• The KillerFrogs

Week 14: Conference Championship Games Thread

TCUdirtbag

Week 14: December 2-4, 2022
All times CST and all rankings from this week's penultimate CFP Top 25.

The full TV schedule is available here: https://mattsarzsports.com/Schedule/Weekly/football2022/14#.Y4OThuzMI6A

Friday, December 2:
TIME (CST)
GAME & IMPLICATIONS
NETWORK
7:00 pmPAC-12 CHAMPIONSHIP
#11 Utah vs. #4 USC

USC win-and-in the CFP (and Washington or Utah to Rose)
USC L sends Utah to the Rose and USC likely to the Cotton or Alamo
FOX
7:00 pmCUSA CHAMPIONSHIP
North Texas @ UTSA

No CFP/NY6 implications
CBSSN

Saturday, December 3:
TIME (CST)
GAME & IMPLICATIONS
NETWORK
11:00 amBIG 12 CHAMPIONSHIP
#10 K-State vs. #3 TCU

TCU win-and-in the CFP
K-State to Sugar, win or lose, likely vs. Alabama
TCU L and it depends - CFP, Cotton (likely vs. Tulane/UCF), or Alamo (likely vs. Utah, Oregon or Washington)
ABC
11:00 amMAC CHAMPIONSHIP
Ohio @ Toledo

No CFP/NY6 implications
CBSSN
2:30 pmSUN BELT CHAMPIONSHIP
Coastal Carolina @ (RV) Troy

No CFP/NY6 implications
ESPN
3:00 pmSEC CHAMPIONSHIP
#14 LSU vs. #1 Georgia

Georgia to CFP, W or L
LSU W to Sugar vs. K-State; LSU L likely to non-NY6
CBS
3:00 pmAMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIP
#22 UCF @ #18 Tulane

Winner likely to Cotton Bowl, vs. Penn State, TCU, or USC
ABC
3:00 pmMOUNTAIN WEST CHAMPIONSHIP
Fresno State @ Boise State

No CFP/NY6 implications
FOX
7:00 pmACC CHAMPIONSHIP
#23 UNC vs. #9 Clemson

Winner to Orange Bowl, likely vs. Tennessee
ABC
7:00 pmBIG TEN CHAMPIONSHIP
Purdue vs. #2 Michigan

Michigan to CFP, W or L
FOX

Sunday December 4:
TIME (CST)
GAME & IMPLICATIONS
NETWORK
11:00 am - 3:00 pmCFP SELECTION SHOW, FINAL RANKINGS, and NY6 BOWL PAIRINGSESPN

Last edited:

PurpleBloodSpitter

Rooting for a USC loss, I would love to play Ohio State in the natty and get our revenge on them. :)
You and I are on the exact same page! Not sure I see it with Utah though. Every time I’ve watched them this year the qb Rising just doesn’t have it. Hoping for a USC loss anyway. Same for Michigan. Would love an untamed team to beat them. I think TCU makes it in as a #2 or #3 and not much chance of being the #4 seed so I am pulling for the GA win and #1 seed.

Wexahu

I’m not sure the English language contains a word that could accurately describe the magnitude of the kick in the nuts ending this season playing UCF/Tulane in the Cotton Bowl would be.
It should be the highest ranked team in the CFP poll that gets the conference invite, not the CCG winner. We could very easily be playing a team Saturday with three conference losses. Stupid.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
So, TCU must win to have any chance at the CFP. A loss is chicken-fried death.

Kansas State gets a nice prize with the Sugar Bowl, and the Sugar Bowl people will be glad to get a fan base that will show up in droves and spend lots.

Utah, do your duty and whack USC's pee-pee.

Endless Purple

Still several options but only teams to consider for big 6 bowls.
5 teams - Georgia, Michigan, TCU, USC, Ohio St
1 team - UCF/Tulane winner
1 team - Clemson/UNC winner
1 team -Kansas St (4 loss, but Big 12 slot needs filling in Sugar, Texas option here only)
0 teams - Purdue/LSU/Utah only if they win
1-4 teams from - 2 loss teams: Alabama, Tenn, Penn St, Washington

Really unlikely - Oregon, Oregon St, UCLA, Texas

My thoughts/guesses

TCU will be in Fiesta/Peach/Cotton
(TCU will not drop out of the big 6 bowls for a three loss team, but slight chance at a Pac team in the Cotton but unlikely)

Current top 4 - Georgia/Michigan/TCU/USC - (even with a loss, I do not think Michigan or Georgia drop out)
waiting list - Ohio State for USC/TCU (Do not see a 2 loss team jumping any of the top 4 without a complete collapse)

Orange with ACC champ (Clemson/UNC) vs Penn St (Ohio St with Purdue win)
Sugar with Kansas St - Alabama (LSU if they win)

Cotton - UCF/Tulane - TCU/USC/Washington/Tenn/Alabama
Rose should have Ohio St - Washington (Utah if they beat USC) (Purdue would be funny to see if they beat Michigan)

froginmn

My thoughts/guesses

Rose should have Ohio St - Washington (Utah if they beat USC) (Purdue would be funny to see if they beat Michigan)
Rose wouldn't take Purdue. They would take the next highest ranked CFP team. So, tOSU, then PSU.

Utah would be in only if they jump Washington (likely with a CCG win) as the same selection criteria applies.

Frog-in-law1995

TCUdirtbag

I don’t see any way TCU ends up in the Alamo Bowl. If we lose this weekend, what two teams would go to the Cotton Bowl over 12-1 TCU?

Even if we lost 220-0 I think we still make the Cotton Bowl.
It’s an unlikely but not bizarre scenario where K-State beats TCU (presumably quite badly or with significant season ending injuries), Utah beats USC (presumably close), and then USC is ranked higher than TCU. Presumably in this scenario you get Georgia, Michigan, 1-loss Ohio State, and 2-loss Alabama or Clemson in the Playoff.

TCU would be Alamo bound because: Utah gets the Rose as a PAC-12 champ; and a higher-ranked USC gets the only P5 at-large spot in the Cotton. This could conceivably happen with TCU ranked as high as 6th.

Unlikely, yes, but still a possible scenario.

froginmn

Only if the champs make the playoffs. If Purdue and Utah win their CCGs, they will play in the Rose Bowl.
Yeah I guess there are a lot of things to unwind there. Michigan would likely still make the playoff. If they don't (and especially if both UM and USC don't), tOSU would likely make it in.

Frog-in-law1995

Yeah I guess there are a lot of things to unwind there. Michigan would likely still make the playoff. If they don't (and especially if both UM and USC don't), tOSU would likely make it in.
Who makes the playoff won’t matter. If Purdue beats Michigan they will be the Big 10 champs and will play in the Rose Bowl. Same with Utah for the PAC 12.