• The KillerFrogs

We Definitely have the worst fans in College Football

DelFrog

Some perspective relative to Sony Dykes' accomplishments at SMU... he was able to completely turn around a program that had been through 7 losing coaches during a woeful 30 year run of futility. Based on that fact alone , I think there is a basis for optimism.

Forrest Gregg 1989–1990.... 3–19 .136
Tom Rossley 1991–1996... 15–48 .250
Mike Cavan 1997–2001... 22–34 .393
Phil Bennett 2002–2007... 18–52 .257
June Jones 2008–2014... 36–43 .456
Tom Mason 2014....... 1–9 .100
Chad Morris 2015–2017... 14–22 .389

Sonny Dykes 2017–present.... 27–14 .659

geefrogs

Some perspective relative to Sony Dykes' accomplishments at SMU... he was able to completely turn around a program that had been through 7 losing coaches during a woeful 30 year run of futility. Based on that fact alone , I think there is a basis for optimism.

Forrest Gregg 1989–1990.... 3–19 .136
Tom Rossley 1991–1996... 15–48 .250
Mike Cavan 1997–2001... 22–34 .393
Phil Bennett 2002–2007... 18–52 .257
June Jones 2008–2014... 36–43 .456
Tom Mason 2014....... 1–9 .100
Chad Morris 2015–2017... 14–22 .389

Sonny Dykes 2017–present.... 27–14 .659
Nice.

If he can have that kind of winning percentage here, I'll be very pleased!

smufrogger

I think we all need to start blocking the dead horse bloggers thst believe if they complain enough somehow Gary will take TCU to thr rose bowl again. The ship has sailed. The rose bowl was great- I was there- but these part years were a beating and I had no inkling Gary had it in him to right the ship.
Moooove on because the whining is really tiresome- if you don’t back the new staff- seriously- find a new team

LSU Game Attendee

Sometimes KF.c just sucks because of our fans. We should be getting excited and supporting our about-to-be-announced coach and staff, but….
Fan base and general structure that enabled Patterson to do his outstanding thing for 20 years is far, far from among the worst. Contrast with the almost infinitely-resourced clown shows in Austin and College Station that accomplish nothing year after year.

flyfishingfrog

And you don’t think that the leaked information had anything to do with the way his team played?

I had a hard time saying goodbye to GMFP, but it’s time to support our new direction. There is also an option to find a new college team to support.
Wait - so our team quit and it was our coaches fault

But their team quit and it was the players fault?

Is there a flow chart for this?

flyfishingfrog

To get excited, look at what Sonny has done recently at a school that was a door mat. He improved SMU significantly and rapidly. That alone should get you excited, as we have talent already and we are far from a door mat. He will turn around our ‘win by one’ mentality on offense, and also be able to do more with our caliber of players than what he had with the Mustangs, where he was always fighting uphill (and yet his program was still doing well). He has good connections in DFW with the high school coaches. He has also been able to get guys in from the portal, notably at QB, which has been a problem for us since, oh, Leon Clay?
That doormat had a coach 5 years before Dykes that actually tied for conference championships - not finished 5th - so again what did Dykes do that wasn’t done before at SMU?

frogteacher70

Why the hell should I be excited about a coach from SMU who loses to Tulsa?

Our last coach won a Rose Bowl and a Peach Bowl.

What’s our new coach done? Plus apparently he’s bringing with him the only coach in College Football who’s actually threatened to assault our fans.

Yay GIF by YoungerTV
That should be quite interesting.

Wexahu

That doormat had a coach 5 years before Dykes that actually tied for conference championships - not finished 5th - so again what did Dykes do that wasn’t done before at SMU?
This from a guy who said Phil Longo would have been a “good option”. Please entertain us with all his credentials.

TCURiggs

This from a guy who said Phil Longo would have been a “good option”. Please entertain us with all his credentials.

A 7-14 record as a HC for the La Salle Explorers in 2004-2005, but a .682% winner (a little better than Sonny's HC percentage at SMU) as the WR Coach/OC at Youngstown State, Slippery Rock ([ What the heck? ] is that?), Sam Houston, Ole Miss and UNC the past 12 years. Sign him up!

To get excited, look at what Sonny has done recently at a school that was a door mat. He improved SMU significantly and rapidly. That alone should get you excited, as we have talent already and we are far from a door mat. He will turn around our ‘win by one’ mentality on offense, and also be able to do more with our caliber of players than what he had with the Mustangs, where he was always fighting uphill (and yet his program was still doing well). He has good connections in DFW with the high school coaches. He has also been able to get guys in from the portal, notably at QB, which has been a problem for us since, oh, Leon Clay?

He is a career .500 coach, who can’t beat top 25 teams, can’t beat teams with winning records, and did not come close to winning the AAC while at SMU.

