• The KillerFrogs

Travin Howard

asleep003

I meant that he had no success in the post season and certainly was well paid. He did have plenty of pieces in the first years. I disagree with that one. As much as I like Andy and have much respect for him, he is not or was not an elite QB. The Bengals now have their elite QB. Burrow.
When Andy was drafted... Carson Palmer refused to play with Cincy because of the OL/taking way too many hits including injuries. Andy shows up and most people figured a max of 4 wins for the Bengals and that Andy wouldn't finish the season... well, he took them to the playoffs as a rookie.

LisaLT

When Andy was drafted... Carson Palmer refused to play with Cincy because of the OL/taking way too many hits including injuries. Andy shows up and most people figured a max of 4 wins for the Bengals and that Andy wouldn't finish the season... well, he took them to the playoffs as a rookie.
And Burrow now has them in the AFC championship game. No comparison.

WhatTheFrog

I think you’re missing the point. If you don’t see that Burrow is an upgrade at the QB position, you haven’t watched him play much.
I'm not arguing that Dalton is better than Burrow, just that using the AFC Championship game as the measuring stick is flawed. Grossman made it to the Superbowl. Luckily for him, football is a team game. Maybe Dalton could get to the AFC Championship game if he had the team that Burrow has.

bmoney214

OUCH!!!
I'm not arguing that Dalton is better than Burrow, just that using the AFC Championship game as the measuring stick is flawed. Grossman made it to the Superbowl. Luckily for him, football is a team game. Maybe Dalton could get to the AFC Championship game if he had the team that Burrow has.
Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl but it was because of that awesome Ravens defense, not because of anything Dilfer did.

LisaLT

He did have a good team when he was drafted. I disagree on that one. And Burrow is doing what he is doing after coming back from a really bad injury as well. The Bengals had a good year overall. I think Burrow is a better overall QB than Dalton, based on what I've seen in college and so far in the pros (which is limited I admit). That is not a knock on Andy.

I think the Bengals are trending in a positive direction. Whether they can beat KC, who knows. Road teams have been doing well so far in the playoffs so anything is possible.

LisaLT

Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl but it was because of that awesome Ravens defense, not because of anything Dilfer did.
The NY Jets went to back to back AFC championship games with the Butt Fumbler at QB - that doesn't mean he was a great QB. They had a great ground and pound game to compensate for the lack of experience and skills of Sanchez.

If the Bucs didn't have Brady, do you think they would have won the super bowl last year? A great QB makes life a lot easier than having a game manager who is prone to making mistakes, or having to game plan around. My point is I think Burrow has the potential to become an elite QB, based on my limited evaluation of his on field performances. Time will tell.

bmoney214

OUCH!!!
The NY Jets went to back to back AFC championship games with the Butt Fumbler at QB - that doesn't mean he was a great QB. They had a great ground and pound game to compensate for the lack of experience and skills of Sanchez.

If the Bucs didn't have Brady, do you think they would have won the super bowl last year? A great QB makes life a lot easier than having a game manager who is prone to making mistakes, or having to game plan around. My point is I think Burrow has the potential to become an elite QB, based on my limited evaluation of his on field performances. Time will tell.
I think you're missing our point. In the NFL, you can make it to the Super Bowl without an elite QB.

Jimmy G and the Niners made the SuperBowl a few years ago and it was primarily because of a really good defense and running game.

Look at this year, same Matt Stafford as all those years in Detroit but you surround him with one of the best defenses in the league and give him the top wide receiver and now he's one win away from the Super Bowl. Not to mention Jimmy G says Hi again.

LisaLT

I think you're missing our point. In the NFL, you can make it to the Super Bowl without an elite QB.

Jimmy G and the Niners made the SuperBowl a few years ago and it was primarily because of a really good defense and running game.

Look at this year, same Matt Stafford as all those years in Detroit but you surround him with one of the best defenses in the league and give him the top wide receiver and now he's one win away from the Super Bowl. Not to mention Jimmy G says Hi again.
First, Jimmy is a very good QB. And yes, you can make it to the Super Bowl without an elite QB. The discussion was about Burrow and Dalton. Both have had success, but Burrow I believe is the better QB. That was my point. You can also have Tom Brady under center, and still lose. Or Dak Prescott. ;) I can think of some great QB's who never won a superbowl...

Wexahu

Andy Dalton is a great guy and had a nice NFL career where he made boatloads of cash, but he is nowhere near Joe Burrow in terms of being a QB. And I know it's a small sample size, but still. If there were a NFL draft of every player in the league right now, he'd be a Top 3-4 pick.

Wexahu

First, Jimmy is a very good QB. And yes, you can make it to the Super Bowl without an elite QB. The discussion was about Burrow and Dalton. Both have had success, but Burrow I believe is the better QB. That was my point. You can also have Tom Brady under center, and still lose. Or Dak Prescott. ;) I can think of some great QB's who never won a superbowl...
I know he had some studs WRs to throw to, but I'm not sure I've seen a better college QB than Burrow 2019. Almost every pass was just right on the money. It was something to watch.