• The KillerFrogs

USC and UCLA to the Big 10?

tcu'85

Our only hope is a 4 conference 64 team super league that breaks away from the NCAA in all sports; however, it is unlikely that the BIG and SEC will agree to splitting the money with that many schools.

LVH

Our only hope is a 4 conference 64 team super league that breaks away from the NCAA in all sports; however, it is unlikely that the BIG and SEC will agree to splitting the money with that many schools.
Won't happen at 64. It will be 40 max, but ideally they want it at 32 or less and will cut teams like Vanderbilt and Northwestern. The NCAA breakaway will happen. Then TCU will be in a position needing to play a buy game on the road against a super conference opponent for a paycheck to fund the athletic department.

We are 2 years away from being completely shut out of major college sports.

Frozen Frog

There is a point where a university must choose its identity. U of Chicago did it years ago. I don’t know if other schools will follow. The bottom feeders may continue in the big conferences. Who knows. I went to a small college. Our football team wasn’t great, but I loved going to the games. I became the mascot and got a reputation that earned a file in the conference office. My point is whether TCU moves to the new SEC/Big Ten or drops to D3 they will always be one of my teams.

I’ve long said I think TCU is headed to the PAC. I think losing the LA schools hurts the conference, but it is still a great one. I think there are at least 3 schools that add just as much as the LA schools do to a tv deal. Nothing says USC football like probation, and UCLA isn’t the powerhouse they were years ago. The ACC schools have to be scared big time. Their GOR contract is going to handcuff them. I think the PAC grows intstead of the Big 12.

thefrogking

Statement from Commissioner Bob Bowlsby: Big 12 officially extending invitations to the University of Oregon, Arizona State University, the University of Arizona, and the University of Washington to join beginning in the 2024-25 academic year. More details to come.

TCUdirtbag

Agreed …Big 12 is dead man walking …
Disagree. Too soon to know whether the Big 12 or Pac 12 survive. In a sense, though, everyone not named or a member of the SEC or B1G is a dead man walking.

we are by far the most attractive Big 12 school because of our location and recruiting base …
Don’t agree we are “by far the most attractive”. It’s a tight race. We should be in the race. But we have positives (you identify two) and negatives. College football is national. Having a “presence” in a state/region is decreasing in importance—-especially if we’re headed toward a B1G/SEC world with an effective B-league.

that would be the only reason B1G might kick the tires on us …all their members would love to play a game in Texas once every three years, same with Pac-12 key words in their statement “potential members” they are going shopping and will want to do it fast.
The B1G will kick the tires on programs that make financial sense. That’s it. Same comments as above re: decreasing importance of geography. PAC-12 isn’t in a position to be in a hurry until the B1G signs a new media deal and they know who’s still in.

Finally, ESPN desperately wants the B12 to blow up so it’s going to happen only a matter of time!
This conspiracy framing is tired. ESPN, FOX, etc. have inventories to fill and ads/streaming subscriptions to sell. They want the best content at the lowest price. That’s it. It’s not personal. Shedding some overpriced deadweight is good for their bottom line. So is creating intriguing matchups and balanced programming from 12pm-12am ET and 9am-12am PT on Saturdays, plus prime time on Thursdays and Fridays. Consolidation may work to our advantage honestly if it brings more bidders to the table.

LVH

I will still keep going no matter what happens as I enjoy going to the events. I just not optimistic right at this moment TCU is not facing some sort of deregulation
I know I sound like a negative Nancy but it's certain we are facing deregulation. It doesn't matter if we add the Arizona schools and Utah and Colorado - the Big 12 will not be relevant nationally when the "Super 2" suck all the oxygen out of the room and set the agenda.

I think the new Big 12 will be viewed in a similar scope to how FCS football is viewed today - minor leagues and irrelevant. We will be longing for the days of being in the Mountain West where at least we had a shot at a meaningful bowl game, Top 25 appearances, a chance to play a big non conference game at home, and a couple road games against big teams each year.

If we are lucky a school like Oklahoma will invite us to go up there to play a buy game for $500k or so and kick our ass to warm up for their upcoming super conference schedule, assuming the super conference even is allowed to schedule non super conference opponents

LVH

This conspiracy framing is tired. ESPN, FOX, etc. have inventories to fill and ads/streaming subscriptions to sell. They want the best content at the lowest price. That’s it. It’s not personal. Shedding some overpriced deadweight is good for their bottom line. So is creating intriguing matchups and balanced programming from 12pm-12am ET and 9am-12am PT on Saturdays, plus prime time on Thursdays and Fridays. Consolidation may work to our advantage honestly if it brings more bidders to the table.
There is inventory to fill but if you look at it there aren't that many time slots. On Saturday you basically have 3 main time slots - 11am, 2:30pm, and 6:00pm. 4 if you want to add the late West Coast 9:00pm slot.

If ABC, ESPN, FOX and FS1 all fill those slots, that's 12 to 16 games, which should cover most of the super conference teams. That means the non super conference teams at best will be banished to ESPN2, ESPNU, and 2nd tier networks on Saturdays, or be asked to play midweek non Saturday games.

I'd be shocked if we ever play a game on one of the Big 4 networks (ABC, ESPN, FOX, FS1) on Saturday ever again after 2024.

TCUdirtbag

There is inventory to fill but if you look at it there aren't that many time slots. On Saturday you basically have 3 main time slots - 11am, 2:30pm, and 6:00pm. 4 if you want to add the late West Coast 9:00pm slot.

If ABC, ESPN, FOX and FS1 all fill those slots, that's 12 to 16 games, which should cover most of the super conference teams. That means the non super conference teams at best will be banished to ESPN2, ESPNU, and 2nd tier networks on Saturdays, or be asked to play midweek non Saturday games.

I'd be shocked if we ever play a game on one of the Big 4 networks (ABC, ESPN, FOX, FS1) on Saturday ever again after 2024.

You’re including FS1 but not NBC or CBS?

Dogfrog

I’m ok with a super conference that leaves to compete with the NFL for audience. It won’t be college football, it will be openly semi-pro players paid to wear college jersies. If it happens the rest of the schools should turn away from NIL, go back to the student athlete format, play regionally and see what happens. I believe the fans are there to be ok.

Opintel

Moderators
In this world of Super Conferences/Groups:

The new mid-majors...how many will likely be killed by their outstanding debt?

Who is on the short list of not being financially hampered? Who are state supported, and will still be hampered?