• The KillerFrogs

Transformation Committee runs out of time!

Nick Danger

Below is a link to a lengthy Dennis Dodd article from early May that encapsulates all the problems facing the NCAA and their committee to Transform the NCAA, most notably the NIL issue. Towards the very end of the article he also addresses the issue of separating the current FBS schools into two separate sub-divisions (the Haves and the Have-Nots) with the higher "Have" Division being run by some new College Football Playoff organization geared towards football, while the lesser FBS schools will remain in a NCAA-run system.

The article mentions that the criteria being considered to determine which schools make the cut, and which ones don't, will be kept simple, and involve setting a minimum number of sports teams (Men and Women) that the "Have" Division schools must sponsor in order to be in the top tier CFP Division. The number being thrown around right now is a minimum of 20 teams, up from 16, with the thought being that that will create financial barriers, for many of the lesser schools, too great to bear, thereby shunting them (against their will) into the lesser NCAA-run Division.

But here's an interesting factoid about this potential development. After a cursory review (so I could be mis-reading the info) of the number of sports teams each of the current and future Big-12 teams sponsor, only one current and future Big-12 school (other than OU and UT) sponsors enough teams to meet the new, anticipated criteria, and guess who that is! :D :cool:

Dennis Dodd article!

Last edited:

JogginFrog

Hmm. The part about the minimum number of teams was not attributed to anyone on the Transformation Committee. Was it an off-the-record thing with a basis in reality, or is it just Dennis Dodd floating his own idea?

Nick Danger

Hmmm.... is the institution's current number of sponsored teams 21?
As far as I could tell yes! When Triathlon comes on board next year, that will bump TCU up to 22, although TCU lists both Indoor and Outdoor Track as separate sports, which may not fly! All the other Big-12 schools (again, not counting OU and UT) were in the 15 - 16 team range. That'll take quite a bit of cash for them to add 4 or 5 new programs in a relatively short period of time. Some may decide they can't afford it, or that they can't add that many quickly enough to get invited into the Club. I also doubt that many current Power 5 schools could afford Not to at least try to keep up!

There will probably be whole conferences (WAC, Sunbelt, C-USA etc.) that won't make the cut. That will also limit some Big-12 teams as potential candidates, should some conferences like the ACC or PAC-12 wish to expand to become one of the 16 team Super Conferences.

Last edited:

hiphopfroggy

As far as I could tell yes! When Triathlon comes on board next year, that will bump TCU up to 22, although TCU lists both Indoor and Outdoor Track as separate sports, which may not fly! All the other Big-12 schools (again, not counting OU and UT) were in the 15 - 16 team range. That'll take quite a bit of cash for them to add 4 or 5 new programs in a relatively short period of time. Some may decide they can't afford it, or that they can't add that many quickly enough to get invited into the Club.

That whole "thinning the herd" idea could lead to a new round of conference re-alignment, as some conferences could look to replace one or two of their less viable schools that can't make the cut! There will probably be whole conferences (WAC, Sunbelt, etc.) that won't make the cut.
yea I'm not 100% sure but I don't think indoor and outdoor track are two different programs. Still TCU at 20 with triathlon, which is going to be a great NCAA sport to follow!

LVH

I don't want to be apart of this new super league. I want it to happen then fail miserably without TCU being involved.

Toad Jones

Three weeks ago I wrote what I think will eventually happen. The college super league will be a farm to the pros. As they need a player, the pros call him up to the pros. Then the pros will compensate the Collège team for the money spent on that on that player who was called up. At that point there is no longer any responsibility in anyway shape with the college player. For example he may want to finish his degree program, if that happens he pays 100% and is treated like any student. (In the past, if the player is a big name and wants to continue his education, we have said to that player, don't concern with the fees and etc) The super league will be small in size, limited to exclusive schools only. Like Ohio State, ND, USC, Alabama, Geo...you get the idea I'm sure. What you think are big time colleges will not make it to the super league. Trying to narrow the gap between the have and the have nots.
Now then, a new commission, possibly the NCAA will regulate the NIL with selected monies per position. Much the same as the pros do now.. Transfer portal may go away to protect the regular leagues. Dodd I think is thinking along the same lines or close to it. That college committee spoken about above, who just ran out of time recently, that was done on purpose. They know or hv a darn good idea how this thing is going to shake out and they are willing to bide their time until the tv contracts run out. Then..well.. use your imagination. I've heard from some movers and shakers on this, some agree and some don't. That's okay in my book b/c at least the idea has been put out there for thought. One guy wrote and said, who did you learn of this. Then wrote be careful what you say for it might be what's coming in three years or less. Think that fellow knew more than he could say.

