• The KillerFrogs

We Definitely have the worst fans in College Football

TCURiggs

Agreed. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of the hire but the constant regurgitation of his record at other places isn't the universal answer to the question of whether he is a good hire here. More important than the record at some of these climb the ladder places is whether he is a good fit here and whether he knows what he is doing as a football coach. My first choice was Napier but I can see where Dykes could do well here. Now that he is here, I want to go all in on supporting the program unless or until we decide it's not working and need to make a change. Percentages are that we will. If we don't, we're damn lucky.

Ha. We're on the exact same page, apparently. I'm now saying the same thing in multiple threads like others have been.

TAINTed frog

Agreed. The lack of respect for GP by any true TCU fan is sad but says something about people and fans today IMO.
Good lord. For the most part people have been quite grateful for what Gary has done.

I know it’s difficult but you a lot of people can keep two ideas in their mind:

1) Gary has/was I dispensable to TCU and his accomplishments will not be forgotten and quite possibly rewarded

2) it was a time for a change. For goodness sake the man was concentrated on Plato g the guitar. Which, good for him, find a hobby. But it was clear all parties were looking for a way out.

bp4tcu

Sometimes KF.c just sucks because of our fans. We should be getting excited and supporting our about-to-be-announced coach and staff, but….
I’m more concerned about our fans and our complete lack of ability to fill our stadium week after week. That speaks much louder than some nerds on a message board.

I’m not saying I won’t support SD, but I’m not excited about it. That’s ok right now. There’s always fans disgruntled with a new coaching hire, just part of the sport. Just feels like a very lazy, boring hire to me.

I know for a fact he talked to a few other schools and not a single one offered him. We settled for the guy down the street instead of doing a broad, every angle search.

Last edited:

Tony Lema

Ticket Exchange Pass
I will have to trust that TCU wasn’t lazy in hiring Dykes unless gsr posts that a National search wasn’t conducted, other big targets weren’t contacted, and TCU did nothing but settle for the easy hire. He seems to be the only poster that actually knows. Everything else is opinionated personal conjecture, that is not factual, and in my opinion, worthless message board fodder.

Paul in uhh

Agreed. The lack of respect for GP by any true TCU fan is sad but says something about people and fans today IMO.
I have deep respect and admiration for the man. I’d be nervous just to shake his hand.

I also think he needed to be let go because of his 7-22 record vs current b12 coaches.

Paul in uhh

I’m more concerned about our fans and our complete lack of ability to fill our stadium week after week. That speaks much louder than some nerds on a message board.

I’m not saying I won’t support SD, but I’m not excited about it. That’s ok right now. There’s always fans disgruntled with a new coaching hire, just part of the sport. Just feels like a very lazy, boring hire to me.

I know for a fact he talked to a few other schools and not a single one offered him. We settled for the guy down the street instead of doing a broad, every angle search.
Tech wanted dykes. Dykes turned them down because he wanted this job. Tech didn’t formally offer when they learned this.

Paul in uhh

Not true at all. They had a phone call and it never went anything last that.
My understanding is that the phone call went “Sonny do you have any interest in this job!”

“No, I want the tcu job.”

“Ok thanks”

Assuming your version is the right one - what other schools did he contact?

4 Oaks Frog

I can understand a wait & see, or show me attitude.
I don’t understand complete negativity before he’s even started.
I can and obviously will wait to see what happens. And, hopefully Dykes and staff will be successful. My disappointment comes in the fact that we seemed to aim low in our effort to replace CGP. Maybe we shot high and hit low. Maybe SD is our guy because he was all we could get. If so, well there you go. But, did we do all we could do to hire a rising star with excitement and a winning attitude that young players have a desire to play for? I’m not sure we did.

Now with said, I will support Coach Dykes in every way I can. I want him to succeed, and bring TCU back to a seat at the table.

GO FROGS!
WELCOME CMFSD’
Spit Blood ~~<~<and fornicate baylor!!

4 Oaks Frog

He is a career .500 coach, who can’t beat top 25 teams, can’t beat teams with winning records, and did not come close to winning the AAC while at SMU.

He beat two [ #2020 ]ty TCU teams, which is probably his greatest accomplishment at SMU, and that seems to be real important to some.

He sucks in November as well, and his defenses are atrocious.

I get it, marketing will be better, he will use the portal, and we will see what he does with recruiting. His offense should be significantly better to what we have seen the majority of the last two decades.

He will have more resources, but everyone in the Big 12 has more resources.

He will provide a breath of fresh air compared to Gary, all the above are very important.

I’m on board for the next three years, but odds are he will be what he has always been, and not magically transform into some coach in year 13 of his career who comes in here, wins conference championships, has us consistently ranked, much less in the top ten, and has us in the playoff conversation.

He has literally not done any of that EVER in his career, he has not come close, never punches above his weight, and there is nothing in his 12 year career that indicates that is where this is all going.

I 100% understand people not being excited about this, but at this point it’s done, might as well see what happens.
BRILLIANT!!

GO FROGS!
WELCOME CMFSD!
Spit Blood ~<~<and fornicate baylor!!

McGregor's Goat

Sometimes KF.c just sucks because of our fans. We should be getting excited and supporting our about-to-be-announced coach and staff, but….
I think this is a silly claim. Basically every fan base is "bad" when the team is bad, and most of them are bad when the team is good. TCU has a small fan base, but in terms of quality is probably above average. In general the worst fan bases are those with a large number of very passionate losers who didn't attend the school and are only vaguely aware of the fact that the football team is affiliated with a school. E.g., picture the type of fans who would drive a couple hours in the middle of the night to poison a beloved old tree, then brag about it on the radio.

bp4tcu

My understanding is that the phone call went “Sonny do you have any interest in this job!”

“No, I want the tcu job.”

“Ok thanks”

Assuming your version is the right one - what other schools did he contact?
I don’t know what other schools he talked to but it was 2-3 others, no one offered. If you want the TCU job so much, why even take the calls? He was very interested in Tech.

froglash88

I think this is a silly claim. Basically every fan base is "bad" when the team is bad, and most of them are bad when the team is good. TCU has a small fan base, but in terms of quality is probably above average. In general the worst fan bases are those with a large number of very passionate losers who didn't attend the school and are only vaguely aware of the fact that the football team is affiliated with a school. E.g., picture the type of fans who would drive a couple hours in the middle of the night to poison a beloved old tree, then brag about it on the radio.
It’s in reference to those bashing the next coach without giving him a chance. Just read the numerous threads about this coaching hire to see what I’m talking about.

Paul in uhh

I don’t know what other schools he talked to but it was 2-3 others, no one offered. If you want the TCU job so much, why even take the calls? He was very interested in Tech.
Leverage. That way you can say, “hey tcu, tech offered me 5 years for 3.5 per.. I’m gonna need you to top that.”

Same thing the other way. He could’ve told tech, “tcu is offering me 5mm per.. can you beat that?” And they told him to kick rocks.

Doesn’t mean he’s a terrible coach.