• The KillerFrogs

USC and UCLA to the Big 10?

Wexahu

Kenny Hill, John Diarse, Chandler Morris, JD Spielman

Potentially Marcel Brooks, Shadrach Banks, Q Spivey, Corey Wren
Good call on Hill and Diarse. I'd say the jury is still out on Morris (although looks promising). Spielman.....meh. He's caught 13 passes in two years.

Potentially......kind of my point. Marcel Brooks? He's like the poster child for what I'm talking about. I'd say Banogu and Doctson were better than all of them by a good margin.

Dman890

Good call on Hill and Diarse. I'd say the jury is still out on Morris (although looks promising). Spielman.....meh. He's caught 13 passes in two years.

Potentially......kind of my point. Marcel Brooks? He's like the poster child for what I'm talking about. I'd say Banogu and Doctson were better than all of them by a good margin.
Those are all pre-NIL examples

cheese83

Brooks could get revived this year, some kids just take longer to develop too. There's always going to be players who don't make that "jump" until their JR or even SR year. The free transfer rule helps out smaller schools more IMO, the big programs can't just load talent and expect them to sit and be happy without really playing until the guys ahead of them move on. Why do you think Saban has been complaining about it? He's been building a program based on lack of mobility and an endless supply of talent waiting in the wings. Now he's losing all the power over his players.

Palliative Care

Good point about Saban. He is in a early Paterson mode of eventual meltdown. It happens to a lot of successful coaches. Times change but they do not or not enough.

Wexahu

Brooks could get revived this year, some kids just take longer to develop too. There's always going to be players who don't make that "jump" until their JR or even SR year. The free transfer rule helps out smaller schools more IMO, the big programs can't just load talent and expect them to sit and be happy without really playing until the guys ahead of them move on. Why do you think Saban has been complaining about it? He's been building a program based on lack of mobility and an endless supply of talent waiting in the wings. Now he's losing all the power over his players.
We'll just have to wait and see how competitive the small schools are in the coming years. I'm not so much talking about TCU as much as I'm talking schools a rung below us, but I don't think it'll be a net benefit to us either.

Marcel Brooks is going to be a senior and has hardly played at all in his two seasons here. And he was a 5-star recruit. He takes "not taking a jump" to a whole new level. If he ends up being a really good player here, wow, what an indictment of the previous staff. But he clearly has not worked out so far, he can't even decide what position he wants to play.

Brog

I think Cracks and Splinters are the names of the older couple who live down the street from me. They're much older than 30.
Hey, is that you? I see you wearing a purple cap every once in a while, and I guess you notice the horned frog I have in my front yard.

Wexahu

One other thing, I honestly think you'll see situations (maybe more than we realize) where kids have a breakout first half of a season at smaller schools, start getting a bunch of interest from the big boys, and then just sit out the rest of the year and let bidding wars ensue.

a la Zack Evans

cheese83

We'll just have to wait and see how competitive the small schools are in the coming years. I'm not so much talking about TCU as much as I'm talking schools a rung below us, but I don't think it'll be a net benefit to us either.

Marcel Brooks is going to be a senior and has hardly played at all in his two seasons here. And he was a 5-star recruit. He takes "not taking a jump" to a whole new level. If he ends up being a really good player here, wow, what an indictment of the previous staff. But he clearly has not worked out so far, he can't even decide what position he wants to play.
I thought there were reports of him doing pretty well at LB in the new system? I think we will see a number of guys on D thrive or get more PT than under the old crew b/c of the way they operated. Gary seemed to play favorites and at times it almost seemed to be a detriment to our D.

McFroggin

He took a huge jump at LSU. The transfer here really slowed his progress with moving to WR and not fitting out LB needs. He didn’t make a good decision for himself when he chose our defensive scheme under Patterson. I’m hoping that the new scheme will unlock that potential seen at LSU.

Wexahu

He took a huge jump at LSU. The transfer here really slowed his progress with moving to WR and not fitting out LB needs. He didn’t make a good decision for himself when he chose our defensive scheme under Patterson. I’m hoping that the new scheme will unlock that potential seen at LSU.
I know I'm probably past beating a dead horse here but he played in 6 games and had 2 solo tackles and assisted on 6 other tackles at LSU. For a 5-star recruit, that's pretty underwhelming, even for just a freshman.

More than likely he didn't impress at LSU like they had hoped, maybe was a bit of a pain in the ass to deal with, and they didn't make a huge effort to keep him around figuring they could pretty easily replace him. So they let him go and we were more than happy to take him on. The rest is history. He comes here, very oddly almost completely disappears while rumored to be off the team on at least one occasion.

Again, I think these rule changes benefit the big boys more than they do us. And for sure more than they do the smaller schools.

I know I'm probably past beating a dead horse here but he played in 6 games and had 2 solo tackles and assisted on 6 other tackles at LSU. For a 5-star recruit, that's pretty underwhelming, even for just a freshman.

More than likely he didn't impress at LSU like they had hoped, maybe was a bit of a pain in the ass to deal with, and they didn't make a huge effort to keep him around figuring they could pretty easily replace him. So they let him go and we were more than happy to take him on. The rest is history. He comes here, very oddly almost completely disappears while rumored to be off the team on at least one occasion.

Again, I think these rule changes benefit the big boys more than they do us. And for sure more than they do the smaller schools.
I hear you and we’ll see but I saw more out of him in the spring game than pretty much the last two years combined. If he ever turns into a player that somewhat equals how much he gets discussed on TCU forums, he’ll be pretty damned good.

Paul in uhh

I thought there were reports of him doing pretty well at LB in the new system? I think we will see a number of guys on D thrive or get more PT than under the old crew b/c of the way they operated. Gary seemed to play favorites and at times it almost seemed to be a detriment to our D.
JC on 247 said several times that Marcel had a great spring because Gillespie’s system allows him to do what he does best - thinks less and go get the ball carrier/qb

LSU Game Attendee

Diarse was a badarse- almost got frogs a bowl w over UGA. Honorable Mention: “Doo-doo” transfer from U of Florida.

Virginia Frog

The team building/development aspect of the game is more or less gone, and for fans like me that was one of the most compelling things about the sport. Now it's a year to year thing where every team is just trying to buy a roster. Get rid of the free transfer rules and A LOT changes. I'm not holding out any hope.
The constantly changing of team members on NFL teams has made it "roster Babel."

For the teams I follow, it's hard to know unless you really pay attention "who's on first" so-to-speak.

It's very non-optimal for the fan.