• The KillerFrogs

Utilization of Turpin

ETXFrog

Ticket Exchange Pass
Anyone else think that Turpin was underutilized last year? Looking at last years numbers he averaged per a game:

Receptions: 2.92
Rushes: .78

I know he is small, but I think with his elusiveness and play making ability he should be getting at least 6-8 receptions a game.

jake102

His rushes per game should be like .25 IMO

I would like to see him get involved more in the pass game, and on throws beyond 5 yards. There were a few times last season where he was WIDE open on a little inside juke slant route. Just don't think he ever clicked with Hill

ETXFrog

Ticket Exchange Pass

I would like to see him get involved more in the pass game, and on throws beyond 5 yards. There were a few times last season where he was WIDE open on a little inside juke slant route. Just don't think he ever clicked with Hill

Agreed, I think most of his receptions were within 5 yards. I'd like to see some more downfield receptions too.

jake102

You have to be able to catch it before you can run with it...

Definitely true. He dropped one of those inside juke slants against KState that would have been a walk in TD from about 30 yards out. IIRC his defender fell to the ground he juked him so hard, Hill hit him in stride over the middle and he dropped the ball.

MAcFroggy

I think we need to get him involved in the offense a little more as well. If he is 100% healthy, I think he will get more touches this year. He is also such a great punt returner and kick returner that he provided true value to the team with those roles (field position & touchdowns). If you combine the total number of hits he takes during a game including punt returns, kick returns, carries, and catches, it begins to add up quickly (especially for a guy his size!).

It's a long season and we need to have him for the entire season. In that sense I understand limiting his overall offensive touches. However, I still think he could get a couple more touches a game.

Last edited:

Bob

That's because he wasn't 6'8 with an eight foot wingspan and a 60 inch vertical.

FrogLifeYo

Still anxiously awaiting the day we let an inside receiver just run a damn vertical in the seam..All these 5 yard outs are hot reads and I know why we do them I just feel like we don’t really challenge anyone’s Safeties in the middle of the field.

CountryFrog

If only that were the case. There was a reason he didn’t get more balls.
Considering the fact that pretty much all of our receivers the last couple years have had at least occasional problems with drops - I'm not buying this excuse. Turpin has actually been one of the more reliable options catching the ball.

CountryFrog

I think a lot of Turpin’s utilization will also depend on how much defenses gear our deep ball. In 2015 defenses had to focus so much on stopping the Boykin/Doctson deep ball that Turpin had free reign of the middle of the field.
This is definitely a huge factor. It's very important that the deep passing game makes a return this year. That plus a strong running game would give Turp lots of single coverage to work against.