• The KillerFrogs

We are just going to have accept this defense is what it is

4th. down

I remember him as a guy who had an uncanny instinct to determine where the ball was going long before the snap. Often he would be pointing to the player who was going to get the ball, and then would go in and make the tackle with bone-jarring efficiency. Wasn't necessarily the fastest guy on the field, but when you know where they are going...

I watched the TCU vs Colorado St. bowl game from the bar at Chili's in Abu Dhabi, UAE. It was like he was the QB and knew every play. The Colorado QB (Van Pelt) was plenty good but McDaniel was on him all night. I got so excited, the bartender asked me to tone it down......got a lot of funny looks from the Arab crowd. What a game and what a performance and Stilley!

Moose Stuff

So sick of hearing this scheissing [ #2020 ] every year about virtually every new defensive player. No freshman is ever going to know it all but the fact that we can't even get most of these guys to the point where they can get on the field for 15-20 snaps is maddening.
I feel like many of these guys would play earlier at other places. Gary would rather get beat using a bunch of mediocre players that know their assignments than using a bunch of talented kids that make some mistakes. I also feel like he makes things unnecessarily complicated.

Wexahu

So sick of hearing this scheissing [ #2020 ] every year about virtually every new defensive player. No freshman is ever going to know it all but the fact that we can't even get most of these guys to the point where they can get on the field for 15-20 snaps is maddening.
And what is going on with Marcel Brooks is one of the biggest TCU football mysteries in a long time. Is he still on the team?

Wexahu

I feel like many of these guys would play earlier at other places. Gary would rather get beat using a bunch of mediocre players that know their assignments than using a bunch of talented kids that make some mistakes. I also feel like he makes things unnecessarily complicated.
I don’t buy the “doesn’t know the playbook” theory. Just doesn’t make much sense. It’s gotta be something else.

Hell, the infamous Mike Freeze started his first game as a true freshman against a halfway decent team and played like the whole game. And spent the majority of his time on campus high as a kite if rumors are true. So he had the playbook mastered by the end of fall practice?

Moose Stuff

And what is going on with Marcel Brooks is one of the biggest TCU football mysteries in a long time. Is he still on the team?
I don’t feel like that one is a mystery at all. Kid is a flake that didn’t want to play defense and isn’t good enough to break into our WR rotation.

4th. down

It's too complicated coming out of HS and it takes 3 years to get it down for the secondary but there are exceptions. It was ok in the past because players stayed for 4-5 years and GP just kinda moved them along. Of course everything has changed now.......except GP. You don't hear other Power 5 schools having this difficulty. Too much thinking because they are not sure or if they miss GP's signal, so they are hesitant because they don't want to come off the field and he's right in their face screaming at them and he's the one that needs to be screamed at. Our secondary and LB are passive, the worst since 2004.

Wasn’t intended as as anything beyond FWIW type info. And you should call yourself the TCU Football Idiot if you’ve ever spent $8 on a coffee.

Didn't say I ever spent 8 bucks on coffee, I was directing that at you....although your not so much an idiot as one who just likes to talk out of both sides of their mouth.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
You don't hear other Power 5 schools having this difficulty.
You are probably not following other P5 schools -- especially those not ranked -- very closely. For example, a headline I came across this very morning: "Virginia Tech fans tired of Fuente."