• The KillerFrogs

UNLV at TCU Game 1

Spike

Their starter was pretty good. Once we chased him the floodgates opened. It looked like our 1 error was a killer but they had 3, all of which hurt them.

OmniscienceFrog

Somebody that was watching the game explain this to me please. I was following the game on Gametracker and it showed the same thing as was shown on the GoFrogs play-by-play recap below:

UNLV Rebels 9th - JORDAN to rf. WEIK to 1b. WRIGHT to 2b. VonTUNGELN to cf. SCHULTZ to 3b. SATHERLIE, D pinch hit for CLARK, Nolan. SATHERLIE, D singled to right center (2-1 BKB). KRETCHMER pinch hit for THOMAS, Cash. KRETCHMER singled through the right side (1-0 B); SATHERLIE, D advanced to second. SHUL, Craig pinch hit for JIMENEZ, R.. SHUL, Craig hit by pitch (1-1 S); KRETCHMER advanced to second; SATHERLIE, D advanced to third. BEATY, H. grounded into double play 2b to ss to 1b (1-0 B); SHUL, Craig out on the play. FRIERSON, J. grounded out to 2b (1-2 BKFF). 0 runs, 2 hits, 0 errors, 2 LOB.

According to this the first three UNLV batters in the top of the 9th reached base on a single, single and HBP. So, the bases were loaded. The next batter hit into a 4-6-3 double play, but the runner on third didn't score. That can't happen, so what really did happen?

Frog_Fan71

QUOTE(OmniscienceFrog @ Apr 23 2010, 11:39 PM) [snapback]549584[/snapback]
Somebody that was watching the game explain this to me please. I was following the game on Gametracker and it showed the same thing as was shown on the GoFrogs play-by-play recap below:

UNLV Rebels 9th - JORDAN to rf. WEIK to 1b. WRIGHT to 2b. VonTUNGELN to cf. SCHULTZ to 3b. SATHERLIE, D pinch hit for CLARK, Nolan. SATHERLIE, D singled to right center (2-1 BKB). KRETCHMER pinch hit for THOMAS, Cash. KRETCHMER singled through the right side (1-0 B); SATHERLIE, D advanced to second. SHUL, Craig pinch hit for JIMENEZ, R.. SHUL, Craig hit by pitch (1-1 S); KRETCHMER advanced to second; SATHERLIE, D advanced to third. BEATY, H. grounded into double play 2b to ss to 1b (1-0 B); SHUL, Craig out on the play. FRIERSON, J. grounded out to 2b (1-2 BKFF). 0 runs, 2 hits, 0 errors, 2 LOB.

According to this the first three UNLV batters in the top of the 9th reached base on a single, single and HBP. So, the bases were loaded. The next batter hit into a 4-6-3 double play, but the runner on third didn't score. That can't happen, so what really did happen?

:blink:

I'm either tired or the merlot has taken me, perhaps both... I agree OF, that is very puzzling.

Frogenstein

The base runner sliding into 2nd interfered with Featherston and was called out and the hitter was ruled out due to the interference. The runner who had scored was put back on 3rd and the runner that advanced to 3rd was put back on second. Hope that makes sense.

OmniscienceFrog

QUOTE(Frogenstein @ Apr 24 2010, 01:08 AM) [snapback]549593[/snapback]
The base runner sliding into 2nd interfered with Featherston and was called out and the hitter was ruled out due to the interference. The runner who had scored was put back on 3rd and the runner that advanced to 3rd was put back on second. Hope that makes sense.

Yes, it makes perfect sense, it just was not included in any of the play-by-play recaps, so I wondered exactly what had happened. Thank you for the explanation.

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(Frogenstein @ Apr 24 2010, 01:08 AM) [snapback]549593[/snapback]

Perhaps the dumbest rule in sports IMO. So if the runner doesn't interfere at 2B, the SS will step on second and fire home for the the out??? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that play has NEVER happened in MLB history. No reason to send the runners back in that situation.