• The KillerFrogs

Week 14: Conference Championship Games Thread

TCUdirtbag

Week 14: December 2-4, 2022
All times CST and all rankings from this week's penultimate CFP Top 25.

The full TV schedule is available here: https://mattsarzsports.com/Schedule/Weekly/football2022/14#.Y4OThuzMI6A

Friday, December 2:
TIME (CST)
GAME & IMPLICATIONS
NETWORK
7:00 pmPAC-12 CHAMPIONSHIP
#11 Utah vs. #4 USC

USC win-and-in the CFP (and Washington or Utah to Rose)
USC L sends Utah to the Rose and USC likely to the Cotton or Alamo
FOX
7:00 pmCUSA CHAMPIONSHIP
North Texas @ UTSA

No CFP/NY6 implications
CBSSN

Saturday, December 3:
TIME (CST)
GAME & IMPLICATIONS
NETWORK
11:00 amBIG 12 CHAMPIONSHIP
#10 K-State vs. #3 TCU

TCU win-and-in the CFP
K-State to Sugar, win or lose, likely vs. Alabama
TCU L and it depends - CFP, Cotton (likely vs. Tulane/UCF), or Alamo (likely vs. Utah, Oregon or Washington)
ABC
11:00 amMAC CHAMPIONSHIP
Ohio @ Toledo

No CFP/NY6 implications
CBSSN
2:30 pmSUN BELT CHAMPIONSHIP
Coastal Carolina @ (RV) Troy

No CFP/NY6 implications
ESPN
3:00 pmSEC CHAMPIONSHIP
#14 LSU vs. #1 Georgia

Georgia to CFP, W or L
LSU W to Sugar vs. K-State; LSU L likely to non-NY6
CBS
3:00 pmAMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIP
#22 UCF @ #18 Tulane

Winner likely to Cotton Bowl, vs. Penn State, TCU, or USC
ABC
3:00 pmMOUNTAIN WEST CHAMPIONSHIP
Fresno State @ Boise State

No CFP/NY6 implications
FOX
7:00 pmACC CHAMPIONSHIP
#23 UNC vs. #9 Clemson

Winner to Orange Bowl, likely vs. Tennessee
ABC
7:00 pmBIG TEN CHAMPIONSHIP
Purdue vs. #2 Michigan

Michigan to CFP, W or L
FOX

Sunday December 4:
TIME (CST)
GAME & IMPLICATIONS
NETWORK
11:00 am - 3:00 pmCFP SELECTION SHOW, FINAL RANKINGS, and NY6 BOWL PAIRINGSESPN

OP updated based on tonight’s rankings. I for one am feeling much better both about TCU’s odds to win Saturday and to make the CFP even if we don’t.

If the favored teams win and rankings otherwise generally hold:

CFP Semi Peach Bowl: (1) Georgia v. (4) USC
CFP Semi Fiesta Bowl: (2) Michigan v. (3) TCU

Rose Bowl: Ohio State v. Washington
Sugar Bowl: Alabama v. Kansas State
Orange Bowl: Clemson/UNC winner v. Tennessee
Cotton Bowl: Penn State v. UCF/Tulane winner

(3 SEC, 3 B1G, 2 Big 12, 2 PAC 12, 1 ACC, 1 AAC)

If only USC falls, Ohio State takes that spot in the Peach Bowl, Penn State goes Rose instead of Cotton. Utah knocks Washington out of the Rose and NY6, and USC is in the Cotton.

Last edited:

Creeperfrog

OP updated based on tonight’s rankings. I for one am feeling much better both about TCU’s odds to win Saturday and to make the CFP even if we don’t.

If the favored teams win and rankings otherwise generally hold:

CFP Semi Peach Bowl: (1) Georgia v. (4) USC
CFP Semi Fiesta Bowl: (2) Michigan v. (3) TCU

Rose Bowl: Ohio State v. Washington
Peach Bowl: Alabama v. Kansas State
Orange Bowl: Clemson/UNC winner v. Tennessee
Cotton Bowl: Penn State v. UCF/Tulane winner

(3 SEC, 3 B1G, 2 Big 12, 2 PAC 12, 1 ACC, 1 AAC)

If only USC falls, Ohio State takes that spot in the Peach Bowl, Penn State goes Rose instead of Cotton. Utah knocks Washington out of the Rose and NY6, and USC is in the Cotton.
Minor edit, the second peach bowl mention should be sugar bowl

froginmn

Seems a little less necessary in the NIL era.

