• The KillerFrogs

Vicis Helmet

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Commissioner Bowlsby talked yesterday about the deal the league made with Vicis. Here is the new helmet, and it feels about twice as heavy as the Schutt TCU helmet on display (I don't have specific numbers), but how do you guys think this will impact play?

IMG_2245.jpg IMG_6900.jpg IMG_1323.jpg IMG_9135.jpg IMG_1321.jpg

For comparison, here is the current Schutt helmet.

IMG_5821.jpg

BABYFACE

Turn back the clock to 80’s, helmets were heavy compared to current ones. It didn’t bug players back then, so players today will adjust with very little issue imo.

Eight

Not to mention mandatory knee, thigh, tailbone, kidney and 4 foot wide shoulder pads...

the protective equipment players wore then is stone age technology compared to the equipment worn today especially in the shoulder pads, girdles and protective shirts.

same with uniforms etc... now if they could only create a pair of cleats in which players won't slip in.

netty2424

4 foot wide shoulder pads got me
Came across my high school shoulder pads not long ago looking for something in the attic. Made me laugh a little. They were huge. On top of that had the old huge neck roll.
0ad1a1e3ec991034c3fb175dc6d26cff--ou-football-football-players.jpg

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
It appears that there is a suspension between the inner lining and the hard plastic exterior. Does this extra 1" (guesstimate) of volume make the helmet appreciably larger than the Schutt helmet? Will all BIGXII players be doing the Gizoo look?

BankerFrog

TBH if it protects these players long-term health I am all for them. I think this is a step in the right direction for football.

Double V

Hopefully the safety tests performed have simulated real-life scenarios and the effects of the extra weight on the neck in instances like falling down backwards and hitting your head on the turf.