THREE WEEKS AGO ON THIS FORUM

Eight

As far as I could tell yes! When Triathlon comes on board next year, that will bump TCU up to 22, although TCU lists both Indoor and Outdoor Track as separate sports, which may not fly! All the other Big-12 schools (again, not counting OU and UT) were in the 15 - 16 team range. That'll take quite a bit of cash for them to add 4 or 5 new programs in a relatively short period of time. Some may decide they can't afford it, or that they can't add that many quickly enough to get invited into the Club. I also doubt that many current Power 5 schools could afford Not to at least try to keep up!

There will probably be whole conferences (WAC, Sunbelt, C-USA etc.) that won't make the cut. That will also limit some Big-12 teams as potential candidates, should some conferences like the ACC or PAC-12 wish to expand to become one of the 16 team Super Conferences.

had this debate with crypto before, but cross county, indoor track, and out door track all share coaching staffs and draw from the same pool of scholarships.

HG73

Three weeks ago I wrote what I think will eventually happen. The college super league will be a farm to the pros. As they need a player, the pros call him up to the pros. Then the pros will compensate the Collège team for the money spent on that on that player who was called up. At that point there is no longer any responsibility in anyway shape with the college player. For example he may want to finish his degree program, if that happens he pays 100% and is treated like any student. (In the past, if the player is a big name and wants to continue his education, we have said to that player, don't concern with the fees and etc) The super league will be small in size, limited to exclusive schools only. Like Ohio State, ND, USC, Alabama, Geo...you get the idea I'm sure. What you think are big time colleges will not make it to the super league. Trying to narrow the gap between the have and the have nots.
Now then, a new commission, possibly the NCAA will regulate the NIL with selected monies per position. Much the same as the pros do now.. Transfer portal may go away to protect the regular leagues. Dodd I think is thinking along the same lines or close to it. That college committee spoken about above, who just ran out of time recently, that was done on purpose. They know or hv a darn good idea how this thing is going to shake out and they are willing to bide their time until the tv contracts run out. Then..well.. use your imagination. I've heard from some movers and shakers on this, some agree and some don't. That's okay in my book b/c at least the idea has been put out there for thought. One guy wrote and said, who did you learn of this. Then wrote be careful what you say for it might be what's coming in three years or less. Think that fellow knew more than he could say.

Super league is already here. B1GSEC will make twice as much per team as the ACCBIG12PAC. If that's not a super league then I don't know what is. 30 teams before the B1G raids the PAC. Then the B1GSEC will have 32-36 teams in all the big TV markets coast to coast. Could easily have their own playoff.

I'm not preaching gloom and doom for the ACCBIG12PAC. These teams will be making $50mil per year and probably their champions will get into the expanded CFP. Those who succeed will be efficient in NIL and the trans portal. I think our team can do really well in this situation.

Nick Danger

had this debate with crypto before, but cross county, indoor track, and out door track all share coaching staffs and draw from the same pool of scholarships.
Well, if that's the case, then I guess that now puts us two short! The silver lining is that many other program will be more behind because I mistakenly gave them credit for Cross Country as well! :oops:

Some of our fellow Big-12 brethren, will now have to add 5 or 6, even 7, new programs! That'll be a pretty steep financial hill to climb. But now I'm also wondering if there is actually a current minimum number of sponsored sports (the article mentioned 16), because many schools wouldn't even meet the current 16 number! There were several I saw that only had 14 or 15 teams listed, and that was including Cross Country as a separate sport!

Last edited:

Eight

Well, if that's the case, then I guess that now puts us two short! The silver lining is that many other program will be more behind because I mistakenly gave them credit for Cross Country as well! :oops:

Some of our fellow Big-12 brethren, will now have to add 5 or 6, even 7, new programs! That'll be a pretty steep financial hill to climb. But now I'm also wondering if there is actually a current minimum number of sponsored sports (the article mentioned 16), because many schools wouldn't even meet the current 16 number! There were several I saw that only had 14 or 15 teams listed, and that was including Cross Country as a separate sport!

actually 4 short as both men and women list cross country, indoor track, and outdoor track as separate sports

Froggish

A model like you’re describing would still be a long ways off. Fake amateurism is going to go away kicking and screaming. I’m not saying it won’t happen but eroding ties with the education system is not near as easy as people are making it out to be. What people who are studying this stuff are running into is that it’s hard to quantify what detaching from the education system would do for the long term popularity of the sport. It’s not clear that people in Alabama, or anywhere else, would be as passionate about a team that wasn’t a part of the university system. Putting an “A” on the side of a helmet is not the same as the illusion that these are “kids” we go to school with. In addition the amateur model is one that likes to pretend it protects woman’s and Olympic sports by funding them with football money. At the end of the day a Semi-Pro super league sounds like a no brainer until you begin to unravel the emotional connection these schools have to the amateur illusion model.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Taxes for employer and employee? Medical/Disability Insurance?

That's a lot of baggage to carry around.
Said baggage soon to become 10-pound carry-on backpack Only in the overhead bin. Now sit down & enjoy your one mini-bag of pretzels in the middle seat.

Comedy (?) aside I fear that is where this is headed.