• The KillerFrogs

USC and UCLA to the Big 10?

Paul in uhh

Miami is way more supported by local people in south Florida than tcu is in Fort Worth. It is not even close. Additionally, Miami has national/regional draw based on historic performance and their 20 years of elite level football.

This obviously coming from a die hard tcu fan
You might be right but it feels like every Miami game I’ve watched (that isn’t vs UF/FSU/Clemson) is a ghost town - like SMU on Friday night bad

froggy

Miami is way more supported by local people in south Florida than tcu is in Fort Worth. It is not even close. Additionally, Miami has national/regional draw based on historic performance and their 20 years of elite level football.

I looked up average attendance , only a few thousand difference

ticketfrog123

You might be right but it feels like every Miami game I’ve watched (that isn’t vs UF/FSU/Clemson) is a ghost town - like SMU on Friday night bad
It is. Stadium is off campus and pain. I don’t think they’re a fit for the SEC.

FSU/Clemson I can see. Miami’s following is nowhere near UF or FSU in Florida.

CountryFrog

As someone who has lived in both South Florida and Fort Worth I can say this is absolutely NOT true. I will grant you that Miami gets a little bit more local media attention on TV and talk radio, but it's still mostly Dolphins and the Heat with a little attention to the Marlins if they're good.

But as far as actual fan support there's basically no difference between the two. If anything I'd say that TCU fans actually show up a little stronger when the team is down where Miami fans don't show up at all when they're down. The off campus pro stadium hurts a lot. Both fan bases are great when the teams are really good with a slight edge going to Miami just because it's a bigger stadium. Both teams have a lot of road fans in the stands at most games.

ticketfrog123

General media predictions are as follows:

SEC adds FSU / Clemson. Maybe UVA or VT + UNC.

Big Ten tries to add UVA/VT + UNC/Duke.

Everybody else tries to get a spot in Big 12 which will expand to 20. Result is 3 conferences with 60 teams.

Wake forest and Boston college are screwed for sure. Syracuse too probably. NCST is toss up.

Nobody wants Wazzu or oregon state from P12. Cal administration hates sports and football so they probably drop to MWC or non FBS.

asleep003

What does Miami bring to the SEC that TCU doesn’t?
So no, I don’t see Miami as a foregone conclusion.
You're probably right dirtbag, SEC wouldn't want that football history/9th metro MKT/footprint/high attendance, ranking 22nd in 2018, while falling out of the top 25, with USC, as their performances dipped.

TCUdirtbag

You're probably right dirtbag, SEC wouldn't want that football history/9th metro MKT/footprint/high attendance, ranking 22nd in 2018, while falling out of the top 25, with USC, as their performances dipped.

You kind of highlight my point in citing the size of the media market (Miami is 9th vs DFW’s 7th) and by citing attendance—which as noted by many here is not actually any good.

Again, not saying Miami isn’t a contender. Disputing your claim that they’re a sure thing in the SEC. That’s just a stretch IMO.

Froggish

Wherever we end up, I hope the conference has an actual dedicated tv network. Every time I stop on the Big 10 Network, I come away impressed with the content and production values of most of its offerings.
Isn’t that what’s killing the PAC right now? Their network is horrendous and when they turned down ESPNs offer to be a managing partner it essentially killed their future.

YA

You kind of highlight my point in citing the size of the media market (Miami is 9th vs DFW’s 7th) and by citing attendance—which as noted by many here is not actually any good.

Again, not saying Miami isn’t a contender. Disputing your claim that they’re a sure thing in the SEC. That’s just a stretch IMO.
DFW is #5

HG73

Big question: what will ND do? If they join the B1G what happens to the ACC?
Is there the slightest chance of them going to the ACC?
If they stay independent will that solidify the ACC?
Some quality teams would become available for the Big12 East. Some not so quality teams might get relegated.

By Dennis Dodd—
In the Big 12, it's up to Yormark to strategize whether his league stands pat with its 12-team lineup in 2025 or engages in -- what one industry source called -- a realignment stare down with the Pac-12....

"No. 1, we've got to stay together," one Pac-12 administrator said. "No. 2, we've got to find a path forward."

Same for Yormark and the Big 12. The new commissioner met with his athletic directors Friday via Zoom. The reviews were glowing.

Now, there needs to be a strategy for a realignment process that might be well underway before Yormark takes office in a month.

Last edited:

HG73

If Cal were available would you pick them if you were the Big 12?
ABSOLUTELY. Perfect conference member. 1. Big state flagship school. 2. #6 TV market. 3. Games in CA where the mountain teams (and us) recruit. 4. Almost a certain W with their left wing administration and faculty guaranteeing it in perpetuity. Add Stanford too. See 2, 3 and 4.
With one or two teams in CA the Big12 will be recruiting in TX, CA, FL, OHIO, AZ & COLO. And of course Louisiana for us. :)