• The KillerFrogs

Tuesday Starter???

Moose Stuff

Haven't read every post in this thread, but apparently Schloss has said that the Minnesota series will be one of the tougher one's we'll have this season, surprisingly. Their Friday night starter is supposed to be one of the best in the nation.

Feel free to grill me if I got some bad intel from one of my drunkish friends over the weekend, but that's what I was told.
Friday starter is a likely 1st rounder that runs his fastball into triple digits at times. They have a very solid team.

TCURiggs

So are you and your drunkish friends still hounding the bullpen or have you succumbed to the dad thing?

Both. We knocked the heckle-rust off in the cold on Friday night, then again on Saturday, but had a great day out there with the fam on Sunday.

And for the record, I didn't go out there on Friday until after we got the kids to bed, then I brought my boy out there on Saturday while my daughter was at a girl scout camp out and I told Mama to go have some "me time." I balance things well these days.

flyfishingfrog

How exactly is traveling to Minnesota “stressing” our team? Odd take.
The team isn’t scheduled to arrive back until late Monday night and midterms start later that week - just unnecessary for a literally meaningless series against a team we could have played in April instead of Stetson since Orlando will be 70 next week and 90 in April

TCURiggs

Given the percentage of our team that graduates in 4 yrs or less and also the number with a partial academic scholarship - I can assure you a large part of our team came here to play school, especially the ones that came as freshman

Lighten up

maxresdefault.jpg

frogtex

playing them Sat, Sun and Mon because they are in Florida playing someone else Friday and then traveling to Minneapolis to play in a dome not built for baseball because they have 6 ft of snow outside when there are a hundred schools we could be playing this weekend in a normal series, outdoors and not stressing our team the second week of the season seems a bit much to play a B10 team in baseball.

And if we really wanted to play them - I am pretty sure we still have the middle of conference bye week that is after the snow melts in the frozen tundra.

CJS addressed this in the Diamond Club meeting....we owe a return trip to Minnesota after they came here in 2018...his goal was to play them if each school's bye week matched up but they did not so the only other option was to play indoors which is no different than when they went up there for a tournament in 2008....he also mentioned the potential positive RPI impact as Minn. is picked to finish 2nd behind Michigan in most preseason polls....the way the RPI works, even if you only win one game, TCU would get 1.3 RPI points as the visiting team while the home team winning two games would get 1.4....I'm assuming we are playing Stetson because that was the best team available during one of our bye weeks....those bye weeks must be brutal to schedule.

Moose Stuff

The team isn’t scheduled to arrive back until late Monday night and midterms start later that week - just unnecessary for a literally meaningless series against a team we could have played in April instead of Stetson since Orlando will be 70 next week and 90 in April

Well we couldn’t have played them in April because they have conference series every weekend that month. And if you truly think the series is “literally meaningless” then you understand literally nothing about college baseball.

CountryFrog

Well we couldn’t have played them in April because they have conference series every weekend that month. And if you truly think the series is “literally meaningless” then you understand literally nothing about college baseball.
You mean the Big 10 doesn't create their conference schedule with the needs of TCU at the forefront of their thoughts?

Seriously though, it's baseball. I think all these guys are pretty accustomed to having a hectic schedule during the Spring semester. It's what they signed up for. They're young. They can handle it.

Moose Stuff

You mean the Big 10 doesn't create their conference schedule with the needs of TCU at the forefront of their thoughts?

Seriously though, it's baseball. I think all these guys are pretty accustomed to having a hectic schedule during the Spring semester. It's what they signed up for. They're young. They can handle it.

I was planning on attending the games this weekend until this thread opened my eyes to the stress of a 3 hour direct flight, staying in a nice hotel, and watching baseball indoors..... I’m just curled up in a fetal position in my bed now.

Pharm Frog

I thought the Smith start was an important indicator of what we can hope for from this team this year. This start has equal value IMO.

Given that we have about 25% of our staff eating poorly, not getting sufficient sleep, shunning conditioning and/or getting injured in apparently creative ways, I’m beginning to think that every appearance by every pitcher is exceptionally important. Just kidding....or am I? Even I’m not sure anymore.