• The KillerFrogs

Week 8 Games to Watch / Other Games Thread

Frog-in-law1995

This guy had taken himself out by starting to slide. ?? Maybe I don’t know the exact rule but it sure looked like he lowered his head at the last second and hit the head and neck area. What does defenseless mean exactly?
Slide was too late to factor in. Defenseless essentially means not a qb looking to pass or a receiver in the process of catching. As long as they aren’t defenseless, all you can’t do is make first contact with the crown of your helmet. If they are defenseless, then you can’t hit them with anything in their head/neck area (plus an indicator of targeting). So if the runner had been defenseless, that an easy targeting call. But he wasn’t, and replay verified he led with the shoulder, so it doesn’t matter where he hit the runner…thus no targeting.

Wexahu

Not a runner.

Slide was too late to factor in. Defenseless essentially means not a qb looking to pass or a receiver in the process of catching. As long as they aren’t defenseless, all you can’t do is make first contact with the crown of your helmet. If they are defenseless, then you can’t hit them with anything in their head/neck area (plus an indicator of targeting). So if the runner had been defenseless, that an easy targeting call. But he wasn’t, and replay verified he led with the shoulder, so it doesn’t matter where he hit the runner…thus no targeting.
Fair enough. I know people don’t like giving refs more judgement calls, but I wish there was a way to factor in intent. Not being a homer, but when I compare those two plays, the SMU hit looked more unnecessary and “dirty”, all things considered.