• The KillerFrogs

USC fires Helton

bmoney214

OUCH!!!
Lol at Gary coaching in Los Angeles. Talk about oil and water.
No [ Finebaum ] lol.

I was watching the post game press conference on GoFrogs and he looked so uncomfortable that it made me uncomfortable.

And with all this endowment money and everything TCU has, is it too much to ask for someone to get a decent microphone for the press conference? I swear Gary was going to poke himself in the face a few times with that damn thing.

HToady

From the WSJ:

At the close of the 2020-21 academic year, women made up 59.5% of college students, an all-time high, and men 40.5%, according to enrollment data from the National Student Clearinghouse, a nonprofit research group. U.S. colleges and universities had 1.5 million fewer students compared with five years ago, and men accounted for 71% of the decline.
Where are the non binary’s?

asleep003

From the WSJ:

At the close of the 2020-21 academic year, women made up 59.5% of college students, an all-time high, and men 40.5%, according to enrollment data from the National Student Clearinghouse, a nonprofit research group. U.S. colleges and universities had 1.5 million fewer students compared with five years ago, and men accounted for 71% of the decline.

That means the conservative parties are getting stronger....

ticketfrog123

Why didn’t they fire him after last season? They do it with a 1-1 record after two games?

buyouts step down at different dates. Some are January, others are summer.

buyout was $10mm and stock market has done well since Covid - hard to get rid of a $15 million buyout last year with Covid lingering. USC is apparently in a tough financial spot with some scandals / lawsuits

Froggish

Hello Matt, this is Mike Bohn, so how’d you like get out of Ames and be the next HC at USC?

Bohn was at Cincy before USC and he hired Fickell. Wonder if Fickell would get that call because of the connection. Cincy to USC is a pretty big leap.

Side note...The AD who replace Bohn at Cincy is a TCU grad

Planks

We need our conference mates to be strong on the field, now more than ever.

Agreed. Though I will say, as impressive as Matt Campbell has been as Coach at Iowa State, I would really appreciate it if he could actually beat Iowa one of these years. It makes the Big 12 look bad that Iowa State always has a good record in conference, but can’t beat Iowa from the BIG.

Matt Campbell is 3-2 against TCU, but 0-4 against Iowa. I don’t like that.

Zubaz

Bohn was at Cincy before USC and he hired Fickell. Wonder if Fickell would get that call because of the connection. Cincy to USC is a pretty big leap.
Would be a huge leap. The last coaching hires
Helton - USC Assistant for the preceding 5 years.
Sarkisian - Former Washington coach.
Kiffin - Former NFL coach, former Tennessee coach.
Carroll - Former New England Patriots coach.
Hackett - Former KC Chiefs OC.

That's some big boy pedigree. Cinci is a good program and Fickell obviously has the Ohio State experience too, but that's a big leap relative to where they've hired from previously. Besides, I would imagine they want to make a statement about the state of their program, and as good as Fickell is I don't think "the hottest G5 coach right now" is big enough.

Wexahu

Would be a huge leap. The last coaching hires
Helton - USC Assistant for the preceding 5 years.
Sarkisian - Former Washington coach.
Kiffin - Former NFL coach, former Tennessee coach.
Carroll - Former New England Patriots coach.
Hackett - Former KC Chiefs OC.

That's some big boy pedigree. Cinci is a good program and Fickell obviously has the Ohio State experience too, but that's a big leap relative to where they've hired from previously. Besides, I would imagine they want to make a statement about the state of their program, and as good as Fickell is I don't think "the hottest G5 coach right now" is big enough.

To be fair, four of those big boy pedigree hires failed pretty miserably, so to some degree that approach is what has gotten them in this position. They might not be so concerned about that with this next hire.

Zubaz

To be fair, four of those big boy pedigree hires failed pretty miserably, so to some degree that approach is what has gotten them in this position. They might not be so concerned about that with this next hire.
Oh for sure, but programs like that don't think outside the box too often. I just think they are looking at the fact that the guy they just fired was the only guy without big time head coaching experience, and want "a name" bigger than Fickell. It's not the right decision, but I can see that being the mentality.