• The KillerFrogs

TSHF: Mike Renfro going into Texas Sports Hall of Fame

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

WACO, TEXAS- The Board of Directors of the Texas Sports Hall of Fame are pleased to announce the Class of 2022 which will be inducted into the Texas Sports Hall of Fame on March 12, 2022. The Class was selected by ballot through a statewide selection committee; votes were tabulated by Simply Voting.

Presented by Texas Farm Bureau, The 61st Annual Induction Banquet will be held in the BASE at the Extraco Event Center in Waco, Texas, on March 12, 2022. For more information, purchase tickets or sponsorship opportunities, please visit www.tshof.org/induction-banquet or call Krista Martin at 254-756-1633. COVID-19 guidelines will be followed as dictated by the State of Texas and the City of Waco.

The newly elected inductees for the Class of 2022 are as follows: Bob Beamon, Chris Bosh, Manu Ginóbili, Robert Griffin III, Tony Parker, Carly Patterson Caldwell, Mike Renfro, Suzie Snider Eppers and Michael Strahan.

mike-renfro-fwisd.jpg

MIKE RENFRO

FOOTBALL​

Renfro has represented nearly every Texas football team there is. The wide receiver played at Arlington Heights High School before playing collegiately at Texas Christian University, and then professionally for the Houston Oilers and Dallas Cowboys. Renfro was a standout at TCU, being named All-SWC three times and a second-team All-American. Renfro finished his collegiate career with the third-most receiving yards in SWC history with 2,739 and left TCU with the most receiving touchdowns, yards, and receptions in program history. Renfro played 10 years in the NFL and was named the Dallas Cowboys’ most valuable player in 1985. He retired with 323 career receptions for 4,708 yards and 28 touchdowns.

Read the release at https://www.tshof.org/news/tshof-announces-class-of-2022

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU memories of Renfro:

Getting raped in the end zone but no flags in games against Baylor (coldest game I have ever sat through) and Texas Tech (which was ranked top 10) to prevent wins.

Against Miami at home, a few thousand of us -- mostly everyone under the upper deck overhang -- on a very rainy and stormy day. Me and Shreve though watched from the lower north end zone rail getting drenched. Lou Saban was the Canes coach and their running back was Otis "OJ" Anderson. Renfro made at least a couple of sliding catches across the astroturf spraying water like a speedboat.

Last edited:

grt

We could have had an all Texas super bowl if the coaches were able to challenge calls back then. Renfro caught the game winning touchdown in the back of the endzone against the Steelers but the ref ruled him out. He was clearly in.

Virginia Frog

TCU memories of Renfro:

Against Miami at home, a few thousand of us -- mostly everyone under the upper deck overhang -- on a very rainy and stormy day. Me and Shreve though watched from the lower north end zone rail getting drenched. Lou Saban was the Canes coach and their running back was Otis "OJ" Anderson. Renfro made at least a couple of sliding catches across the astroturf spraying water like a speedboat.
1977. if I recall, this was a big W. Two in a row. Things were looking up under FA Dry! I vividly remember the "almost" W vs. Oregon earlier that season. (I was there in the upper deck too!)
Well deserved! He was our hero when I was in school.
Mike was the REASON to attend Frog Football in the mid-'70s. Nice fellow to talk to as well. I remember having a great chat with him at the"Speakeasy" nightclub which was somewhere off of Camp Bowie Blvd.

Virginia Frog

Previous: Mike was the REASON to attend Frog Football in the mid-'70s. Nice fellow to talk to as well. I remember having a great chat with him at the"Speakeasy" nightclub which was somewhere off of Camp Bowie Blvd.

In looking back at whatever I could find about the '77 season I remember the OTHER REASON to watch Frog fb was DE Marshall Harris a big bad fella on the field but a pretty kool guy off. (We did "kinda share" a girlfriend for a couple of weeks in '76 - I laugh now.)

Dogfrog

TCU memories of Renfro:

Getting raped in the end zone but no flags in games against Baylor (coldest game I have ever sat through) and Texas Tech (which was ranked top 10) to prevent wins.

Wasn’t one of those end zone calls a pass interference against Renfro on a touchdown he caught against Aggies? It was at the end of the game and the touchdown would have given us a chance at a tie in regulation with a two pt conversion if I recall correctly.

HG73

WACO, TEXAS- The Board of Directors of the Texas Sports Hall of Fame are pleased to announce the Class of 2022 which will be inducted into the Texas Sports Hall of Fame on March 12, 2022. The Class was selected by ballot through a statewide selection committee; votes were tabulated by Simply Voting.

Presented by Texas Farm Bureau, The 61st Annual Induction Banquet will be held in the BASE at the Extraco Event Center in Waco, Texas, on March 12, 2022. For more information, purchase tickets or sponsorship opportunities, please visit www.tshof.org/induction-banquet or call Krista Martin at 254-756-1633. COVID-19 guidelines will be followed as dictated by the State of Texas and the City of Waco.

The newly elected inductees for the Class of 2022 are as follows: Bob Beamon, Chris Bosh, Manu Ginóbili, Robert Griffin III, Tony Parker, Carly Patterson Caldwell, Mike Renfro, Suzie Snider Eppers and Michael Strahan.

mike-renfro-fwisd.jpg

MIKE RENFRO

FOOTBALL​

Renfro has represented nearly every Texas football team there is. The wide receiver played at Arlington Heights High School before playing collegiately at Texas Christian University, and then professionally for the Houston Oilers and Dallas Cowboys. Renfro was a standout at TCU, being named All-SWC three times and a second-team All-American. Renfro finished his collegiate career with the third-most receiving yards in SWC history with 2,739 and left TCU with the most receiving touchdowns, yards, and receptions in program history. Renfro played 10 years in the NFL and was named the Dallas Cowboys’ most valuable player in 1985. He retired with 323 career receptions for 4,708 yards and 28 touchdowns.

Read the release at https://www.tshof.org/news/tshof-announces-class-of-2022
Robert Griffin III? Vomit.

tjcoffice

I saw Renfro catch a long pass with Pat Rocket, an All-American at A&M, hanging on him. The ref called pass interference, of course. Renfro got up and shook the ball in Rocket's face, saying something to him. Rocket prevented a sure touchdown. But, Renfro would not be denied.

Rabidfrog

TCU memories of Renfro:

yeah, one of the most, if not the most, improbable wins in TCU history. They weren't the U of old, but I think they had tied ND the week before. U R right about being jobbed v. TT. Don't remember the BU game. Against A&M they took away a TD pass. Said he had pushed off. He said that he had been doing it all game, but they called it in the end zone. I was afraid Anderson would run the last kick off back for a TD.

Rabidfrog

Wasn’t one of those end zone calls a pass interference against Renfro on a touchdown he caught against Aggies? It was at the end of the game and the touchdown would have given us a chance at a tie in regulation with a two pt conversion if I recall correctly.
yes,

1977. if I recall, this was a big W. Two in a row. Things were looking up under FA Dry! I vividly remember the "almost" W vs. Oregon earlier that season. (I was there in the upper deck too!)

Mike was the REASON to attend Frog Football in the mid-'70s. Nice fellow to talk to as well. I remember having a great chat with him at the"Speakeasy" nightclub which was somewhere off of Camp Bowie Blvd.
After TCU beat Miami in that rain in 1977, the Miami Chancellor basically said if we cannot be TCU, we are dropping football and I think he said that before he left Amon Carter on the record. The alumni get him back to Miami and convince him to hire 1 more football coach: Schnellenberger.