• The KillerFrogs

We better not get screwed out of the Texas Bowl

Ron Swanson

We have a beat-up 6-6 team. Obviously we won't play anyone with big "bragging rights" on the line. We will play another 6-6 or maybe a 7-5 team. But that's OK. Still a chance for developing the younger players and a shot at a winning season, which looked very dim three weeks ago.
Exactly

The last thing I want for a bowl game this year is an opponent that I hate and have a bunch of friends/family who went there.

ticketfrog123

Sorry, let’s clarify a few things here.

Edited to reflect OKST 3-6 conference record.

Assume OU beats UT, then:

TCU is eligible for (2) Memphis or (1) Houston. Tossup to pick between TCU or Baylor. OKST firm to PHX. Given proximity and recent performance, you’d think TCU would place @ Houston (better payout and highest ranking bowl), with Baylor going to (2) Memphis.

If OU loses to UT or does not make playoff, then we’re limited to lower bowl and Texas bowl is not an option (everyone moves down a slot). It’d be a tossup for (1) Memphis and PHX (2)

Notable OKST booster is on Texas bowl committee and hinted last week that OKST was Houston bound. Would’ve been guaranteed if they won as things would’ve fell nicely with no ties.

The B12 STRICTLY follows teams being placed in bowls based on conference record & standings. Ties in a conference record are a tossup for the bowls to choose.

The SEC does not follow this and hand picks what teams go where.

Last edited:

Moose Stuff

Sorry, let’s clarify a few things here.

Edited to reflect OKST 3-6 conference record.

Assume OU beats UT, then:

TCU is eligible for (2) Memphis or (1) Houston. Tossup to pick between TCU or Baylor. OKST firm to PHX. Given proximity and recent performance, you’d think TCU would place @ Houston (better payout and highest ranking bowl), with Baylor going to (2) Memphis.

If OU loses to UT or does not make playoff, then we’re limited to lower bowl and Texas bowl is not an option (everyone moves down a slot). It’d be a tossup for (1) Memphis and PHX (2)

Notable OKST booster is on Texas bowl committee and hinted last week that OKST was Houston bound. Would’ve been guaranteed if they won as things would’ve fell nicely with no ties.

The B12 STRICTLY follows teams being placed in bowls based on conference record & standings. Ties in a conference record are a tossup for the bowls to choose.

The SEC does not follow this and hand picks what teams go where.

I don’t follow this super closely but it seems to me that we’re BETTER off if UT wins. If OU wins there’s no guarantee any Big 12 team beyond them gets an invite to one of the big bowls. If UT wins it’s a lock that both of them do. Am I missing something here?

ticketfrog123

I don’t follow this super closely but it seems to me that we’re BETTER off if UT wins. If OU wins there’s no guarantee any Big 12 team beyond them gets an invite to one of the big bowls. If UT wins it’s a lock that both of them do. Am I missing something here?

No we are better off 99/100 times if the big 12 has a team in the playoff. We get bowl money shared to TCU the big 12 if we’re in the playoff. TCU also plays in a better bowl game in terms of payout and location if OU wins.

OU losing means they’re in a NY6 bowl at-large spot. Unlikely Texas is also in a NY6 with 3 losses even with an OU win 2x.

Nothing in the bowl system is “a lock” outside of the playoff and the NY6 bowls with conference mandates (rose bowl being Big Ten / P12 and Sugar B12 + SEC).

My opinion is Texas is set in stone to the sugar bowl against Georgia, assuming a Georgia loss here.

The two scenarios are: OU playoff and UT sugar vs. Georgia OR UT sugar vs. UGA & OU fiesta / peach.

I’ll take the money from OU in the playoff.

Shorty

No we are better off 99/100 times if the big 12 has a team in the playoff. We get bowl money shared to TCU the big 12 if we’re in the playoff. TCU also plays in a better bowl game in terms of payout and location if OU wins.

OU losing means they’re in a NY6 bowl at-large spot. Unlikely Texas is also in a NY6 with 3 losses even with an OU win 2x.

Nothing in the bowl system is “a lock” outside of the playoff and the NY6 bowls with conference mandates (rose bowl being Big Ten / P12 and Sugar B12 + SEC).

My opinion is Texas is set in stone to the sugar bowl against Georgia, assuming a Georgia loss here.

The two scenarios are: OU playoff and UT sugar vs. Georgia OR UT sugar vs. UGA & OU fiesta / peach.

That's assuming OU gets in

Moose Stuff

You’re confusing the hell out of me. You wrote the words “unlikely Texas is also in a NY6” (in the scenario where they beat OU in the title game). I mean maybe I’m on drugs here but if UT wins they’re AUTOMATICALLY in a NY6 bowl.

