• The KillerFrogs

uil realignment notes

Paul in uhh

have always wanted to ask how they come up with the groupings.

consider this 5a district in the houston area.

angleton,
ft. bend kempner
lamar consolidated
rosenburg terry
richmond foster
manvel
friendswood

then
magnolia
magnolia west

not only do we get a 9-team district which makes scheduling a freaking pain in the arse, but magnolia and magnolia west in that district?

they really need to do away with splitting the classifications into big and small schools during the regular seasons.
Magnolia and friendswood couldn’t be further apart. It’s like putting aledo and Frisco in the same district.

Wexahu

Same stupidity every 2 years. The worst of it this go round might be District 7 in 5A D1 with McKinney North. Threw them in with Longview, Lufkin, Tyler, Mesquite schools, and Lancaster lol. As they are driving to their district matchup in Lancaster, they will pass no less than 15-20 schools closer.
And to top it off, if McKinney North makes the playoffs their bi district game could be against a team from Port Arthur.
Yes, McKinney North being with Lufkin might be the dumbest one I've seen. 211 miles apart.

Complete idiocy given how many other schools are between them.

Pharm Frog

Yes. Everman gets FWISD in all the “other sports”. It is also amazing how many of the Fort Worth schools are only 4A now.
Should see Houston ISD. I say that but I didn’t look to verify. I was just amazed a few years ago how some of these magnificent HISD schools that my parents taught at, attended, and I grew up around have just collapsed in attendance.

TCUdirtbag

coaching friend after church this morning told me the uil did their bi-annual realignment last week and as always there a few districts that raised eyebrows for either the absurd travel or the level of competition

think the best new district for long haul drivers is anthony in 2a who will have 5 district opponents between 350 to 420 miles away from them. how about those tuesday games for sports other than football?

for those who have been waiting for stephenville to be punished for hiring art briles they are now in the same district as china spring and waco lavega

for our deep east texas frogs a new district that could be pretty damn salty is carthage, pleasant grove, van, and gilmer

for our austin frogs we will find out if dripping springs gimmick offense will work against lake travis and westlake

finally, for those ld bell fans who have been praying for the day that aledo pays for their recruiting sins someone might have heard you because aledo will be in the same district with denton ryan so that district win streak might be in jeopardy

It’s gotten increasingly complex with different district assignments for different sports.

Full realignment info here:

They actually have maps that show each district’s geographic size/reach. 5A-D1 football has some doozies (frisco to lufkin, Amarillo to Abilene)

Frog92

It’s gotten increasingly complex with different district assignments for different sports.

Full realignment info here:

They actually have maps that show each district’s geographic size/reach. 5A-D1 football has some doozies (frisco to lufkin, Amarillo to Abilene)
It is so stupid dividing them like this. West Texas and Panhandle schools get completely f’d. I grew up in a 2A (now3A) school in West-ish Texas. Yeah we had weeknight basketball or baseball games 100 miles away. The 200+ mile stuff is beyond stupid. Form districts geographically best you can by division, then split them for playoffs if you must.

Pharm Frog

Granbury use to be a threat in girls basketball when Leta Andrews was there.
Thus the specific reference to boys basketball. Interestingly Granbury has been getting several new physicians because of the growth in the area. One of the new docs in town played for Andrews back in the time when she was coaching at Comanche.

y2kFrog

Should see Houston ISD. I say that but I didn’t look to verify. I was just amazed a few years ago how some of these magnificent HISD schools that my parents taught at, attended, and I grew up around have just collapsed in attendance.
Houston ISD has an entire 8 team 4A district that includes Yates. Dallas Carter is also only 4A now too.

Nick Danger

Everyone who can is leaving the inner cities and no reinvestment by builders is taking place to repair/build new housing is taking place....
Yes! Many "inner city" residents have decided to move to areas that have more heterogeneous demographics, where they can actually vote! I'm sure there are those that will find this accelerating trend "disturbing", but not because of any UIL re-alignment ramifications!

Last edited:

y2kFrog

Everyone who can is leaving the inner cities and no reinvestment by builders is taking place to repair/build new housing is taking place....
A number that got you 5A (now 6A) in the mid 80’s now barely gets you in low end 5A (old 4A). They have shrunk a little, but not as much as it sounds. Suburbs growth and expansion has gone crazy. This phenomenon is also what now causes even more crazy west Texas districts.

FrogBall09

A number that got you 5A (now 6A) in the mid 80’s now barely gets you in low end 5A (old 4A). They have shrunk a little, but not as much as it sounds. Suburbs growth and expansion has gone crazy. This phenomenon is also what now causes even more crazy west Texas districts.
This is a big part of it that gets overlooked - the "suburbs" can build schools that are massive and continue to absorb student growth from a larger footprint instead of creating a second school and splitting their student body up.

That is not possible in areas with older schools buildings that do not have a footprint to expand beyond the metal buildings in the practice field concept.

When you look at High Schools like Waxahachie, Eaton, etc - they are massive buildings that feel a mile long with room to grow if needed.

Imagine how much more competitive FWISD schools would be if we had 1 or 2 HS schools for every kid within 15 miles of downtown?

Eight

you have't visited houston inside the loop lately have you?

paying the mortgage right now simply off builder risk policies from some gc's buildoing 2-3 row houses on a way too small plot of land and charging 400-500k for the damn things

go down to see our daughter on the weekends and the trail by the bayou is packed, but those people either don't have kids, they are way too young for high school, or they are going to the private schools.

Frog Attack II

Best…or funniest one, for me was seeing Colleyville Heritage and Grapevine with all those Fort Worth ISD schools in 5A! Guess we already know who the district champs will be in almost every sport for the next two years!!
To me, this is one of the worst... had some friends several years ago that had to live through a similar district alignment with Colleyville and Grapevine. They said that after the 1st qtr / inning / etc of any sport, they were cheering for the opponent because they would just massacre them. Really wrong IMO.

Eight

You've never lived until you have ridden a yellow dog back in 1989 from San Angelo to Pecos in a mid week basketball game. Arrive back home around 230AM with classes the next AM.

that one 2a- district i mentioned the closest of five games was over 350 miles

Last edited: