• The KillerFrogs

WEEK 8 - Other Games

Imagine AGC with a Thursday night game right now. We’d be lucky to have 10k.
Probably would depend on opponent but the level of fan support both in intensity and numbers this season seems to be lacking.

Stanford is really curious. While TCU has fallen off the mountain, they look like a team that has fallen off the earth.

Wexahu

Probably would depend on opponent but the level of fan support both in intensity and numbers this season seems to be lacking.

Stanford is really curious. While TCU has fallen off the mountain, they look like a team that has fallen off the earth.

Down to their 3rd string QB. And unlike our 3rd stringer, theirs looks completely in over his head and awful.

Wexahu

Attendance is down for a whole bunch of programs as best as I can tell.

And for all but a handful of schools, stadiums are already about 30-50% too large to begin with. Yep, you might be able to truly pack a stadium once in a blue moon for a really big game but there's nothing wrong with having a little more demand than supply once in awhile. Less than half full stadiums pretty much result in a lame environment.

Moose Stuff

And for all but a handful of schools, stadiums are already about 30-50% too large to begin with. Yep, you might be able to truly pack a stadium once in a blue moon for a really big game but there's nothing wrong with having a little more demand than supply once in awhile. Less than half full stadiums pretty I’d much result in a lame environment.

I’ve seen a TON of empty seats for games at places like FSU, Miami, UCLA, Ole Miss..... at the end of the day if the on field product is lacking fans will eventually start losing interest.

Wexahu

Would be curious if the new CFP structure is a direct cause.

Teams lose a one or two games and eliminate themselves from a quality bowl game. Fans lose interest as a result.

I get what you're saying but this has been the case basically forever. Most of it is just perception, but perception matters. Used to be exactly one bowl game mattered to the extent it had national championship implications. Now two matter. Why that should effect the importance of all the other games I'm not sure why but to the extent it does it's all perception.

And it another possible negative consequence of expanding the CFP even more. If going from 2 to 4 has overall caused fans to lose interest, wouldn't it be fair to say that going from 4 to 8 would result in more fans losing interest?

Eight

I get what you're saying but this has been the case basically forever. Most of it is just perception, but perception matters. Used to be exactly one bowl game mattered to the extent it had national championship implications. Now two matter. Why that should effect the importance of all the other games I'm not sure why but to the extent it does it's all perception.

And it another possible negative consequence of expanding the CFP even more. If going from 2 to 4 has overall caused fans to lose interest, wouldn't it be fair to say that going from 4 to 8 would result in more fans losing interest?

one big thing that has happened that has impacted the perception is i don't recall a network hammering away with the idea that the single most important part of the college season is making the cfp and directing conversation after conversation after conversation about who "is in and who is out"

the conversations have always been around, but i don't ever recall on a national level broadcasters talking about how an entire conference (i.e. the pac) really doesn't matter in the cfp.

LSU Game Attendee

I get what you're saying but this has been the case basically forever. Most of it is just perception, but perception matters. Used to be exactly one bowl game mattered to the extent it had national championship implications. Now two matter.

Exactly. That’s why I stop tuning in to NCAA basketball when March rolls around.

netty2424

Agree to an extent. I also think bowls have lost their luster simply bc there are just so many. Also, the trend of players opting out.

Eight

Agree to an extent. I also think bowls have lost their luster simply bc there are just so many. Also, the trend of players opting out.

some will disagree, but i agree netty.

you have far too many bad bowl games between .500 teams often times played in stadiums that are half full all so espn can fill up their december time slots