And then you completely contradict that comment later in your post.

ticketfrog123

You’re confusing the hell out of me. You wrote the words “unlikely Texas is also in a NY6” (in the scenario where they beat OU in the title game). I mean maybe I’m on drugs here but if UT wins they’re AUTOMATICALLY in a NY6 bowl.

And then you completely contradict that comment later in your post.

Sorry just had a discussion about why TCU didn’t get in a NY6 as a loser of CCG previously and got twisted.

Yes the sugar is a NY6, that post was confusing.

I’m not sure I follow why you think OU missing the playoff is a good thing for TCU or the conference?

I’ll reword it simply. Would you rather have OU in the playoff or the Fiesta / Peach Bowl? Texas is in the Sugar Bowl (NY6) regardless of B12 CCG outcome. Texas winning means less money for TCU athletics as a result of bowl money.

I do believe OU is win and in the playoff for clarity. Don’t think you can make a case for a 30 PT loss to Purdue as a playoff caliber team.

Moose Stuff

Sorry just had a discussion about why TCU didn’t get in a NY6 as a loser of CCG previously and got twisted.

Yes the sugar is a NY6, that post was confusing.

I’m not sure I follow why you think OU missing the playoff is a good thing for TCU or the conference?

I’ll reword it simply. Would you rather have OU in the playoff or the Fiesta / Peach Bowl? Texas is in the Sugar Bowl (NY6) regardless of B12 CCG outcome. Texas winning means less money for TCU athletics as a result of bowl money.

I do believe OU is win and in the playoff for clarity. Don’t think you can make a case for a 30 PT loss to Purdue as a playoff caliber team.

I’m basing my comments on what is best for TCU in terms of which bowl we go to. I don’t honestly care one bit about the payouts. And let me amend the use of the word “better”...... it’s not better, it’s the same. Regardless of the outcome on Saturday both of those teams are going to an NY6 Bowl (I see no way that OU doesn’t get an at large invite if they lose). There is no moving up or down for the rest of us based on who wins. That’s how I see it at least unless I’m just missing something here.

Purp

Don’t think you can make a case for a 30 PT loss to Purdue as a playoff caliber team.
I agree with this, but I also didn't think you could make a case for a 14 point loss at home to a 6 loss (?) Virginia Tech team.

Sorry if this drags Wex out of hiding for those of you who haven't put him on ignore.

Farmfrog

I want Vandy or USCe in a bowl game. Would be a very defensive game and much more winnable. I wouldn’t mind Phoenix if we were able to play a PAC 12 team but they don’t have enough eligible teams.

ticketfrog123

I’m basing my comments on what is best for TCU in terms of which bowl we go to. I don’t honestly care one bit about the payouts. And let me amend the use of the word “better”...... it’s not better, it’s the same. Regardless of the outcome on Saturday both of those teams are going to an NY6 Bowl (I see no way that OU doesn’t get an at large invite if they lose). There is no moving up or down for the rest of us based on who wins. That’s how I see it at least unless I’m just missing something here.

Some believe there’s a scenario where OU wins and does not make the playoff, putting them in the sugar. That scenario moves everyone down a notch, which I understand if that’s where you’re coming from re: OU losing isn’t a bad thing.

LeagueCityFrog

How much bowl money are we talking here for the conference if OU wins vs UT and then everyone moves up the bowl food chain when OU goes to the Playoff?

Another thing too... Come next weekend what is a better win? OU avenging their only loss to brand name Texas or Ohio State who lost to PURDUE then defeating a 8 or 9 win Northwestern team?

Two words... Boomer Sooner... and let's get the Frogs in the Texas Bowl vs an SEC team.

Moose Stuff

Some believe there’s a scenario where OU wins and does not make the playoff, putting them in the sugar. That scenario moves everyone down a notch, which I understand if that’s where you’re coming from re: OU losing isn’t a bad thing.

I’m starting to confuse myself at this point......I agree it’s possible for OU to win and not get into the playoff. That’s what led me to my original comment that UT winning is better for our bowl scenarios. My “same” comments above aren’t really accurate (in fact, just disregard that whole post) as I wasn’t allowing for OU losing and not getting into the playoff. Ugh...... I was up too late apparently.

Last edited:

Moose Stuff

How much bowl money are we talking here for the conference if OU wins vs UT and then everyone moves up the bowl food chain when OU goes to the Playoff?

Another thing too... Come next weekend what is a better win? OU avenging their only loss to brand name Texas or Ohio State who lost to PURDUE then defeating a 8 or 9 win Northwestern team?

Two words... Boomer Sooner... and let's get the Frogs in the Texas Bowl vs an SEC team.

This is the best scenario, but only if OU gets into the playoff. The SAFEST scenario for us getting in a better bowl is UT winning IMO.

TCUdirtbag

Sugar Bowl contract. OU to Playoff then #2 guaranteed Sugar.