He beat two [ Finebaum ]ty TCU teams, which is probably his greatest accomplishment at SMU, and that seems to be real important to some.

He sucks in November as well, and his defenses are atrocious.

I get it, marketing will be better, he will use the portal, and we will see what he does with recruiting. His offense should be significantly better to what we have seen the majority of the last two decades.

He will have more resources, but everyone in the Big 12 has more resources.

He will provide a breath of fresh air compared to Gary, all the above are very important.

I’m on board for the next three years, but odds are he will be what he has always been, and not magically transform into some coach in year 13 of his career who comes in here, wins conference championships, has us consistently ranked, much less in the top ten, and has us in the playoff conversation.

He has literally not done any of that EVER in his career, he has not come close, never punches above his weight, and there is nothing in his 12 year career that indicates that is where this is all going.

I 100% understand people not being excited about this, but at this point it’s done, might as well see what happens.

Last edited:

Paul in uhh

I can understand a wait & see, or show me attitude.
I don’t understand complete negativity before he’s even started.
Exactly, precisely how I feel.

Art Briles was only 34-28 at houston. Did you know he was 16-20 after three full seasons with the cougars? Ended up being a home run hire for Baylor (rape excluded).

Nick Saban was similar. 34-24 at MSU before heading to Baton Rouge. Just 25-22 after his four full seasons there. Of course we know the rest there.

Mack Brown was 69-46-1 at UNC before making the jump to UT. He started 2-20(!) at UNC.

Point being - who you are in the past isn’t a guarantee of who you’ll be in the future. The landscape is littered with coaches who were superstars with an impressive win pct who then couldn’t cut it at the new place. The game is weird like that.

In all 3 cases above you have coaches who were “meh” candidates who grew into legends once they had the full resources of a stronger program and more passionate fan base on their side.

Who says Dykes can’t possibly have great success here? The day he steps into the job here, he will have more fans in attendance than he has ever had. More bought in “big money donors” and full administrative support than he has ever had. Better facilities than he has ever had. More money than he has ever had. A deeper pool of cash than he has ever had to hire better team of assistants than he has ever had. And from all signs, he will have better recruiters under him than he has ever had.

Add in that he has a track record of improving programs overall. Add in that he is well known across the metroplex and the state as a whole. Add in that he has shown that he knows how to use the portal to find studs. Add in that he is not afraid of NIL. Add in that he knows that giving fans and media more access is a GOOD thing. Add in that he seems to be a great fit culturally.

I, for one, think Dykes has a LOT of potential to succeed here.

It’s time the haters either cool their jets until actual results come in or maybe they should find a new program to cheer for.

Last edited:
Exactly, precisely how I feel.

Art Briles was only 34-28 at houston. Did you know he was 16-20 after three full seasons with the cougars? Ended up being a home run hire for Baylor (rape excluded).

Nick Saban was similar. 34-24 at MSU before heading to Baton Rouge. Just 25-22 after his four full seasons there. Of course we know the rest there.

Mack Brown was 69-46-1 at UNC before making the jump to UT. He started 2-20(!) at UNC.

Point being - who you are in the past isn’t a guarantee of who you’ll be in the future. The landscape is littered with coaches who were superstars with an impressive win pct who then couldn’t cut it at the new place. The game is weird like that.

In all 3 cases above you have coaches who were “meh” candidates who grew into legends once they had the full resources of a stronger program and more passionate fan base on their side.

Who says Dykes can’t possibly have great success here? The day he steps into the job here, he will have more fans in attendance than he has ever had. More bought in “big money donors” and full administrative support than he has ever had. Better facilities than he has ever had. More money than he has ever had. A deeper pool of cash than he has ever had to hire better team of assistants than he has ever had. And from all signs, he will have better recruiters under him than he has ever had.

Add in that he has a track record of improving programs overall. Add in that he is well known across the metroplex and the state as a whole. Add in that he has shown that he knows how to use the portal to find studs. Add in that he is not afraid of NIL. Add in that he knows that giving fans and media more access is a GOOD thing. Add in that he seems to be a great fit culturally.

I, for one, think Dykes has a LOT of potential to succeed here.

It’s time the haters either cool their jets until actual results come in or maybe they should find a new program to cheer for.
Agreed. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of the hire but the constant regurgitation of his record at other places isn't the universal answer to the question of whether he is a good hire here. More important than the record at some of these climb the ladder places is whether he is a good fit here and whether he knows what he is doing as a football coach. My first choice was Napier but I can see where Dykes could do well here. Now that he is here, I want to go all in on supporting the program unless or until we decide it's not working and need to make a change. Percentages are that we will. If we don't, we're damn lucky.