USA Today: Pair of promising LBs emerge from top-ranked TCU defense

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nf...t-preview_N.htm

hughesx-topper-medium.jpg

washingtonx.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]Pair of promising LBs emerge from top-ranked TCU defense[/SIZE]

By Skip Wood, USA TODAY

USA TODAY continues its draft series by analyzing the linebackers available in the April 22-24 NFL draft. Also in this article: Cream of the crop among linebackers and teams in need.

Given that Texas Christian University's defense was No. 1 in the nation last season, it's little wonder that two of the unit's stalwarts are getting early-round attention from various NFL teams heading into this month's draft.

Linebackers Daryl Washington and Jerry Hughes could give the school representatives in the opening two rounds for the first time since 2001.

That's when running back LaDainian Tomlinson went in the first round and defensive end Aaron Schobel was selected in the second.

PHOTOS: Best LBs available in the draft
MOCK DRAFT: Our analysts project the first round
TOP 500 DATABASE: Rankings, bios, stats and more for best available

"We always pushed each other for the (sake of the) team," Washington says. "We knew our defense was special, and we wanted to make it even more special."

Yet the looming specter of NFL careers also played into the equation, however slightly.

"It was always in the back of your mind, I guess," Hughes said. "But we never put that ahead of team. Never. We both knew what might come down the road, but you had to play for the present, not the future."

To Washington, the journey to what now has become the future is somewhat improbable.

He gained All-America mention and registered a team-high 109 tackles in just his first season as a starter.

Washington had played well on special teams, having led the nation in punt blocks with three in 2007.

But he had to bide his time behind players such as: Jason Phillips, drafted in the fifth round last season by the Baltimore Ravens, and Robert Henson, a sixth-round pick by the Washington Redskins in 2009. And now, based largely on one stellar season, Washington probably will be picked much higher than either of them.

"It's just a matter of taking advantage of the opportunity when you get that chance," he says. "I knew I was playing behind some good players. Even though you want your time to shine, you just have to go out and prepare yourself and hope everything will work out. Also, I really enjoyed playing with those guys.

"… Sometimes you have to wait your turn, and by doing that, for me, it probably made me a better player overall."

And it worked out nicely both for Washington and the Horned Frogs, who were undefeated last season before losing to Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl.

At 6-2 and 230 pounds, he's not exactly an imposing physical specimen, but scouts hail his speed as something that could make up for his size.

"The thing Daryl has that the really good (linebackers) have in the NFL is speed," says Jim Bennett, Washington's high school coach. "He's a physical guy who can really run."

Washington's time in the 40-yard dash of 4.57 at last month's league scouting combine was best among all linebackers.

He had some company at the combine. Hughes was the Mountain West Conference player of the year and a member of several All-American teams the past two seasons. He played defensive end for TCU, yet widely is seen by NFL teams as an outside linebacker.

"Well, my take is that teams want to see how I fit in with different schemes as a linebacker," Hughes says. "For whatever reasons, a lot of people see me (with more potential) there, and that's fine with me."

Like Washington, Hughes also is fast, and scouts again believe that counters a modest 6-1, 252-pound frame. "I'm a pretty well-rounded athlete, well-rounded football player," he says. "If somebody wants to change my position to see how I fit in, I feel like I can make that adjustment just fine."

So does TCU linebackers coach Tony Tademy.

"I think he could play whatever position they want him to play, and he's going to play it well," Tademy says. "Linebacker, defensive end, it doesn't matter. He's just a great player."

CREAM OF THE CROP AMONG LINEBACKERS

Brandon Graham
School: Michigan
Height, weight: 6-2, 268
Scouting report: Senior Bowl MVP will likely move from defensive end, especially in a 3-4 setup that values a rush linebacker. Less-than-ideal size could hinder his positional transition.
Insiders take: "(As a sophomore) he showed flashes of his talent, but seemed a second behind the play. The past two seasons Graham has blossomed into a first round talent." —ESPN analyst Todd McShay
Projected round: First

Sergio Kindle
School: Texas
Height, weight: 6-3, 250
Scouting report: Has the versatility to slide in at defensive end.. Probably needs to add some weight if he's asked to contribute as a defensive end, but only if it doesn't affect his speed.
Insiders take: "He's a fantastic athlete coming forward. He's explosive and quick. I don't like him quite as much in space, but he's going to be a first-round pick coming off the edge." — NFL Network's Mike Mayock.

Sean Lee
School: Penn State
Height, weight: 6-2, 236
Scouting report: Despite knee injuries, good against the outside run and reads plays quickly. Not the best athlete but a player who almost always seems to find the ball.
Insider's take: "He doesn't have great speed but has that combination of anticipation, instinct and aggressiveness that is common among successful journeyman NFL linebackers." — Frank Cooney, Sports Xchange.
Projected round: First to second.

Rolando McClain
School: Alabama
Height, weight: 6-4, 254
Scouting report: Has a well-honed sense of when to make defensive adjustments at the line of scrimmage. Maintains outside position well on plays around the end. Good at blitz coverage and pressuring the quarterback.
Insiders take: "He's very passionate about the game of football. He sets the tone. He was the leader. He was the guy that gave you that Ray Lewis-type enthusiasm for the game." — Kiper.

Sean Weatherspoon
School: Missouri
Height, weight: 6-1, 239
Scouting report: Maintains his poise when dropping into blitz coverage. Needs to improve defending the inside run. Has good potential as a special-teams player.
Insiders take: "He has fun playing football (and) he's got a pretty loud, infectious personality. So I think that's where he's getting a lot of attention besides his playing ability." —Detroit Lions linebackers coach Matt Burke.
Projected round: First-to-second

TEAMS IN NEED AT LINEBACKER

Arizona Cardinals: Despite signing Joey Porter, the team still finds itself thin at the position — especially after Karlos Dansby signed with the Miami Dolphins. Drafted Cody Brown and Will Davis last year — but were hurt.

Denver Broncos: Andra Davis was released. Last season's second selection, linebacker Robert Ayers, is a hybrid player still adjusting to the outside in a 3-4.

Miami Dolphins: Basically traded Porter for Dansby. But Jason Taylor does not appear to be coming back, Channing Crowder was hurt last season, and Akin Ayodele was let go.

New England Patriots: Depth is needed, even with emerging playmaker Jerod Mayo. Tully Banta-Cain, the team's leader in sacks a year ago, returns. The Patriots have long-term concerns. Adalius Thomas has disappointed. Last season, their sixth overall pick was third-rounder Tyrone McKenzie, who tore his ACL.

New York Giants: They have Jonathan Goff and Gerris Wilkinson in the middle, but neither is up to standards, at least not yet. Clint Sintim, their second overall pick in 2009, is looking decent on the strong side.

Philadelphia Eagles: The anchor of the middle, Stewart Bradley, went down in training camp last season. They signed Will Witherspoon midway through the season, but he was jettisoned last month. The Eagles need to shore up the strong-side position.