny Dykes Thread

Moose Stuff

Like you knew anything.
I 100% knew that hiring Sonny meant a good offense and that he was likely keeping Kelly and Gonzales which gave us a good chance to keep some recruits and hold the current team together. I knew SMU had killed it with marketing the team and that we BADLY needed that. That was enough to make him a solid hire if no clear home run was available. About 10 days before we announced Sonny I knew Samples was joining and although I wasn’t immediately all in on him once I realized what it could do for recruiting I was way on board. The only complete surprise was Carrington. Add that all up and anyone who incessantly complained looks pretty damn silly right now. Especially anyone who wanted Deion.

Mean Purple

100% knew that hiring Sonny meant a good offense and that he was likely keeping Kelly and Gonzales which gave us a good chance to keep some recruits and hold the current team together. I knew SMU had killed it with marketing the team and that we BADLY needed that. That was enough to make him a solid hire if no clear home run was available. About 10 days before we announced Sonny I knew Samples was joining and although I wasn’t immediately all in on him once I realized what it could do for recruiting I was way on board. The only complete surprise was Carrington. Add that all up and anyone who incessantly complained looks pretty damn silly right now. Especially anyone who wanted Deion.
Oh, wait, Dykes is about offense? Who would have guessed?

Just made the point of some who you have been chastising.

A team's recruiting/assistants following their head coach to the new school is far from unheard of. That's part of what makes the Coach the package deal.

Dude, everybody here has pointed out that there needed to be an infusion. However it happened. Everybody here was for new assistants and knew we needed it. Once he was announced (officially- sorta), everybody is on board and saying give the guy a chance. If he wins, good. That's what everyone wants. Just because they would like to see a "splash" hire and had an opinion does not make them the "idiots" you keep slinging around. If they are not impressed by bringing a dude in via chopper, a scene that was quickly forgotten outside of Frog land after the Brian Kelly news broke, so scheissing what.

Moose Stuff

Oh, wait, Dykes is about offense? Who would have guessed?

Just made the point of some who you have been chastising.

A team's recruiting/assistants following their head coach to the new school is far from unheard of. That's part of what makes the Coach the package deal.

Dude, everybody here has pointed out that there needed to be an infusion. However it happened. Everybody here was for new assistants and knew we needed it. Once he was announced (officially- sorta), everybody is on board and saying give the guy a chance. If he wins, good. That's what everyone wants. Just because they would like to see a "splash" hire and had an opinion does not make them the "idiots" you keep slinging around. If they are not impressed by bringing a dude in via chopper, a scene that was quickly forgotten outside of Frog land after the Brian Kelly news broke, so scheissing what.
I’m not talking about any of the people that wanted someone else but are now on board. I was a Napier guy so I’m one of those too. There were others (one in particular) that were vehemently opposed and never relented. I’m talking about those people.

As for the people that weren’t impressed by the chopper…. Maybe pay attention to the evening as a whole and particularly the commitments and the social media presence of his new assistants. If that doesn’t excite you then you either aren’t paying attention, don’t get it, or actually aren’t a TCU fan.

Mean Purple

I’m not talking about any of the people that wanted someone else but are now on board. I was a Napier guy so I’m one of those too. There were others (one in particular) that were vehemently opposed and never relented. I’m talking about those people.

As for the people that weren’t impressed by the chopper…. Maybe pay attention to the evening as a whole and particularly the commitments and the social media presence of his new assistants. If that doesn’t excite you then you either aren’t paying attention, don’t get it, or actually aren’t a TCU fan.
I can see your point on the media of his assistants. Those two could come down the ramp to the field riding card board and get interest. One thing I think GP was missing, especially when Cumbie left.

HFrog1999

baby groot GIF

Putt4Purple

I 100% knew that hiring Sonny meant a good offense and that he was likely keeping Kelly and Gonzales which gave us a good chance to keep some recruits and hold the current team together. I knew SMU had killed it with marketing the team and that we BADLY needed that. That was enough to make him a solid hire if no clear home run was available. About 10 days before we announced Sonny I knew Samples was joining and although I wasn’t immediately all in on him once I realized what it could do for recruiting I was way on board. The only complete surprise was Carrington. Add that all up and anyone who incessantly complained looks pretty damn silly right now. Especially anyone who wanted Deion.
95% percent with what you stated BUT show me a defense coordinator worth his salt and I'm %100 behind. Not all in yet. Just saying.