"if you want to go on a nice trip, go take one with the $100k we gave you. In fact, take a few of your friends/teammates".
That would be a good way to destroy a team. Hey TB, take a few of your teammates to South Beach!

LVH

I liked bowl games better when it wasn't a "look at me, I am opting out!" contest. Also the transfer portal is decimating a lot of rosters of bowl game participants.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
I have heard that the Big 12 will not be assigning one "established" team of officials to call this game. Rather, it will be a a group of officials which they have hand picked as individuals, so they have not called a game as a "team" before. No idea what the criteria for selection was.

CountryFrog

I have heard that the Big 12 will not be assigning one "established" team of officials to call this game. Rather, it will be a a group of officials which they have hand picked as individuals, so they have not called a game as a "team" before. No idea what the criteria for selection was.
How many from our game with OU made the cut?

TCUdirtbag

The league stands to benefit greatly if we make the playoff. Win or lose, the cats are going to NOLA. The criteria should be “don’t make it too egregious, but we would prefer TCU win.”

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Probably how annoying each individual was.

This is, as usual, a terrible idea. One of the things Zebra preached was that Officials function as a team, knowing each other's weaknesses and strengths, tendencies, and ability to be in position to see things or not. Breaking up those teams and making a grab bag of differing interpretations makes for a complete lack of consistency within the crew itself. What should be a showcase will turn into a goat rodeo.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Week 14: December 2-4, 2022
All times CST and all rankings from this week's penultimate CFP Top 25.

The full TV schedule is available here: https://mattsarzsports.com/Schedule/Weekly/football2022/14#.Y4OThuzMI6A

Friday, December 2:
TIME (CST)
GAME & IMPLICATIONS
NETWORK
7:00 pmPAC-12 CHAMPIONSHIP
#11 Utah vs. #4 USC

USC win-and-in the CFP (and Washington or Utah to Rose)
USC L sends Utah to the Rose and USC likely to the Cotton or Alamo
FOX
7:00 pmCUSA CHAMPIONSHIP
North Texas @ UTSA

No CFP/NY6 implications
CBSSN

Pretty sure all of us are rooting for the Utes over the University of Spoiled Children. What are your thoughts on the other game this evening?

Sebastian S

For those who are paranoid, like me.

I want Utah to beat USC so it opens the door for OSU, the only team outside the top 4 that I think can still get in. Bama shouldn't have a chance

Utah wins, opens the door to OSU
SO JUST IN CASE we lose, and open another door, there will be no one to enter so we stay at 3

/Paranoia

Go Frogs!!!

Sebastian S

Watching some previews of our game and most say Will Howard came in unexpectedly and was not prepared for TCU. So they think he will play even better this time around because he's had time to prep.

Pls. re watch the beginning of that game.

How long did Martinez play? Did anyone see how he got injured?

Kstate knew and had 2 weeks to prepare Howard to play TCU.

They put Martinez out there as a feeler/test but he really wasnt going to play that game.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
Watching the UTSA - NT pre-game and intro reminds me of how truly great FIL I am TCU made it out of the wilderness to P5 land. I hope I never take it for granted.

No offense to these team or their fans intended, but damn

Frog-in-law1995

Watching some previews of our game and most say Will Howard came in unexpectedly and was not prepared for TCU. So they think he will play even better this time around because he's had time to prep.

Pls. re watch the beginning of that game.

How long did Martinez play? Did anyone see how he got injured?

Kstate knew and had 2 weeks to prepare Howard to play TCU.

They put Martinez out there as a feeler/test but he really wasnt going to play that game.

He was 9-11 for 185 and 2 touchdowns and ran for another in the first half. He’s gonna play better than THAT???