• The KillerFrogs

uil realignment notes

Eight

coaching friend after church this morning told me the uil did their bi-annual realignment last week and as always there a few districts that raised eyebrows for either the absurd travel or the level of competition

think the best new district for long haul drivers is anthony in 2a who will have 5 district opponents between 350 to 420 miles away from them. how about those tuesday games for sports other than football?

for those who have been waiting for stephenville to be punished for hiring art briles they are now in the same district as china spring and waco lavega

for our deep east texas frogs a new district that could be pretty damn salty is carthage, pleasant grove, van, and gilmer

for our austin frogs we will find out if dripping springs gimmick offense will work against lake travis and westlake

finally, for those ld bell fans who have been praying for the day that aledo pays for their recruiting sins someone might have heard you because aledo will be in the same district with denton ryan so that district win streak might be in jeopardy

Last edited:

FrogPreacher

North Mesquite High School grad here (many years ago) District change and now will no longer be in the same district as Mesquite High School! Has been a rivalry game since NMHS opened! Seems that NM is just under the level for 6A and now will be a 5A school. Just so wrong to not be in the same district as MHS!

Eight

North Mesquite High School grad here (many years ago) District change and now will no longer be in the same district as Mesquite High School! Has been a rivalry game since NMHS opened! Seems that NM is just under the level for 6A and now will be a 5A school. Just so wrong to not be in the same district as MHS!

wow, so north mesquite is below the 2,200 kids, did the population shift? what is the new district?

Eight

Some of these alignment shifts always raise eyebrows for their insanity.

have always wanted to ask how they come up with the groupings.

consider this 5a district in the houston area.

angleton,
ft. bend kempner
lamar consolidated
rosenburg terry
richmond foster
manvel
friendswood

then
magnolia
magnolia west

not only do we get a 9-team district which makes scheduling a freaking pain in the arse, but magnolia and magnolia west in that district?

they really need to do away with splitting the classifications into big and small schools during the regular seasons.

Pharm Frog

have always wanted to ask how they come up with the groupings.

consider this 5a district in the houston area.

angleton,
ft. bend kempner
lamar consolidated
rosenburg terry
richmond foster
manvel
friendswood

then
magnolia
magnolia west

not only do we get a 9-team district which makes scheduling a freaking pain in the arse, but magnolia and magnolia west in that district?

they really need to do away with splitting the classifications into big and small schools during the regular seasons.
That’s nearly as dumb as when I was in high school and we had a 16 team district broken into 2 8-team zones from A&M Consolidated and Brenham to West Orange Stark and Vidor.

FWIW-We also had Magnolia HS in that district and it was everyone’s favorite whipping boy. Perpetual homecoming game. If memory serves MHS had just brought back their football team.

Prime BEEF

Saw where Granbury is in the same district with Wichita Falls rider in basketball and in the same district as Killeen in football. Just dumb.

Eight

That’s nearly as dumb as when I was in high school and we had a 16 team district broken into 2 8-team zones from A&M Consolidated and Brenham to West Orange Stark and Vidor.

FWIW-We also had Magnolia HS in that district and it was everyone’s favorite whipping boy. Perpetual homecoming game. If memory serves MHS had just brought back their football team.

some of the assignments just don't make sense.

you have a big country/ panhandle special with two abilene schools, wf rider, plainview, amarillo palu duro, and lubbock simply because there just aren't enough schools that size out there

but how do you explain a 10 school district in sa, and then in the very same region you get a smaller district with the two bastrops, lockhart, sa veterans memorial on the ne side, pieper which is the high school near bulverde, and the kerrville tivy.

that drive between tivy and the bastrops having to cross the i35 corridor with very few good west-east options isn't going to suck too much.

Pharm Frog

sounds like the same path taken by the wagon train on 1883
I actually think they were closer to Vernon but 6 one half-a-dozen the other. FWIW - ate at Farinas on Friday evening while most were smart enough to stay at home. Pretty cool to have immediately recognized the restaurant from episode 1.

Pharm Frog

Saw where Granbury is in the same district with Wichita Falls rider in basketball and in the same district as Killeen in football. Just dumb.
I think that’s happened before. No matter…Granbury is no threat in football or boys basketball no matter what district or classification you put them.

Eight

I actually think they were closer to Vernon but 6 one half-a-dozen the other. FWIW - ate at Farinas on Friday evening while most were smart enough to stay at home. Pretty cool to have immediately recognized the restaurant from episode 1.

my reference was more to the zig-zagging back and forth on the show

not as if in the 1880's there had been any established cattle trails to follow by then, the rail to california wasn't a viable options for the germans to take the west coast, and quanah parker had already been dealt with and most indians in texas were on reservations so what is a little license for the show

y2kFrog

some of the assignments just don't make sense.

you have a big country/ panhandle special with two abilene schools, wf rider, plainview, amarillo palu duro, and lubbock simply because there just aren't enough schools that size out there

but how do you explain a 10 school district in sa, and then in the very same region you get a smaller district with the two bastrops, lockhart, sa veterans memorial on the ne side, pieper which is the high school near bulverde, and the kerrville tivy.

that drive between tivy and the bastrops having to cross the i35 corridor with very few good west-east options isn't going to suck too much.
The 10 team districts come from the large urban school districts. In SA, Northside ISD is going on 12 schools and even spills over into the North East district. The UIL loves to jam them all into one district to make things easier in other places.

Prime BEEF

I think that’s happened before. No matter…Granbury is no threat in football or boys basketball no matter what district or classification you put them.
Not in a very long time if ever for Wichita or Killeen in the same district. Certainly not in the last 30yrs.

Yes, Granbury rarely puts a good team out on the field or the court.

TheFDN

Same stupidity every 2 years. The worst of it this go round might be District 7 in 5A D1 with McKinney North. Threw them in with Longview, Lufkin, Tyler, Mesquite schools, and Lancaster lol. As they are driving to their district matchup in Lancaster, they will pass no less than 15-20 schools closer.
And to top it off, if McKinney North makes the playoffs their bi district game could be against a team from Port Arthur.

Pharm Frog

Not in a very long time if ever for Wichita or Killeen in the same district. Certainly not in the last 30yrs.

Yes, Granbury rarely puts a good team out on the field or the court.
They are currently in a basketball district with WF and Rider. They have been in a district with Abilene Cooper for football for the last couple of years. I thought they had gone further south for football but I think they just play Waco University a lot out of district.

Prime BEEF

They are currently in a basketball district with WF and Rider. They have been in a district with Abilene Cooper for football for the last couple of years. I thought they had gone further south for football but I think they just play Waco University a lot out of district.
I stand corrected. Well I’m old timer I guess. WF school in Granbury’s district is crazy. will look to see when that started because it was definitely not the norm in the late 80’s, 90’s or early 2000s

EDIT: looked it up. WF rider didn’t join the district until the 20-21 season. Normal district partners were usually…Cleburne, Joshua, burleson, Crowley, stephenville, everman, Mansfield, Arlington heights. Sometimes would have mineral wells or graham or brownwood. Those were long bus rides to brownwood.

Last edited:

Frog92

Best…or funniest one, for me was seeing Colleyville Heritage and Grapevine with all those Fort Worth ISD schools in 5A! Guess we already know who the district champs will be in almost every sport for the next two years!!
Football only. The “other sports” district is really salty.