• The KillerFrogs

Welcome Coach Sonny Dykes Thread

Limey Frog

Helicopters, Twitter, and rap music aren't exactly my cup of tea, but then my cup of tea is an actual cup of tea, so obviously I'm not the one to consult about how to reach the modern youth.

What I am excited about is the staff Dykes is putting together. I don't follow this stuff closely enough to know first hand how good these guys are, but I'll take it on faith from those who do know that this is shaping up to be a solid staff.

The tragedy here is that this is what we all wanted Gary to do. Why couldn't you just remake your staff, learn to be a CEO head coach, and still be at TCU, GP? Roads not taken...

Moose Stuff

Helicopters, Twitter, and rap music aren't exactly my cup of tea, but then my cup of tea is an actual cup of tea, so obviously I'm not the one to consult about how to reach the modern youth.

What I am excited about is the staff Dykes is putting together. I don't follow this stuff closely enough to know first hand how good these guys are, but I'll take it on faith from those who do know that this is shaping up to be a solid staff.

The tragedy here is that this is what we all wanted Gary to do. Why couldn't you just remake your staff, learn to be a CEO head coach, and still be at TCU, GP? Roads not taken...
Good post. Totally agree on the last part. And honestly, I don’t even care if these guys are great coaches right now. This program needed a jolt of energy and we got a massive one yesterday.

McGregor's Goat

I’m laughing my ass off right now at every poster on this board that thought this was a bad/boring hire.
It seems like we won't know for a year or two? I think he has a chance to succeed, despite his mediocre long-term record, and I can't really fault the hire in the current market. And it's exciting that he seems to be hiring an impressive staff with a couple ace recruiters, but I'm going to watch some games before judging whether he was a good or bad hire. Kevin Sumlin rode around in a "swag copter" and signed great recruiting classes at Texas A&M, but wasn't very good at actually winning football games.

Moose Stuff

It seems like we won't know for a year or two? I think he has a chance to succeed, despite his mediocre long-term record, and I can't really fault the hire in the current market. And it's exciting that he seems to be hiring an impressive staff with a couple ace recruiters, but I'm going to watch some games before judging whether he was a good or bad hire. Kevin Sumlin rode around in a "swag copter" and signed great recruiting classes at Texas A&M, but wasn't very good at actually winning football games.
I think we all understand that wins and losses are all that really matters but anyone that can’t digest what happened to this program yesterday and doesn’t understand how badly it was needed just hasn’t been paying attention. JD/admin targetting Sonny was always about exactly what just happened (combined with believing he’s a solid coach). This program badly needed a reset and it got one.

TCURiggs

Wasn't Sumlin like 34-10?

Beats the hell out of what we've been doing the past four years

McGregor's Goat

Wasn't Sumlin like 34-10?

Beats the hell out of what we've been doing the past four years
It looks like his record at A&M was 51-26, including 25-23 in conference. But I concede your point, that is better than TCU has been post 2015. I think the issue with him was he started 11-2, then was a steady decline to 7-5 as the team progressively became less disciplined and physical.

I'm as excited as anyone to have a much improved staff of assistants. I think TCU will give Dykes everything he needs to succeed, and I agree the program badly needed a change. I'm just not that moved by swag copters and such.