• The KillerFrogs

We are just going to have accept this defense is what it is

Eight

No they weren’t, for exactly the reasons he said. I don’t think anyone is saying they were good either, but considering how their offense has been playing that was definite progress.

You could have stopped after the first paragraph. We were dominating them mercilessly. What happened after we hit the brakes doesn’t really bother me.

dominating them defensively? no, they scored 10 points on 4 series and i have been told that each possession is supposedly worth 2.4 points which would be 9.6 points.

the domination came from 4 consecutive td's and a pick 6 which was great, this team did what was needed on the offensive side of the ball and was opportunistic in a big play defensively. what did you see defensively in the first 4 tech offensive series show the tcu defense can go toe to toe with ou next week

in regards to texas, the horns scored 32 points on 7 of 12 series which if that 2.4 points per series is correct means they were above average. the best thing the tcu defense did against texas was force 4 field goals instead of touchdowns

do find it interesting a baseball guy disregards the inability of this defense to get a stop when it is absolutely needed which happened in the smu game and the texas game. i most likely am way wrong but when you do or don't get stops matters

LVH

Like almost every year the defense starts slowly then around games 7-8 starts to gel. Baylor scored 61 in game 5 in 2014 but what kind of defense did we have at year's end? If the offense is going well, we win. Also, per usual we come into the season all beaten up from Fall camp and it takes a few games to get the starters back and younger player learn the defense (Coleman looked great the few plays he was in, for instance. That spin move he put on the Tech tackle to get a sack was a thing of beauty. Soon he will be starting.)

At least the offense has done enough to keep them in the game. Against OU we won't be able to run the ball that well and will have to throw it to win. Or maybe Tech's DL is pretty good and we now have the best run blocking in college football....naw, we need to learn to throw the ball when we have to.

Another thing people miss about the 2014 Baylor game is Baylor had 22 possessions in that game. In an average game, a team has about 13 possessions. So we had to defend 7 quarters worth of possessions against a fast paced offense with the best stats in the country. We held them under 3 points per possession in that game which was pretty good all things considered

BABYFACE

It's a bad defense. But if they can just have stretches of competency and even make a couple plays here in there like they did in that first half last night then it gives us a chance. Probably will have to score 50 again next week to win.
Yes, a bad defense. But hey, we can talk about they are great athletes. I Would be happy just with a good football players on defense.

SuperTFrog

dominating them defensively? no, they scored 10 points on 4 series and i have been told that each possession is supposedly worth 2.4 points which would be 9.6 points.

the domination came from 4 consecutive td's and a pick 6 which was great, this team did what was needed on the offensive side of the ball and was opportunistic in a big play defensively. what did you see defensively in the first 4 tech offensive series show the tcu defense can go toe to toe with ou next week

in regards to texas, the horns scored 32 points on 7 of 12 series which if that 2.4 points per series is correct means they were above average. the best thing the tcu defense did against texas was force 4 field goals instead of touchdowns

do find it interesting a baseball guy disregards the inability of this defense to get a stop when it is absolutely needed which happened in the smu game and the texas game. i most likely am way wrong but when you do or don't get stops matters
I think it is extremely helpful to compare how they are doing against other teams. Taking out our game, UT has averaged over 50 points a game. We held them to 32…18 points below their average.

Eight

I think it is extremely helpful to compare how they are doing against other teams. Taking out our game, UT has averaged over 50 points a game. We held them to 32…18 points below their average.

the problem with comparisons is context and actually in their other 5 games they averaged just under 41 points a game and not 50. would guess the 50 is games in which thompson has played quarterback which goes back to the issue of context with stats.

looking at the total defense and scoring defense rankings for the teams texas has faced this year they have faced 1 good defense and that is arkansas (#39 and #66). ou would be next at #52 and #62 and if you look at how that game started with a 1 play scoring drive followed by taking over at the ou 2 on a blocked punt they had some struggles consistently moving the ball from that point in the game

texas scored on 7 of 11 scoring drives against tcu which is below average defensively, but the biggest thing tcu did was in the 6 times texas got to the tcu 20 or closer they only scored 1 td. this was far and away the best red zone defense the frogs have played this year in forcing 4 fgs and i have said they did a good job with that.

so red zone situation defense tcu did a very good job against the runs. late game have to get the ball back they did a bad job in the final series.

Toad Jones

McDonald was an animal....
Was he ever fun to watch. If you were an RB, you had no chance. Also what was the name of the player from California who hit the player near the goal line on kick off with such force, they picked his arms and legs up 10 feet from the hit. Never, since that hit, have I seen Gary so excited. He ran onto the field to congratulate the TCU kid from California and the crowd went wild. (the Cali player from TCU wasn't big but could he hit you) No kidding he hit that kid so hard, the ref's sent the ambulance to DeSoto to pick him up. It was along the same time when McDonald played. Now that I think more about it, it was a Baylor kid. My wife asked...is that boy still alive?!?. Jug you were around about that time weren't you.

SuperTFrog

the problem with comparisons is context and actually in their other 5 games they averaged just under 41 points a game and not 50. would guess the 50 is games in which thompson has played quarterback which goes back to the issue of context with stats.

looking at the total defense and scoring defense rankings for the teams texas has faced this year they have faced 1 good defense and that is arkansas (#39 and #66). ou would be next at #52 and #62 and if you look at how that game started with a 1 play scoring drive followed by taking over at the ou 2 on a blocked punt they had some struggles consistently moving the ball from that point in the game

texas scored on 7 of 11 scoring drives against tcu which is below average defensively, but the biggest thing tcu did was in the 6 times texas got to the tcu 20 or closer they only scored 1 td. this was far and away the best red zone defense the frogs have played this year in forcing 4 fgs and i have said they did a good job with that.

so red zone situation defense tcu did a very good job against the runs. late game have to get the ball back they did a bad job in the final series.
I was wrong in my math, because I gave them Arkansas points. I think your math is off as well.

Game 1 - 38
Game 2 - 21
Game 3 - 58
Game 4 - 70
Game 6 - 48
Total - 235
Average - 47

Eight

I was wrong in my math, because I gave them Arkansas points. I think your math is off as well.

Game 1 - 38
Game 2 - 21
Game 3 - 58
Game 4 - 70
Game 6 - 48
Total - 235
Average - 47

when you take out the safety against rice and the defensive td against tech i think the number gets close to the middle between my 40 and your original 50 and as i said before the frogs did a very good job inside the redzone holding texas to field goals

the biggest defensive issues in that game was texas scoring on 7 of 11 offensive series, running the ball effectively through much of the game and the final series.

a big part of that was not only the 2 fumbles, but the poor kick coverage that had texas starting near midfield twice as well as a couple of series that started near midfield after punts.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Was he ever fun to watch. If you were an RB, you had no chance. Also what was the name of the player from California who hit the player near the goal line on kick off with such force, they picked his arms and legs up 10 feet from the hit. Never, since that hit, have I seen Gary so excited. He ran onto the field to congratulate the TCU kid from California and the crowd went wild. (the Cali player from TCU wasn't big but could he hit you) No kidding he hit that kid so hard, the ref's sent the ambulance to DeSoto to pick him up. It was along the same time when McDonald played. Now that I think more about it, it was a Baylor kid. My wife asked...is that boy still alive?!?. Jug you were around about that time weren't you.
I remember him as a guy who had an uncanny instinct to determine where the ball was going long before the snap. Often he would be pointing to the player who was going to get the ball, and then would go in and make the tackle with bone-jarring efficiency. Wasn't necessarily the fastest guy on the field, but when you know where they are going...