• The KillerFrogs

USC Punished!

JimSwinkLives!

[SIZE=14pt]TROJANS ISSUE SEVERE SELF-IMPOSED PUNISHMENT[/SIZE]

Los Angeles (AP) -
The University of Southern California today announced tough sanctions against itself in light of several violations committed by the school's football program. The announced self-imposed sanctions come days ahead of a highly anticipated release of findings by the NCAA Infractions Committee regarding severe violations in the university's football and men's basketball programs. USC officials, including former head football coach Pete Carroll, appeared before the Infractions Committee February 17-20 in Phoenix. The committee typically takes six to eight weeks to issue its findings.

"The extra-benefits that were given to Reggie Bush during his time here and the car that Joe McKnight has been allowed to use, among other major violations, will not stand here at USC," said USC athletics director Michael Garrett. "We take these things very seriously. As such, our women's field hockey program is losing three scholarships and may not participate in the Pac-10 tournament."

The field hockey team will, however, be allowed to participate in the NCAA Tournament if it receives a bid.

"It's an olive branch to them to improve their behavior," said Garrett. "No one on the football team wants those girls to miss out on a field hockey title, I'm sure of it."

Football coach Lane Kiffin said he was unaware of the punishment.

"I had no idea we had a field hockey team," said Kiffin.

Garrett says he thinks his quick action will show the NCAA that the school's football program is playing within the rules. "This is just the first step, too," he said. "If anything more happens, then we hit women's swimming. Before long it gets really serious and we go after a men's sport. Like tennis. Not one of the real ones, of course. But still, I think the message has been sent."

A source within the NCAA's enforcement staff, speaking on condition of annonymonity, says USC has taken the necessary corrective steps, but was perplexed by the public disclosure of the move.

"They didn't even have to do this," he said. "Frankly, we're (NCAA) a bit surprised. They're one of the top football programs in the nation. They should know that we're never going to severely punish a program at that level. What's actually more concerning is that they brought attention to their indiscretions this way. That's what we might punish them for. We prefer programs just pretend everything is on the up-and-up. We don't want a repeat of the 1980s."

froginaustin

:laugh:

Wait a minute. This article is made up!

We all know that it'll be athletes at a school like Troy University (Alabama) that are punished for the Bush/McKnight rules violations, not anyone actually enrolled at USC.

Gunner

"We don't punish the big TV market guys, but now, if a team like TCU violates a rule, we give them 7 years of scholarship punishment"... "And we did that twenty years ago"....

"But the most fun, was giving little SMU the 'death penalty"......

JimSwinkLives!

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Apr 13 2010, 03:40 PM) [snapback]544331[/snapback]
I would expect this article to be posted by any poster on the board besides Jim Swink Lives

Yeah, this is usually not my type of cynicism, but I couldn't resist this one. I've been eagerly waiting for the Infractions Committee to release its findings since February, so I think the waiting is finally getting to me. :biggrin:

gdu

QUOTE(dannyfrog @ Apr 13 2010, 10:06 PM) [snapback]544383[/snapback]
Has anyone seen the video of the freshman running back for USC? Check it out on YouTube. Kid is a flat out stud.

they are talking about it on SC. I'll have to check it out.