• The KillerFrogs

Tuesday Trivia - Summer Doldrums

ShadowFrog

Moderators
What was the freakiest Weather you experienced on campus?
When, what, how bad, results.

One of my Falls there was huge rain after a game, Stadium drive was flooded. All us band nerds were going home after yet another sound defeat in the 70’s across Stadium drive thru knee deep rushing water. Bizarre.

ftwfrog

Tornado of 2000.

I was at a bar in the mid cities with my brother and the TVs come on with all of the “take cover” warnings. When you’re 20, unless your roof flies off, you don’t feel any need to take great caution. Later, I get back to campus to the damage (minor compared to downtown), scared friends, and about 15 messages from my parents who had been watching the national news 4 states away. Still amazed at what that tornado did to downtown.

zfrawg

Tornado of 2000.

I was at a bar in the mid cities with my brother and the TVs come on with all of the “take cover” warnings. When you’re 20, unless your roof flies off, you don’t feel any need to take great caution. Later, I get back to campus to the damage (minor compared to downtown), scared friends, and about 15 messages from my parents who had been watching the national news 4 states away. Still amazed at what that tornado did to downtown.

ditto to this event. I was playing basketball at the Rickel and the student in charge that evening closed everything down and told us to go home because of the warning rather than sending everyone to the basement. I strolled back to my dorm with a tornado a couple miles away.

can't remember the year but also had Frog Fountain freeze over either my freshman or sophomore year when a cold front blew through. that was a pretty cool setting for a snowball fight.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The crazy deep freeze of '83, when the temperature plunged so far that buried pipes froze and burst around Campus. We lived in the fabulous old Westcliffe Manor, and it was without A/C for most of the Spring as they dug up and replaced the plumbing. The cold went as far south as the Rio Grande Valley, where oranges froze solid on the trees and the majestic old palms lining the roads all died.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
It seems like every year in the early 70s we would get floods and hail just as finals ended.

Driving up the hill on Bellaire from Hulen, a guess where Lupton is now, allegedly a funnel cloud passed overhead and started to feel the car begin to fishtail even though we were stopped. Very strange feeling.

A friend from Ohio always took the opportunity to laugh at our “snow storms”, put the top down on his car and drive around like it was warm out and do donuts in the stadium parking lot. He also taught us “skeeching”, where you sneak up behind a car at a light, grab the bumper (look it up kids) and get pulled on the snow. I recall someone forgot to let go and was skeeching down Bellaire too afraid to let go...

Purp

Tornado of 2000.

This is my vote too. I was driving back from Houston during that storm. My mom had just had a surgery at MDA that weekend. I was on I-20 in Arlington heading toward FW around Collins when an 18-wheeler was picked up from the left lane and dropped on its wheels on the other side of the median. I was travelling about 20 mph b/c it was raining so hard. Parked under the bridge at Collins for a while until the pee in my underwear dried. Unreal.

A fraternity brother was downtown at the time getting some photos developed for one of his projects. His story of that tornado is nuts.

ditto to this event. I was playing basketball at the Rickel and the student in charge that evening closed everything down and told us to go home because of the warning rather than sending everyone to the basement. I strolled back to my dorm with a tornado a couple miles away.

can't remember the year but also had Frog Fountain freeze over either my freshman or sophomore year when a cold front blew through. that was a pretty cool setting for a snowball fight.
That Frog Fountain freeze was fabulous. I remember someone getting thrown into the fountain the night before it froze while the water was near freezing. I remember who it was, but can't remember the reason. Might have been that he got engaged. He was a friend of a friend so I was only there by chance.

Ice week Apocalypse Freshman Year 2010/11

Had almost an entire half inch of ice on the roads. Class cancelled all week. INSANITY!

Pretty sure that was in February 2010. I got married that week where we got about 2 feet of snow in two days. We had a great turnout in spite of the weather, but quite a few RSVPs were unable to make it due to airport delays and power lines down in driveways. One of my ushers missed the pre-wedding pictures and showed up about 15 minutes prior to start. He was flying in from San Diego and had two flights cancelled and the one he finally made it on was forced to stop in two separate places first due to delays at DFW.

jake102

Ice week Apocalypse Freshman Year 2010/11

Had almost an entire half inch of ice on the roads. Class cancelled all week. INSANITY!

Yep. Didn't get above freezing for 5-6 days.... half inch of ice on the roads, snow on top. Greatness. Lived across the street from whatever Los Vaqueros used to be.... where Marcus Cannon was the bouncer/ID "checker"

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Oh, and then there was the lightning strike inside ACS while we played Rice, I think.

Coach Tohill had lost a leg in a car accident and had metal prosthetic leg. He was the first one off the field. It actually blew some cement off the low wall in the SE corner end zone where it hit the railing. You know you are close when you see the flash and hear the thunder at the same time...

Purp

It was 2011. Same time as the Super Bowl at Jerry World (Steelers v Packers)
I was deployed during winter 2010/11 so I don't have any memory of crazy weather that year. I'm positive about the week long hysteria in February 2010, though. The first bit of normalcy after the weather seemed to return when we went to the NBA All Star Game at Jerry World on Vday that year. The 5-6 days prior to that were nuts.

SwissArmyFrog

Early 80's ice storm.

In the middle of the night, someone aimed a 2nd floor shower in Tom Brown out the window. By morning, there was a frozen water stream from the window to the ground.

BankerFrog

Yep. Didn't get above freezing for 5-6 days.... half inch of ice on the roads, snow on top. Greatness. Lived across the street from whatever Los Vaqueros used to be.... where Marcus Cannon was the bouncer/ID "checker"
Dude! Old Rips! I think I spent the entire week there drinking mimosas

Frogo

Snowstorm the night before the first day of registration (back when it was done manually at Daniel-Meyer) for second semester (January 1973). Registration was postponed a week. Those of us who'd made it back to campus had a great time partying that week.

BABYFACE

Tornado of 2000.

I was at Blue Mesa on University drinking margs when that tornado hit.

Double V

I recall a decent ice storm in 2003/2004 and some SERIOUS rain in 2004 that flooded Stadium. Only remember that because some friends had helped one of our girl friends push her car outta the high water. Then they all came to my house to drink. She was wearing a plain white t-shirt soaked with rain...it was a great night.

Paint It Purple

Oh, and then there was the lightning strike inside ACS while we played Rice, I think.

Coach Tohill had lost a leg in a car accident and had metal prosthetic leg. He was the first one off the field. It actually blew some cement off the low wall in the SE corner end zone where it hit the railing. You know you are close when you see the flash and hear the thunder at the same time...
I can vouch for this one. I was standing right next to Billy when he motioned at the Rice coach to head to the lockers rooms, and off he went. If anyone beat him, I didn’t see them. Billy had already seen the face of God (or the devil) once that year, and wasn’t ready to do it again I guess.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I can vouch for this one. I was standing right next to Billy when he motioned at the Rice coach to head to the lockers rooms, and off he went. If anyone beat him, I didn’t see them. Billy had already seen the face of God (or the devil) once that year, and wasn’t ready to do it again I guess.

That was a horrific accident. Still can’t figure out how he went airborne and hit an overpass from below. He must’ve been moving that night.